Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2009, 19:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

1947 Jaguar 1.5 Ex Kurundwad Jr.

Hi.

Some years ago I purchased a 1947 Jaguar 1.5 litre Sedan form a gentleman in Hyderabad. It had regestration nuber starting with BY indicating a Maharastra regestration.

On removing thr rear licence plate I found painted on the bodywork Kurundwad Jr 5. The background was red and the lettering in off white.

Now does anyone have any knowledge of this car and its history ?

It was in storage for a long time with these massive Lucas P 80 headlams. The unusual part was that the lences were yellow in colour.

It had started life in black colour and was green when i aquired it.

Would like to hear from anyone who has info on this particular car or is interested in it.

Regards

Wasif
Old 20th January 2009, 12:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Hi.

Some years ago I purchased a 1947 Jaguar 1.5 litre Sedan form a gentleman in Hyderabad. It had regestration nuber starting with BY indicating a Maharastra regestration.

On removing thr rear licence plate I found painted on the bodywork Kurundwad Jr 5. The background was red and the lettering in off white.

It was in storage for a long time with these massive Lucas P 80 headlams. The unusual part was that the lences were yellow in colour.

Would like to hear from anyone who has info on this particular car or is interested in it.

Regards

Wasif
Hi Please post pictures. There was such a Jag in Nagpur, perhaps it is the same.
Suggest that you take clear pictures of this painted on numberplate. When restoring the car, try not to scrape down that area when painting. This is very important to preserve the authenticity/history of the car. But, pictures please. Good Luck!
Old 21st January 2009, 11:52   #3
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

It would be useful if you could post the pics of the cars. AFAIK, only the royal cars had a red number plate with white lettering. The car could have belonged to the Maharajah of Kurundwad (if there was one) and re-registered when it was sold in Mumbai.
Old 21st January 2009, 12:15   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
g. The car could have belonged to the Maharajah of Kurundwad (if there was one) and re-registered when it was sold in Mumbai.
There indeed seems to have been a Maharaja of Kurunwad. A google search revealed this and I am quoting from the site.

"The year Mrs. Gandhi pushed her constitutional amendments through Parliament, two maharajas, the Nawab of Maler Kotla in the Punjab and the Maharaja of Kurundwad in Maharashtra, filed suit against her seeking to overturn the new provisions. For two decades the case meandered through India's courts, known for their lethargy, until it finally settled onto the calendar of the Supreme Court. In that time, the Nawab has died and the Kurundwad Maharaja turned 88."

The link to the site: Jaipur Journal; Maharajahs Ask Benefits, Saying They're Entitled - New York Times

Links to other sites:

KURUNDWAD-Jnr

KURUNDWAD-Snr

Hope these help

Last edited by suren181 : 21st January 2009 at 12:20.
Old 21st January 2009, 13:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Correct me if I am wrong but when I bought this car and tried to find out about its history I discovered that the State of Kurundwad, located in present day Maharastra close to Mumbai was broken up into two seperate states, Jr & Sr.

In the late 19 60 ' s this car was along with quite a few antiquities was handed over to a Hyderabad based moneylender in liew of moneys owed.

This guy kept the car on stands in his basement for close to twenty years. In order to save on the road tax he surrendered the regestration papers to the RTO in Hyderabad declaring that it was not in use.

The car was complete in all respects but due to poor storage needed a complete body / Interior restoration.

I mamaged to start it and drove it on a couple of occasions. It is a 4 cylinder 1770 cc Standard engine with a Jaguar OHV conversion with one SU carb. There is a magnificent tool shelf with felt lined compartments for individual tools built into the trunk lid.

I want find out about its history so that a file could be created documenting this.

The funny part is that it is a low mileage car with close to 12,000 miles showing on the clock and the original speedo cable still attached but it has gone through atleast four colour changes. Original was black then there are traces of maroon followed by silver and the last being pale green.

The dash which should have been a flat wooden panel with twin open glove boxes at both ends was had been re done in the steeped style of the later Mark 7 's. The gauges are all present but the switchgear is missing.

Request anyone who can shed more light on this car to do so. The car is in Hyderabad but most of the pictures i have are over in the states and i will upload some shortly.
Old 21st January 2009, 13:14   #6
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Request anyone who can shed more light on this car to do so. The car is in Hyderabad but most of the pictures i have are over in the states and i will upload some shortly.
Many years ago I had seen a green 1.5 litre Jag inside a house which belonged to a Marwari money lender in the old city. I reckon its the same car. I don't remember the exact location of the house but can guide you to the right area where I had seen it last.

Last edited by DKG : 21st January 2009 at 13:16.
Old 21st January 2009, 13:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

It must be the same car. It was by the Princess Esra Hospital in this guys basement with some othe cars.

What did you make of the car then?
Old 21st January 2009, 16:22   #8
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It must be the same car. It was by the Princess Esra Hospital in this guys basement with some othe cars.

What did you make of the car then?
Appeared in a condition as described by you. Should look lovely once you restore it.
Old 31st January 2009, 23:22   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

the Nagpur Jaguar (repainted in 2007) is also a 1.5L and is still very much with its present owner. Its first owner was Justice M. Hidaytullah.
1947 Jaguar 1.5 Ex Kurundwad Jr.-jaguar1.jpg

1947 Jaguar 1.5 Ex Kurundwad Jr.-jaguar-2.jpg
Old 29th March 2009, 17:28   #10

Hello!

Very interesting indeed!

As you will observe from my login id, I have a 'Kurundwad' connection. If your Jag bears the No. "Kurundwad Jr. No.5", the car probably belonged to one of my two uncles from the Junior branch of the erstwhile Kurundwad State (I belong to the Senior branch). Is it possible for you to let me take a look at a picture of the vehicle? You could either post it on this website with intimation to me (I do not visit the site too often), or you could email it to me at kurundwad@eth.net

I would certainly like to find out more on the car and possibly give you some data about it after inquiries with my cousins.

Thank you

Quote:
Hi.

Regards

Wasif
Old 29th March 2009, 19:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hi There Kurundwad.

Hve just emailed you with some details.

Regards

Wasif
Old 30th March 2009, 19:10   #12
Senior - BHPian

There is a huge missing part in this thread, pictures of the car!
Can you oblige.
Old 31st March 2009, 11:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

Harith.

Pictures of the car are in storage in Hyderabad as is the car itself.

I will be visiting Hyderabad this August and will scan the pictures and post.

I realised after buying the car and doing research on its original condition that the restoration was beyond my capacity to perform so I left the car with a friend.

When I visit India I plan on either disposing it or sending it to an established restorer for restoration and eventual sale as I don't plan to move back to India and I cant have the car exported to California where I have my perminent residence.
Old 25th September 2010, 02:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Harith.

Pictures of the car are in storage in Hyderabad as is the car itself.

I will be visiting Hyderabad this August and will scan the pictures and post.

I realised after buying the car and doing research on its original condition that the restoration was beyond my capacity to perform so I left the car with a friend.

When I visit India I plan on either disposing it or sending it to an established restorer for restoration and eventual sale as I don't plan to move back to India and I cant have the car exported to California where I have my perminent residence.
More than a year and Half is over after this post of yours. Where are the pics of the car ? I am waiting to see this car for a long time. Kindly ask your friend if possible to take pics and send them to you.
Old 25th September 2010, 15:12   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hi Indrojit.

I was not able to get any new pictures of it as I didn't go to Hyderabad still. The guy who is keeping it for me is currently in Iran and wil get him to send me current pics soon.

I have a few pics that I am posting here of the car more or less as I had left it in 1999.

I also got some pics of the car from the current head of the Kurundwad Junior Family that I am also posting here.

I do inted to sell this car once I am able to get to know when my friend will be in Hyderabad next so that whoever buys it can actually collect it

In the first picture you can see small holes just above teh windscreen opening in teh roof where I later found out there was a light attached as can be seen from the pictures of teh car sent to me by the Royal Family
Attached Thumbnails
1947 Jaguar 1.5 Ex Kurundwad Jr.-jaguar.jpg  

1947 Jaguar 1.5 Ex Kurundwad Jr.-jaguar-4.jpg  

1947 Jaguar 1.5 Ex Kurundwad Jr.-jaguar-2.jpg  

1947 Jaguar 1.5 Ex Kurundwad Jr.-jaguar-3.jpg  

1947 Jaguar 1.5 Ex Kurundwad Jr.-kurundwad20jaguar.jpg  

1947 Jaguar 1.5 Ex Kurundwad Jr.-kurundwad20jaguar202.jpg  

Last edited by wasif : 25th September 2010 at 15:15.
wasif is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks