Team-BHP - 1949 Morris Minor Restoration
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Pre-War (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-war/)
-   -   1949 Morris Minor Restoration (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-war/44910-1949-morris-minor-restoration.html)

Hey, I own 2 morris minors, a 1949 tourer and a 1950 sedan. Any of you guys know where i can get an orriginal engine and gearbox set? The one on the sedan has a crack i it and the 3rd and 4th gears are completely shaved off. And how much would i get for the tourer? Its almost completely original except for a few bits like the tail lights and the lack of trafficators. It was registered July 1949 and has the original engine from the r/c book. Theres almost no rust and the engine is in excellent condition along with the original s.u carb and centrifugal advance distributor. The fuel guage doesn't work and the switches are from an amby. The Chassis no. is SMM 4403 so i guess its a pretty early model since the first car that rolled out was SMM 501. Please help if u guys hav any info. Thnx in advance!!

Engine crack can be welded. I have done it for 3 cars so far.Gear wheels, get them made.Do not sell the cars.. They are hard to get.Tail lights (glass),if you get in India costs 4K per pair.I bought a pair recently.Trafficators- Internet is the source. There is one guy selling reconditioned ones.These are known as "Semaphore Trafficators".If you need any help,let me know. Suggest you become a member of Morris Minor Club either in UK or Australia

Hey C.S.ANANTH thanks for the info. Can u suggest anyone in particular who can weld the crack and make the gears? And I have looked for the rear lens in chennai but no one seems to have it.

Try Engine Clinic at Ambattur. Normally they weld large marine engines. You need to meet them & persuade them. Gears, get them welded & machined. Off hand I do not know because I've not done this work. Rear lens-try Bangalore

Some comments from Harit.

Quote:

I was out for a while and came yesterday. This site is addictive to some extent and I went through some posts. No doubt Mr. Ananth has been restoring cars and I do not want to contradict him. He is right, blocks can be welded but that is not the best way to repair cracked engine blocks. The best way is metal stitching, I have done this to some of my engines. It is an expensive proposition, but effective.
Perhaps for smaller sized engines welding is OK, but for larger engines welding is not a good idea. I know of blocks which have been ruined by welding, Buick straight eight blocks. This is something like Surelock advertised in the Magazines. I have a block where a part of the water jacket was missing, we casted a similar size piece and metal stitched it into place. Engine not yet fired up because of other problems, but the job looks neat.

Harit

Its been a while since i opened this thread and i gave up on welding/stitching the engine a long time ago. Instead I decided to "Modernize" the car (Relatively) and turn it into something I can use on a daily basis (good fuel efficiency and just about enough power to keep up with traffic). So i went in for the Nissan A12 engine (stamped "Made in Japan") from the 118NE as well as the gearbox and differential.The engine has been completely rebuilt and the head ported and polished with new valves/valve seats. The front discs are from the Accent and the rear drums are stock 118NE re-machined to 100 PCD. The pics are a bit old and since then i have replaced all the lever arm dampers with telescopic shocks. Pedders Gypsy rear shocks in the rear and M800 rear shocks in the front. There is also no exhaust piping/muffler in the pics which has been added now(1.75" till the muffler and 2" from it, the exhaust comes out on the side just before rear right wheel). Still have to fit an A/C, headers and a larger carb but not till I run-in the engine. Oh yeah, and i have to do something about the wheels, they're sticking out way too much.
The car is still a work in progress so feel free to give your inputs/criticisms.

1949 Morris Minor Restoration-img_1140.jpg

1949 Morris Minor Restoration-img_1138.jpg

1949 Morris Minor Restoration-img_1136.jpg

1949 Morris Minor Restoration-img_1141.jpg

1949 Morris Minor Restoration-img_1120.jpg

1949 Morris Minor Restoration-img_1105.jpg

1949 Morris Minor Restoration-img_1029.jpg

1949 Morris Minor Restoration-img_1009.jpg

1949 Morris Minor Restoration-img_1028.jpg

1949 Morris Minor Restoration-img_1005.jpg

Amazing stuff man !

Looks real nice, this the Morris 1000 rite ??

BTW,and where did you get all the work done mate ? work done is really neat !

Cheers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by vibhu_f430 (Post 1296505)
Amazing stuff man !

Looks real nice, this the Morris 1000 rite ??

BTW,and where did you get all the work done mate ? work done is really neat !

Cheers!

Thnx a lot man.
Its a Morris Minor MM 1950 model. Much older than the 1000.
The works being done at Electra Automotive, they're on OMR opposite YMCA.

:Shockked: Fantastic! She looks stunning! Hot rod shtyleee!

What paint have you used?

Love to hear more details and see pics of the hot rod job!

Simply fantastic!. Like to see this beauty next time I'm in Chennai.

Are you planning to change your steering wheel to a smaller dia one? Turning may turn into a problem but it will give you that tighter look.

Any plan for power steering since you're at it? :D

I simply love the way you have hot-rodded your lowlight Morris:thumbs up.

Yes, like Rudra suggested, go in for a steering with a smaller dia.

Well executed, the car does retain its original character. Paint and detailing looks great as well. Wish you happy motoring ahead.

Even though i'm not a huge fan of modding classics, i must say, this one looks great! Has a real neat hot-roddish look to it. Nice subtle and classy work!!

MSP9994 - Congratulations on your modded machine. Its a distinctive ride. But I'm sorry if I cannot share the enthusiasm levels of a few others. Have never been a fan of modding classics.

Thanks for the Morris Minor manual you had posted on the classic manuals thread. It was very comprehensive. At that time, I was planning to pick up a series MM in Kolkata myself. Sadly, the owner refused to sell it. This is the thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1284819

@Jaggu- I've used PPG Deltron Paint, and its not really much of a hotrod considering is produces a measly 52 BHP!!

@Rudra- You're most welcome to see it. I was planning to drive it up to bangalore early next month. As for the power steering, I don't want to loose any power from the engine unless it is ABSOLUTELY necessary, you cantr live in chennai without an A/C. even with the large stereing it feels like a truck to drive because of the fat tires.

@karlos- I've tried to make it look sa original as possible since i didn't to mod it anyway. all the bodywork/trim except the wheels (changed due to change in PCD), the instrument cluster (just could'nt get the stock gauges to work with the 118NE running gear) and the tail lights (Got hit by one of those crazy Sumo taxis) are original.

@JayD, predatorwheelz- I completely agree with you guys about modding classics but the car was too far gone to be restored. It just wasn't worth it, not for someone on a budget like mine atleast. If its any consolation, I did buy another Minor, a 1949 Tourer, and got it back to original with all the parts that were removed from this car.

The cars in for another coat of paint now and some final bits of bodywork, i'll update you guys as soon as i can. Thnx a lot to all of you for you're support.