Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2009, 19:59   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSP9994 View Post
@Jaggu- I've used PPG Deltron Paint, and its not really much of a hotrod considering is produces a measly 52 BHP!!

@Rudra- You're most welcome to see it. I was planning to drive it up to bangalore early next month. As for the power steering, I don't want to loose any power from the engine unless it is ABSOLUTELY necessary, you cantr live in chennai without an A/C. even with the large stereing it feels like a truck to drive because of the fat tires.

I know she is not a hotrod according to engine spec, but she really looks like one and this was exactly the thing i was discussing with Mr Sen yesterday. Those FAT tires are going to be a handful at slow speeds and smaller dia steering wheel is like enrolling in Arnold regime at biceps.

Look forward to your update and definitely would want to meet up if you are in this part of town.
Old 11th May 2009, 20:03   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Thats a cute little car which is going to be a traffic stopper.Great job being done MSP 9994.wish you all the best!
Old 12th May 2009, 02:31   #18
BHPian

It is indeed a cute car but with lots of "ATTITUDE", Well Done!

Here in North America your car would be considered a "Custom" rather than a "Hot Rod". The days of Hot Rods has died down quite a bit, but customizing has taken up center stage. A lot of "bolt on" products are available to transform the looks and performance of our newer cars.

I've seen a few "custom" cars in Calcutta that were quite interesting and was pleased to see a thread started on "Hot Rods" with lots of interest and enthusiasm and look forward to see what materializes. There was a Fiat and Morris at the Tolly Car show that both sported mag wheels and looked quite "cool".

I saw an old Fiat that had a hot performance exhaust system installed that I understand upped the performance and certainly sounded serious. Something you might check out.

While my first preference is to see these cars restored, being realistic, it is not everyones cup of tea, however there are many younger people who would like what you have created and in the process save many cars that would otherwise be scrapped.

With so many of the same cars now running the streets it is very hard to stand out and express a degree of individuality. Your car lets the world know that you march to the beat of another drummer and I am sure you turn heads and bring about smiles.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
1949 Morris Minor Restoration-img_4175.jpg  

1949 Morris Minor Restoration-img_4177.jpg  

1949 Morris Minor Restoration-img_4178.jpg  

john a milne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2009, 00:16   #19
BANNED

Quote:

@JayD, predatorwheelz- I completely agree with you guys about modding classics but the car was too far gone to be restored. It just wasn't worth it, not for someone on a budget like mine atleast.
Forget about all the mods and other super stuff done on this morris, atleast with a new heart and new shoes, this car which otherwise would be meant to junk is saved.

Good work man, its neat and what budget are you talking, you have spent more on the car than it would cost you in getting it original.

Nice piece, wish you a happy motoring
Old 14th May 2009, 00:27   #20
Senior - BHPian

I feel the modern mags dont suit the MM.It rather looks like a drag racer than a vintage classic.
Old 17th May 2009, 21:02   #21
BHPian

Here are some pics of a (hot rodded or custom)Morris Minor Ute shot in Australia:
1949 Morris Minor Restoration-dsc06130.jpg
1949 Morris Minor Restoration-dsc06128.jpg
1949 Morris Minor Restoration-dsc06129.jpg
Old 2nd October 2009, 16:59   #22
BHPian

hey guys just let me know if mm 51 with side valve engine ever came with single piece windscreen(not a split screen)or is it possible to fit a single screen on a split screen mm51
Old 2nd October 2009, 17:17   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've used PPG Deltron Paint
That paint finishing is simply fantastic and the gleam it produces is brimming with ebullience. Great job !

You have not posted any more pics after the second coat of paint. Would like to know where the paintwork was done and how much did it set you back by. Thanks.
Old 5th October 2009, 17:48   #24
BHPian

I was going through the book 'Original Morris Minor', by Ray Newell, published by Bay View Books. This book gives photos and originality tips regarding Morris Minors from the early low lights to the Morris 1000 and their variants. This is what it has to say on the engine colour of series MM cars:
"The cast iron block and cylinder head along with the alloy sump were painted grey on the majority of cars. Howver, some cars were originally supplied with engines painted in light blue, others were finished in red and towards the end of production, green was introduced. Lack of adhesion of the paint applied to the alloy sump has resulted in some restorers leaving the sump unpainted. Evidence from early photographs and workshop manuals suports the view that this item was originally painted."
There are several other details regarding originality in the book that Pavan would find most useful.
Regarding Karlos's point on the colour of the wheels, from this book it seems that series MM cars had wheels that were painted body colour. The early lowlight cars carried the white coachline on the wheel disc, but plain chromed hubcaps. Later series MM cars dispensed with the coachline, but had the familiar Morris hubcaps with the 'M' embossed. The cream wheels came in with the introduction of the Morris Minor 1000 in 1956. These wheels were also of a different design - the indentations on the wheel for securing the hubcap were now embossed as part of the pressing. The earlier wheels had three conical studs that were riveted to the wheel for this purpose.
On Karlos's question whether convertibles were manufactured in India, my guess is there were not - at least I have not seen one yet.
However, very early Morris Minors, the lowlight ones, were indeed assembled in India by Addisons and co in Madras from CKD kits. With the assembly of about 3000 such cars, they hoped to earn the credentials to secure a licence for manufacture of the car. However, it was Hindusthan Motors that prevailed and they manufactured the later version as the Baby Hindusthan.
Old 5th October 2009, 21:14   #25
Senior - BHPian

HI Tonrag

I think Addisons also assembled the earlier Morris 8 convertibles too the ones refered to as "cut door" Morris.

I recollect restoring one such car which had a plate on it with the Addisons name on it.
Old 6th October 2009, 11:00   #26
BHPian

Oops! Just realised that my earlier post is in the wrong thread! That was meant to be in Pavan's thread on his Minor convertible restoration, which appears in the post war classics forum. I'll repost it there too.
Old 6th October 2009, 11:10   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrag View Post
I was going through the book 'Original Morris Minor', by Ray Newell, published by Bay View Books.

Regarding Karlos's point on the colour of the wheels, from this book it seems that series MM cars had wheels that were painted body colour. The early lowlight cars carried the white coachline on the wheel disc, but plain chromed hubcaps. Later series MM cars dispensed with the coachline, but had the familiar Morris hubcaps with the 'M' embossed. The cream wheels came in with the introduction of the Morris Minor 1000 in 1956.
Thanks for that informative post. I still have a doubt about Indian market cars though. The owner of the brown cabrio I posted elsewhere also owns a 4 door highlight sedan (I forget which year, but not 'Tiger'). It is a lovely green colour with a tinge of blue. It was bought when it was just a few months old, so for all practical purposes I treat it as a single owner car. It sports ivory wheels. The man is a stickler for originality, and I doubt he would have changed the wheel colour (though I will phone and confirm with him). For many years it would sport a sticker on the rear windscreen that said "Another Nuffield product" or something of the sort, which his cleaner one day unfortunately scraped off, after the owner had carefully preserved for so many years!
Old 6th October 2009, 12:52   #28
BHPian

Karlos, I admit that what I've quoted from the book may not be the final view. In fact, researching originality is an ongoing exercise and new information is always coming through. You could well be right because sometimes changeovers were gradual, rather than pinpointed to a date. I'm a member of a very vigorous MG TC online club and furious arguments ensue regarding when one or the other change came about. More often than not, they are inconclusive as it is discovered that parts were not assembled in the factory in the strict sequence in which they were produced. Moreover, export versions were always different from domestic ones. Sometimes, one willingly moves away from originality too. For instance, my own Morris Lowlight should not sport the embossed hubcaps but I have them on, because I like them! One looks forward to further insights from you, based on your friend's cars. It is involved discussions like this that I like best about our hobby!

Last edited by tonrag : 6th October 2009 at 12:58.
Old 6th October 2009, 14:01   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrag View Post
Sometimes, one willingly moves away from originality too. For instance, my own Morris Lowlight should not sport the embossed hubcaps but I have them on, because I like them! One looks forward to further insights from you, based on your friend's cars. It is involved discussions like this that I like best about our hobby!
Very true - a period "upgrade" that adds to or improves the look of the car is rarely frowned upon. Infact I too have a set of 'M' logo wheelcaps to go on my Amby once restored, alongwith the 'M' logo steering boss. Just for kicks, plus it is instantly reversable.
Old 24th January 2010, 04:21   #30

sad to see a rare beauty falling in the trap of "performance mods"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks