Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2008, 10:51   #76
BHPian

Awesome pictures. Thank you very much.

I may sound stupid, but was curious: When the Nizam started importing cars, I am sure he would have had a chauffeur. Were the chauffers' trained abroad or here? I am not too sure if there were a lot of people with driving skills at that time.
Old 7th October 2008, 11:25   #77
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post
Awesome pictures. Thank you very much.

I may sound stupid, but was curious: When the Nizam started importing cars, I am sure he would have had a chauffeur. Were the chauffers' trained abroad or here? I am not too sure if there were a lot of people with driving skills at that time.
Interesting observation! I have read that Rolls Royce did have a driver training course in England. Quite possibly the local agents or the factory would have conducted courses here. Infact I was quite amused to read the whole "song and dance" sequence of starting a RR Ghost. There are so many things one must do before you can fire up a Ghost!! That car sure is a fiddler's delight
Old 7th October 2008, 12:36   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Infact I was quite amused to read the whole "song and dance" sequence of starting a RR Ghost. There are so many things one must do before you can fire up a Ghost!! That car sure is a fiddler's delight
It would be interesting if you could post up on the sequence. We have had 2 Rovers and an MG - All belonging to my late grandfather. The cars had their own share of fun too, expecially once started.

Sadly, the only remaining piece is an 1918 Rover 6, ofcourse in pucca running condition. The other 2, a 37 Rover as well as a 40s MG were sold recently!
Old 7th October 2008, 20:46   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
It would be interesting if you could post up on the sequence. We have had 2 Rovers and an MG - All belonging to my late grandfather. The cars had their own share of fun too, expecially once started.

Sadly, the only remaining piece is an 1918 Rover 6, ofcourse in pucca running condition. The other 2, a 37 Rover as well as a 40s MG were sold recently!
I suppose these were the Rover and MG that were sold?

The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages-rover01.jpg
The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages-mg03.jpg

This 1918 Rover you speak of sounds very interesting. Can you share some details with us? Pics would be great.
Old 7th October 2008, 21:29   #80
Senior - BHPian

The first picture in your post is the one that's remaining with Headers' family.
The lines tell me its a 30s design.
Old 7th October 2008, 21:49   #81
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Here you go Julian, engine shots of:

The Fiat

The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages-mvc004f_7.jpg

Name:  MVC017F_5.JPG
Views: 5206
Size:  65.3 KB

The Rolls Royce

The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages-mvc038f_3_2.jpg

The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages-mvc041f_4.jpg

The Napier (as shown in my initial post positioned after the Fiat)

The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages-mvc051f_3.jpg

The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages-mvc054f_3.jpg

The second Napier

The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages-mvc067f_4.jpg

The Wolseley

The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages-mvc085f_2.jpg

The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages-mvc086f_2.jpg
DKG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2008, 22:54   #82
c10
BHPian

Hey DKG,
I'm really out of words looking at the collection of these beauties which is in my neighbouring state..!!

Million Thanks to you & all the people involved for their interest in trying to get a new home for these World Beauties..!!

Hope they get restored someday..

Am looking forward to see them all during my next vist to Hyd..

Cheers,
c10.

Last edited by c10 : 7th October 2008 at 22:56.
Old 8th October 2008, 03:16   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Here you go Julian, engine shots of:
Thanks DKG, magnificent, they are all looking in remarkably good shape. I hope they changed the oil every now and again.
Old 8th October 2008, 09:23   #84
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
Thanks DKG, magnificent, they are all looking in remarkably good shape. I hope they changed the oil every now and again.
I wouldn't know but can initiate having fresh oil put in and the engines turned. I did notice the crank to turn when I spun the rear wheels on stands.
Old 8th October 2008, 14:43   #85
BHPian

Quote:
I wouldn't know but can initiate having fresh oil put in and the engines turned. I did notice the crank to turn when I spun the rear wheels on stands.
Also the gearboxes and differentials. and lots of oil down the plug holes.
Contrary to popular belief the worst thing to do would be to try and start them. I expect there will be corrosion damage to journals, shafts and surfaces in a lot of places and oilways blocked with dried up oil sludge and grease. The gearboxes and differentials will benefit most from being emptied of old acidic oil before it does any more damage. A dozen cans of WD40 would also be good too for damage limitation.
It would also be better to have stands that support the chassis', not the axles, which would take the weight off the leaf springs. They've earnt a rest.
Old 8th October 2008, 15:24   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Im sure most cars haven't run in ages, but what about the better looking later cars like the Buick, Packard and Ford? When was the last time they ran?
Old 8th October 2008, 15:51   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Deepak, This thread is like history unfolding itself. Going back into time -- a literal time machine.

Thanks for sharing and many many thanks for making this happen. I bet you must have loved every moment of this process -- sleepless nights and tons of excitement.

I will be in Hyd from 13th -15th Oct. Will this be open then? If yes, will try and see these.

PS: Your post about hearing stories from elders reminded me of my old maternal uncles who could tell stories for days at end and we children would just keep on hearing one after the other and doze off late into the night.

Cheers,
Old 8th October 2008, 17:25   #88
BHPian

Thanks For The Fantastic Thread - The Info And Pics Are Simply Awesome!
Old 8th October 2008, 20:46   #89
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
Also the gearboxes and differentials. and lots of oil down the plug holes....
Will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Im sure most cars haven't run in ages, but what about the better looking later cars like the Buick, Packard and Ford? When was the last time they ran?
The Ford, which most probably is a 1934 Ford, was used by the seventh Nizam Mir Osman Ali Khan only for the purpose of visiting the mosque inside Public Gardens for the Friday prayers. The car apparently did no other duty.

He apparently used a earlier Humber tourer followed by the Humber Pullman limousine. In later years it was the Dodge (also posted in the thread) that he used.

Prince Mukkaramjah used an Oldsmobile. The Buick originally was brought in for use by Ali Pasha, who was the son-in-law of the seventh Nizam's daughter. The car later was shifted for the Prince's use and he used it occasionally.

The Packard though brought in for the seventh Nizam wasn't used either by him or the Prince. Dad often encouraged the Prince, unsuccessfully, to use it. It apparently remained part of the convoy and has clocked less than 7k miles. I remember seeing it once on the road in late sixties.

The Rolls was started once every few years and may have been driven a few miles at best collectively within the Chiraan Palace compound. The old mechanic Ali who worked on our cars and under whose guidance I overhauled the 38 engine was the man entrusted on occasion with firing her up.

Prince Mukkaramjah also loved driving Jeeps and has quite a few with him. Although he drove them mostly within the Chiraan Palace compound, and mind you there's a couple of kms of driveways within the compound, only once does Dad remember him driving into our home with his Australian wife in the Jeep. I always remember him coming in the Oldsmobile.

To the best of my knowledge I don't think the Napiers, Fiat or the Wolseley would have been started in over 70 years!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
I will be in Hyd from 13th -15th Oct. Will this be open then? If yes, will try and see these.
Shahnawaz while the display of the cars may not be open by then the Chowmahalla Palace is worth the visit if you enjoy heritage structures.

Last edited by DKG : 8th October 2008 at 20:47.
Old 12th October 2008, 10:54   #90
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Julian any leads on identifying the correct model and year based on the chassis numbers? Considering the Nizam had ordered a fleet of these Napiers would they all be closer to 1910? And the ones surviving are they the 60hp model? I'm hitting a deadend in terms of info on the net. Would appreciate you help.

Thanks a ton for the lovely pictures and sales literature. I gather from the Napier heritage site that S.F. Edge did visit Hyderabad and following a lunch with the Nizam ended up with an order for a fleet of Napiers. Wonder which year the visit took place.

Last edited by DKG : 12th October 2008 at 10:56.

Most Viewed