Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2008, 12:31   #1
BHPian

Ford World War II Jeep 4X4 in Bangy!!

Hi Friends,

Just came across a colleague in my company who has a vintage Ford WWII Jeep 4X4 which in very good condition and he is an avid Offroader :-). He also has a moded Yamaha RX 135 (First Batch) which is a single seater!

Attached the two images of the Jeep as of today, please comment!!.

I have requested me to allow to sit in this legnd and get a feel of it, hope it will happen very soon and when it happens, will post few more pics, till then enjoy this Beauty and Beast.

P:S: As the image size was bigger than 1 MB, had to put them in PDF :(

MODS: Please move / merge this thread if this is not the right place.

reachmash
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ford WWII Jeep.pdf (501.8 KB, 3023 views)
Old 29th September 2008, 13:21   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reachmash View Post
Hi Friends,

Just came across a colleague in my company who has a vintage Ford WWII Jeep 4X4 which in very good condition and he is an avid Offroader :-). He also has a moded Yamaha RX 135 (First Batch) which is a single seater!

Attached the two images of the Jeep as of today, please comment!!.

I have requested me to allow to sit in this legnd and get a feel of it, hope it will happen very soon and when it happens, will post few more pics, till then enjoy this Beauty and Beast.

MODS: Please move / merge this thread if this is not the right place.

reachmash
Hi Reachmash,

Overall thats a really nice Jeep your friend has there, but theres a few things i've noticed -
1) The fuel filler is located on the side of the car - In the WWII cars the tank is located under the seat and you have to lift the drivers seat to fill it up.
2) Its RHD. Is this a modification your friend has made? American cars came as LHD
3) The body lines and gaps between panels are a bit excessive. The windscreen frame seems ok, but the windscreen its self i dont think is original.
4) The spade and picaxe are on thw wrong side. They are usally on the Left of the car. PLus the axe is missing.

It seems to me like this car has some parts from the WWII jeeps, but alot of it seems to be from newer jeeps. I think mainly off the newer Willys.

Ofcourse theres people on here with alot more knowledge about these things. Hopefully they will comment.
Old 29th September 2008, 13:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Bang on Sameer. The fact that its a RHD makes it unoriginal at first sight. No MB was ever manufactured as a RHD, so this is obviosuly a converted effort. Please post interior pics and the engine pics. I hope the original side valve has not made way for a diesel heart.
Old 29th September 2008, 13:45   #4
BHPian

Reachmash,

Like V-16 said, some more photos would be nice.
Old 29th September 2008, 14:15   #5
BHPian

Here's some photos of a jeep that i know fairly well. Its not the most original, but a good example. The Jeeps still got its original side valve engine and both gearboxes. It's also done its fair bit of Off-roading and as far as i know has never broken down. I think this photo is about 2yrs old.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford World War II Jeep 4X4 in Bangy!!-cimg0103.jpg  

Ford World War II Jeep 4X4 in Bangy!!-cimg0104.jpg  

Ford World War II Jeep 4X4 in Bangy!!-cimg0107.jpg  

Old 29th September 2008, 14:36   #6
BHPian

Wow, I am seeing this Jeep after 5 years. The world is indeed such a small place and T-bhp makes it even smaller :-)

~10 years ago, it was this very Ford Jeep that made me love the WW-II Jeeps. I saw this Jeep near my house and can still remember being fascinated by the Spade, Pickaxe, Shovel etc. I rang the door-bell and introduced myself to the owner(a friendly chap, who was into anything antique). It was he who educated me about WW-II Jeeps. He showed the special contraptions, tool-box under the rear seat, petrol tank etc. It was all original with Left-Hand Drive, Original Steering and petrol engine. Until ~6 years ago, the owner decided to convert it to RHD and plonk a Peugeot Diesel Engine. I learnt from the owner that he wanted to sell it for around 1.5lacs. Inspite of the conversion, I still wanted to own it. Since I was not earning then, I could only hope that it would stay for another year so I buy it when I started earning . Many of you may not believe it. When I got my first job, I checked if the Jeep was still available (within the very same week). But Alas, it had been sold about three months prior to that. On retrospect, I feel I couldn't have bought the Jeep (due to certain incidents) but you never know.

I recognise the Jeep because of that Brass Ford Logo on the windshield(not originally from the Ford GPW), the number MYH, the extra pair of lights and the low roll-cage\piping (I hated this mod because it was welded to the body).

My love for the Fords and Willys WW-II Jeeps have only increased since then, but so have the prices. Someday, someday in this very life time, I will own a WW-II Jeep and restore it like Dussey's:-)

Last edited by S@~+#0$# : 29th September 2008 at 14:38.
Old 29th September 2008, 14:45   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
Wow, I am seeing this Jeep after 5 years. The world is indeed such a small place and T-bhp makes it even smaller :-)

~10 years ago, it was this very Ford Jeep that made me love the WW-II Jeeps. I saw this Jeep near my house and can still remember being fascinated by the Spade, Pickaxe, Shovel etc. I rang the door-bell and introduced myself to the owner(a friendly chap, who was into anything antique). It was he who educated me about WW-II Jeeps. He showed the special contraptions, tool-box under the rear seat, petrol tank etc. It was all original with Left-Hand Drive, Original Steering and petrol engine. Until ~6 years ago, the owner decided to convert it to RHD and plonk a Peugeot Diesel Engine. I learnt from the owner that he wanted to sell it for around 1.5lacs. Inspite of the conversion, I still wanted to own it. Since I was not earning then, I could only hope that it would stay for another year so I buy it when I started earning . Many of you may not believe it. When I got my first job, I checked if the Jeep was still available (within the very same week). But Alas, it had been sold about three months prior to that. On retrospect, I feel I couldn't have bought the Jeep (due to certain incidents) but you never know.

I recognise the Jeep because of that Brass Ford Logo on the windshield(not originally from the Ford GPW), the number MYH, the extra pair of lights and the low roll-cage\piping (I hated this mod because it was welded to the body).

My love for the Fords and Willys WW-II Jeeps have only increased since then, but so have the prices. Someday, someday in this very life time, I will own a WW-II Jeep and restore it like Dussey's:-)

Its sad that the engine and steering were changed. I think it destroys the authenticity of the car. The car i've posted above has had a 12V changeover and a 2nd electronic fuel pump, to help when the manual heats up. I dont think its had any other mechanical modifications.

You can make out the roll-cage, i was going to comment on it, but i though it was a seat frame.

Its nice to see that you have such a great love for WWII jeeps.
Old 30th October 2008, 02:27   #8
BHPian

I suppose this must belong here, am I correct in presuming this isn't quite in original trim? Were these optional factory extras?

Ford World War II Jeep 4X4 in Bangy!!-jeep.jpg
Photo by Andrew Blake
Old 30th October 2008, 07:41   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
I suppose this must belong here, am I correct in presuming this isn't quite in original trim? Were these optional factory extras?

Attachment 64968
Photo by Andrew Blake
On second thoughts, is it a jeep at heart at all? It looks like some morris / austin wanting to be a jeep.
Old 30th October 2008, 08:43   #10
Team-BHP Support

One more point, the WWII Jeeps had full-floating axle on the rear, this one has semi-floating axle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
1) The fuel filler is located on the side of the car - In the WWII cars the tank is located under the seat and you have to lift the drivers seat to fill it up.
Are you sure, even my CJ340 has tank under seat, but the filler is on the side of the Jeep.

Check this WWII Jeep I shot recently.
Ford World War II Jeep 4X4 in Bangy!!-p9201834.jpg

More pics here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...tml#post994726
Old 30th October 2008, 10:42   #11
BANNED

Took this (quite hopeless) picture of a moving Jeep in May 2008 on Varthur Road. It had a TN registration to the best of my memory.

Ford World War II Jeep 4X4 in Bangy!!-img_00242.jpg
Old 30th October 2008, 13:52   #12
BHPian

Samurai - I am not sure if there were some models that came out with fuel fillers on the side, but if you google WWII Jeeps, you won't come across any with the fillers showing (atleast i did'nt). Theres a few things with the car you posted - The spare wheel and Jerry can seem to have swaped places. The area around the fuel filler looks fabricated. The Exhaust is in the wrong place and the lights seem to be of a later model.

There's people on here with alot more Jeep experience than me - maybe they could help. It might just be a model i dont know much about.

Here some photos of WWII Jeeps and there's no fuel fillers visible (Took them off the internet - hope that's ok). Also look at the photos of the Jeep i posted.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford World War II Jeep 4X4 in Bangy!!-1944fordgpwmilitaryjeep1.jpg  

Ford World War II Jeep 4X4 in Bangy!!-berniegaumgermany43gpw.jpg  

Ford World War II Jeep 4X4 in Bangy!!-fordgpw.jpg  

Last edited by Samir Taheer : 30th October 2008 at 13:54.
Old 30th October 2008, 14:22   #13
BHPian

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by reachmash View Post
Hi Friends,

Off topic - Can we directly save an image as PDF?
If you are using photoshop, might as well export it as a JPEG.
Old 5th November 2008, 23:56   #14
BHPian

all orignal ford ww2 jeeps came with split rims as well ,which is rather rare to find today,besides the jerry can has a wide thread type opening which is different from the regular clip type seen on the willys, visible in the second pic of samirs.
Old 6th November 2008, 14:00   #15
BHPian

I think the type of Jerry can used, depended on the place that the jeep was in. I have seen some original Jerry cans with the clip type opening as well. But yes there was also the threaded style spout with the four 'wing' on the cap.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks