Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2011, 11:33   #166
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attari View Post
Great to see the car back in Hyderabad.. In the pictures above I dont see the tail light that was present on the car at the cartier rally... Any idea what happen to it??
Its there Saif, I pointed that out as soon as I saw the car and the staff assured me they will hang it back on when it goes into its permanent display

The setting is gorgeous. It was such a charming and lovely evening. Seriously I think we should have a annual Chowmahalla Concours de Elegance. You can't ask for a better setting. Now to get a sponsor !! Anyone friends with Vijay Mallya? Kingfisher could do something like that and turn it into a major annual bash !! Good times for sure !!
Old 1st April 2011, 14:48   #167
Senior - BHPian

Where is teh car going to be housed now that it is back in Hyderabad. Is there any qualified help to look after the car and ensure it stays in this shape for a long time to come.

It would be a pity if the car is put back in that glass display with the other cars and left standing, It needs a much more elaborate and sympathetic storage / display solution.
Old 1st April 2011, 17:15   #168
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Where is teh car going to be housed now...
Its going onto one of the gazebo's in the bandstand area adjacent to where the cars are in the lawns. It will be glassed in.

Hyderabad weather is very easy on cars so its not that you need to break your head about preservation. Unless you are referring to periodic starting which I doubt will happen. What are your fears in terms of it not lasting long?
Old 6th July 2011, 17:11   #169

Hello,

I am a brand new member of this forum and this is my first post (other than my introduction post). I am a 53-year-old airline pilot based in the USA and I was searching recently for information on the automobile collection of HEH Nizam VII. I found this thread and the amazing stories of the recovery and restoration of these vehicles. Outstanding!

Anyway, I wondered if (hoped) there is more information or records of this collection of cars, trucks, and motorcyles.

A November 31, 1931 TIME Magazine article stated the Nizam had over 400 automobiles in his collection. I am curious if there exists any form of inventory of, or records from, this collection as it existed then and (if I am lucky enough to learn there are such records, what happened to all the vehicles).

I understand that eight of the recovered vehicles are on display at Chowmahalla Palace, but are there others elsewhere, or any records or stories about them? I saw the pictures of the Indian and Harley motorcycles and wondered if there are records of more bikes of different types.

Any help directing me to places where I might find answers would be greatly appreciated.
Old 7th July 2011, 10:19   #170
Senior - BHPian

Hi Mark.

Th car collection of the Nizam was indeed one of the most extensive ones in its times but unfortunately most of them were disposed of post merger with India.

I have heard stories from elders in Hyderbad about various Packards, Bentleys and Rolls Royces that were part of the collection.

Some of the cars like the 540K Mercs are known to be around, albiet out of India. Check the Mercedes cars in India thread for info on them.

Out of the two Duesenbergs that were brought to Hydeabad one is to be found in the General William Lyons collectin in California. Check the Duesenbergs in India thread.

Similarly other cars from the Nizam's stables are spread around India. The Jodhpur Delahaye that won the best of Show at the first Cartier event is also said to have been a Hyderabad car. There is a Bentley in Calcutta also from Hyderabad.

There two bikes, Indian and Harley are also to eb seen lying at Chowmohalla. They are unrestored and are not displayed properly.

The Nizam had a Austin Champ too which is with a collector in Hyderabad.

I am sure there were records of the cars the family owned but the ae not in the public domain. Would be great if someone could get their hands on these.

In the King Kothi complex the garage, know in Urdu as "motor khana" was an extensive area with a number of garages built in a horseshoe shape with a courtyard in fromt. Unfortunately this structure is no more extant.
Old 7th July 2011, 11:36   #171
Senior - BHPian

There are ex-Nizam cars with the "Chamas" collection, Caddy, Dodge, Packard? I forgot what all he has from there.
Many Nizam cars were with his relatives, and then passed on.
The Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost of 1912 was restored, can be seen here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ce-2011-a.html page 3 post 38 onwards.
The present Nizam still uses a lot of older Jeeps.

Cheers harit
Old 10th July 2011, 09:56   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
There are ex-Nizam cars with the "Chamas" collection, Caddy, Dodge, Packard? I forgot what all he has from there.
Many Nizam cars were with his relatives, and then passed on.
The Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost of 1912 was restored, can be seen here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ce-2011-a.html page 3 post 38 onwards.
The present Nizam still uses a lot of older Jeeps.

Cheers harit
You must be refering to the "Cherma's" Collection here Harit.

They do have the Caddy and the Dodge but which Packard are you referring to.

The current Nizam indeed has a thing for Jeeps and there are several with them that are still in occasional use.
Old 11th July 2011, 00:16   #173
Senior - BHPian

The Nizam's Throne car today kept in its enclosure. I would be surprised if the car is started once in a while after its stationed in its current parking bay .

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages-dscn2750.jpg  

kasli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2011, 13:10   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
You must be refering to the "Cherma's" Collection ........but which Packard are you referring to.....
The Packard was a light grey/blue sedan post 1950, and I had seen it at a service station about 20 years ago. In India post 1950 Packards are seldom seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
The Nizam's Throne car today kept in its enclosure. I would be surprised if the car is started once in a while after its stationed in its current parking bay . Cheers
Nice setting and display, will be a shame if she is now looked after. She was not working well in Delhi, should be worked on a bit more and kept in use in a limited way.

Cheers harit
Old 20th July 2011, 10:57   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Its going onto one of the gazebo's in the bandstand area adjacent to where the cars are in the lawns. It will be glassed in.
DKG,
Amazing thread, kudos to your dedication and work. Guess you are lucky to be associated with these jewels of Indian Automobile's history.
This makes me believe that a visit to Hyderabad is a must
Old 31st October 2011, 13:48   #176
BHPian

@Rahul Waghmare,Excellent pics bro love to that roller against the amazing background of chowmahalla palace, truely a car for a nawab!
zeemmee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2011, 07:00   #177
tdf

A video of Duesenberg 499 is posted by BB4Cars.
I was pleased to see it again.
Old 18th February 2012, 06:59   #178
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Recently at a celebration marking completion of 100 years by the Rolls the Princess stated that both the Napiers would be restored as well.

I feel it's a huge blunder to restore these cars as they are such a precious exhibit as is but then my opinion is of no consequence and those who desire to see them restored will see that day soon
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2012, 11:20   #179
BHPian

The two Napiers and a Minerva are in the process of getting done up in preparation for the next Cartier show to be held in Bombay in feb or march 2013. One of these three obviously will be given the CONCOURS. I am not aware of the other cars invited but I am sure all invitations would have by now gone out to enable one and all to begin preparing their cars for the show.
Bulldogji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2012, 14:46   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
The two Napiers and a Minerva are in the process of getting done up in preparation for the next Cartier show to be held in Bombay in feb or march 2013. One of these three obviously will be given the CONCOURS. I am not aware of the other cars invited but I am sure all invitations would have by now gone out to enable one and all to begin preparing their cars for the show.
What Minerva and who owns it ? Any pics ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks