Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2008, 15:05   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Karlos that would be Salar Jung's collection (he was a Prime Minister) housed in the museum. I was refering to the collection of jewels which the govt of India bought from the Nizam's trust sometime back for about 217 crores. It has some 176 pieces, one of which is the Jacob diamond the size of a gear knob!!

The Govt of India had displayed this jewelery both in Delhi and Hyderabad for a limited period a few years back. It remains locked in the Reserve Bank as far as I know.
Well the collection was on display at the Salar Jung museum last year (or was it two years ago). Included was the Jacob diamond. I distinctly remember a plate under it valuing it at around 400 crores according to a 1987 valuation. They didn't let me take my camera in.
Old 29th September 2008, 19:28   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
The Left image is from Travencore post #14 in the Miscellaneous cars in India thread. It looks like they may be the same vehicle.
Attachment 53836
Thanks Julian, knew I had posted it, just didn't know where!
DKG, great job! Do post sone dteail pictures of the Silver Ghost's domed filigiree roof if possible. Cheers
Old 29th September 2008, 21:22   #33
Senior - BHPian

Till now i had only heard of the Nizam's penchant for the unique and out of ordinary. He was without doubt a man of impeccable taste and class. One can literally see the clear reflection of royalty in the collection.

To even be near such a historical and unique collection is in my opinion a pilgrimage.
The Nizam's fascination with jewels and antiques is common knowledge but the cars I have learnt about for the first time.

What a collection. I am at a loss of words and can only envy you Deepak, you lucky dog, you

Please keep us updated on whatever information you can share.

Wow!!
Old 29th September 2008, 22:02   #34
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Do post sone dteail pictures of the Silver Ghost's domed filigiree roof if possible. Cheers
Its not filigiree Prem. Its an aluminium domed roof capped by a silver "Dastaar" or crown. The roof's trailing edge on the back and sides has an ornate rail in silver. The upholstery was silk and gold brocade and the roof was finished in a satin like material

Here's a picture

The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages-mvc028f_4.jpg

Here you can see the rail.

The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages-img_1120.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
can only envy you
I'm making arrangements for Singh is Kinng to view the collection soon

Last edited by DKG : 29th September 2008 at 22:07.
DKG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2008, 22:30   #35
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Along with the cars I also shifted three motorcycles

An Indian with a side car

The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages-img_1181.jpg

a Harley and a paratrooper's mini motorcycle

The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages-img_1185.jpg

I wish the bulldozer gets shifted too as it represent's the Prince's deepest passion for giant earthmoving machinery. Beside the garages that housed all the cars is a workshop which I could tell was meticulously setup. Here during his visits to Hyderabad Prince Mukkaramjah would spend hours tinkering with machines. As I can relate to such interests myself I was quite moved to realise that for a man who could afford practically anything on the planet in terms of luxury he seemed to be the happiest with these giant machines and tinkering with them.

A childhood friend whose father was the PA to the Nizam used to tell me that Prince Mukkaramjah seemed most at ease in his dungarees in the garages tinkering about.

There were tales of his immense strength that once when one of his Jeeps had a puncture and no help or jack was in sight he apparently lifted the Jeep to enable a tyre to be replaced! Hearing such tales I took special note of his firm handshake and broad wrist when I met him and shook hands. I don't doubt the story at all.
DKG is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2008, 22:50   #36
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Here are a few pictures of the giant Michigan bulldozer (reputedly the world's largest at the time) which Prince Mukkaramjah enjoyed using as he carved out the walkways in Chiraan Palace's 300 acre grounds, now a national park in the heart of Banjara Hills. Little did he realise that someday thousands of walkers would enjoy these walkways as peacocks rent the air with their hauntingly beautiful calls early evening or morning

The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages-mvc096f_3.jpg

Name:  MVC098F_2.jpg
Views: 13280
Size:  48.4 KB

The Nizam of Hyderabad's Collection of Cars and Carriages-mvc097f_2.jpg

It would be fun to fire this monster up again!!

Many many years back, I am told, the Prince also maintained an elephant in the Chiraan Palace's grounds.

Last edited by DKG : 29th September 2008 at 22:54.
Old 30th September 2008, 10:23   #37
DKG
Senior - BHPian

The Nizam's family has owned some exquisite automobiles. Following the tradition of their grandfather Mir Mahbub Ali Khan and their father Mir Osman Ali Khan, Prince Azamjah and Prince Mauzamjah, father and uncle of the present Nizam, ordered some of the most glamourous automobiles ever produced. Here are some pictures of machines that once graced the roads of Hyderabad and are no longer here

Thanks to the efforts of Travancore and Julian we have details of the pair of the legendary Duesenbergs that came to Hyderabad

According to the registry, the first car ordered by Prince Azamjah was :

Engine Number : J 202
Coachbuilder : Murphy
Body Style : Convertible Sedan
Number Produced of this style : 11/46

Notes:

RHD, displayed at London Motor Show, then originally owned by the Azam Jah of India (J-499 was another of his), scrapped but the engine sold to Englishman who stored it in Calcutta garage where it was kept after purhcase by Ray Wolff since its exportation was forbidden by Indian law. Then purloined (the garage owner disappeared too), it turned up in Bombay where it was blatantly offered by a dealer who smuggled it out via Dubai and sold it to an American collector. In NL 1988 No. 3 Wollf also mentions that the engine has been renumbered incorrectly.

The second more flamboyant car ordered was:

Engine Number : J 499
Chassis Number : 2516
Model Year/Variant :1935 Model J - LWB
Coachbuilder : Fernandez and Darrin
Body Style : Convertible Victoria
Number Produced of this style : 2/3

Notes :

Twin to Garbo car except for larger trunk. Originally sold to W.D. Campbell, chassis later converted to RHD and car shipped to India for use by the Prince Sahibzade Nawab Azam Jah. Exported, while still legal, to the U.S.A. and in 1986 owned by John Fischer of St. Louis. Rick Carroll auction by Sotheby's, 1990, sold for $900,000. Seen at Imperial Palace by Rocky Voss, 1994. Dr. Joseph Murphy Collection, c. 1995. Current location unknown.

Here Prince Mauzamjah (Prince Azamjah's younger brother) is seen with his wife the beautiful Princess Niloufer

Last edited by DKG : 30th September 2008 at 10:33.
Old 30th September 2008, 10:44   #38
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to the remarkable efforts of Steve Stuckey we have a record of another amazing car that came to the Nizam's family. The following is a copy of the post # 641 made by Steve in the "Rolls Royces in India" thread at TBHP :

This car was one of the most spectacular Phantom IIIs. It was sent off test on 7 July 1937, fitted with engine C68A and E type steering. The chassis was sent to coachbuilders Windovers Ltd. on 13 July, and they built a cabriolet body to design 5097 (body number 6483).

The car was finished in mustard yellow, with the rear wings, dual spare wheel covers, full rear spats and a broad side swage line in maroon. The hood (top) was in dark red material, stored in a dark red mohair envelope at the rear of the car. Crests and monograms in gold were painted on the front doors. The four external door handles were recesssed. A Lalique glass mascot could be illuminated either red or blue. The wheel discs were chrome-plated. The two-piece windscreen was made to fold flat onto the scuttle. From the front could be see the special bullet headlamps, spotlamps fitted to each side of the scuttle, parking lights flared into each of the special wheel covers, large floodlights flared into the front wings, and a centre-mounted spotlamp. Special reversing lamps were also fitted. Two four-note trumpet horns and two American police sirens completed the front hardware of the car, just in case you didn’t notice it coming!

Inside the interior was fitted in gold-coloured leather, piped in dark red. There was red leather flooring to the front compartment and red carpet to the rear. The dashboard was finished in dark red Cellastoid in milk finish (I am not sure what this in, but I assume a type of metal finish). The steering wheel rim was in ivory. All the side windows of the car were of red-tinted Triplex glass. There was a division behind the adjustable front seat, but not glass between it and the top of the car. The door handles and window winders were made to fold flush into the door linings. In the division there was a cocktail cabinet with a soda bottle and three large cut-glass tumblers. There were Thermos flasks to each elbow of the rear seat, and to the offside there was a detachable spittoon made to look like a speaking tube (!!). Revolver holsters were fitted to each side of the dash! There was a radio in the dash as well, with controls in both front and rear compartments. In the boot was provision for a portable radiogram.

On 28 February 1938, a full seven and a half months after the chassis was delivered, this well-equipped car was finished. On 2 April it was shipped to Bombay aboard the ss “Burdwan”. The car had been ordered from Windovers by His Highness Walashan Himayat Ali Khan Azam Jah Berar, Crown Prince of Hyderabad (21 February 1907 – 9 October 1970). He was the son of the 7th Maharaja but he never took the throne; his son succeeded his grandfather as 8th Maharaja in 1967. Prince Berar also owned 20/25HP GTK19, a Windovers drophead coupé, and Bentley 4.25 litre B104MR, a Park Ward allweather. His chauffeur of seven years, Krishnawaly, completed the RR School of Instruction course on 24 July 1937, where he would have learned how to look after the Phantom III. After the War Prince Berar was to own Bentley Mark VIs B197AJ (a standard saloon) and B6LJ, a Park Ward drophead coupé.

Not surprisingly this spectacular-looking car was shown in the motoring press: in The Autocar of 4 March 1938 and a full page in The Motor of 19 April 1938. It was also in the Rolls-Royce Bulletin of March 1939, in the snow in Switzerland.

In 1948 the car went back to Europe and in February 1950 was given English registration KYX56; in 1953 it was owned by a Captain J Radcliffe. In 1952 it was with coachbuilders Hooper, where it was repainted black and the floodlights in the front wings were removed (new wings were fitted). At this time also the car was reupholstered in black leather.

In late 1956 the car was back again at Hooper, who removed the spare wheels and prepared to car to be the State Car of Portugal (it is rumoured to be ready for a State Visit by Queen Elizabeth). It remained the State Car until replaced by Phantom V 5LAT84 in 1960, but was still used occasionally until the 1980s to transport Heads of State visiting Portugal. It was owned by Jorge Sampaio, who donated it to the Caramulo Museum run by Dr Joao de Lacerda. It is still there, having had a full restoration in 1999.

These photos show the car as it was when new and then at Hooper on 26 November 1956.
Attached Thumbnails

Steve thanks once again for this remarkable post on a most historic car from Hyderabad
DKG is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th September 2008, 10:59   #39
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Some more pictures of the magnificent 3CP116, a 1937 RR PIII All Weather Cabriolet by Windovers as delivered to Prince Azamjah

Later picture of the same car. Notice it lost the side mounts, the spot lamps and has different bumpers. Also lost those horns and the Lalique mascot. Boy they most certainly had jazzed up the car for the Prince!

Some pictures courtesy Travancore in post # 140 in "Rolls Royces in India" thread at TBHP

Here are a couple of pictures of the Berar Phantom III (3CP116) at the Caramulo Museum. Like DKG pointed out, the Lalilque hood ornament, triple bar bumpers, side mounts, unique running lamps on fenders, double 4 note horns are all gone. The headlamps remain!

The car has been used by the Pope and QEII on their visits to Portugal

picture courtesy of barchetta.cc

picture courtesy: arquivo.forum.autohoje.com

Some more from Steve from post # 781 in the RR thread

Here are some more photos of this amazing car, three taken on the same day, when it was about to be delivered, and the last when it had taken the Prince for some skiing in Switzerland!

Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails

Wow this one is a stunning photograph of this glamourous machine, courtesy Steve post # 786 of the RR thread

Still didn't want to work, did it. I'll try again!
Attached Thumbnails

a rear shot, courtesy Steve post # 797 RR thread

Old 30th September 2008, 11:11   #40
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Another drop dead gorgeous Bentley once owned by the younger Prince Mauzamjah

A few years back when I met a gentleman named Mr. Momen and complimented him on a stunning pair of RR 25/30's with him he remarked "wait till you see the Bentley I have when you visit Calcutta"

I still need to visit Calcutta! but here courtesy Asad is the picture of that awesome Bentley

Thank you Asad for treating us to this gorgeous picture

Julian has clarified this Bentley was once owned by Prince Mauzamjah

I quote Julian:

In “Bentley, The Silent Sports car” it says this:
“A most unusual Park Ward all weather body, built for Prince Moazzam Jah. Described by Park Ward as a ‘boat design with concealed head’, it was finished in light blue with polished aluminium wings and a white hood. The side window to the rear door (of the same outline as the front) commenced several inches back from the leading edge of the door, which meant the hood had to descend to the waist moulding between the front and rear windows, giving the car a most unconventional appearance with the hood raised”

The Bentley records state this under body type:
“Specially converted 4 seater” Body number B296
It was built by Park Ward like this. The only one of its kind.

This is Derby Bentley Chassis #B104 MR Eng. no.T3BU 1939 3 1/2 Park Ward All Weather (special converted 4 seater) Body no. B296 1st owner H H Moazzam Jah of Hyderabad

A very nice car indeed, originally finished in light blue with polished aluminium mudguards. I would like to see it with the hood up as the rear door windows are the same outline as the front ones.
Here is a Park Ward photograph along with a rally photo already in this thread.

Old 30th September 2008, 11:19   #41
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Hold your breath guys, I am told this awesome machine once graced the roads of Hyderabad courtesy Prince Azamjah (atleast the note refers to the Prince but the dates don't make sense). But I have heard from another source that Azamjah did have a Delahaye.

I quote Julian:

This thread needs some eye candy:

A Mr. Jourde from India asked his friend Joseph Figoni to build this car in the style exhibited at the Paris Auto Show. It was then shipped to Bombay where it remained until 1986. During its time in India, the car's headlights were removed from the wings and placed on each side of the grille. After decades of neglect, the car was eventually sent to England for restoration and then was exhibited at Concours in Europe and America, winning many awards. Powered by a 3.2-liter straight six engine, the low-slung Delahaye 135 chassis is famous for the many gorgeous bodies built upon it.
It was later purchased by Prince de Berae Mukarran

From conceptcarz.com

Last edited by DKG : 30th September 2008 at 11:21.
Old 30th September 2008, 11:44   #42
DKG
Senior - BHPian

A note at the conceptcarz website states:

This body style was known as the 'Paris Salon Cabriolet' because it debuted at the famous venue in 1936. Mr. Jourde, a noted French businessman, explorer and friend of Joseph Figoni, ordered the car. Prior to World War II, it was shipped to Mr. Jourde's estate in India where it made an impression on the local royalty. It was later purchased by Prince de Berae Mukarran Jah. The classic styling of this car is considered a benchmark in prewar coachbuilding.

The Prince of Berar was Prince Azamjah, father of the present Nizam Mukkaramjah
Old 30th September 2008, 11:49   #43
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Another legendary machine in Hyderabad

A lovely picture of Prince Azamjah with his wife Princess Durreshevar and the infant Prince Mukkaramjah, the present Nizam of Hyderabad in a stunning Mercedes SS

Old 30th September 2008, 13:28   #44
HPP
BHPian

WoW! Great thread. I've seen some very nice cars at some of the different Nizam palaces around Hyd. Any idea what has happened to any of those? If I remember correctly there were some Model T's and Model A fords, along with many other high end cars of that day.

Also, how are you(or Steve) able to figure out what cars(RR's) came to HYD? If there are records somewhere, I'd love to know what models my mothers family once owned.
HPP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2008, 14:16   #45
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPP View Post
I've seen some very nice cars at some of the different Nizam palaces around Hyd. Any idea what has happened to any of those? If I remember correctly there were some Model T's and Model A fords, along with many other high end cars of that day.
If you recall seeing cars other than those posted here do please share details of the cars and which palaces you saw them in and how long ago was that. That would help

Last edited by DKG : 30th September 2008 at 14:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks