Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2010, 21:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Hi Indrojit.

I was not able to get any new pictures of it as I didn't go to Hyderabad still. The guy who is keeping it for me is currently in Iran and wil get him to send me current pics soon.

I have a few pics that I am posting here of the car more or less as I had left it in 1999.

I also got some pics of the car from the current head of the Kurundwad Junior Family that I am also posting here.

I do inted to sell this car once I am able to get to know when my friend will be in Hyderabad next so that whoever buys it can actually collect it

In the first picture you can see small holes just above teh windscreen opening in teh roof where I later found out there was a light attached as can be seen from the pictures of teh car sent to me by the Royal Family

Hi Wasif,

Thankx for the pics of the car. The car seems to be needing quite abit of work. Do you have all the parts kept away ? What was the condition of the engine last when you had started the car up ?

Regards

Indrojit Sircar
Old 25th September 2010, 21:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

Wasif,
Whoever buys this car is buying history. Hope to see it restored to its former glory.
Regards,
Old 26th September 2010, 10:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

All parts for this Jag was on it and are in storage. It was missing just a few of the small gauges and switches on the dash.

I drove the car for a few days before I started work on it. Engine was fine as it has hardly any mileage on the clock. It had a new set of tires on it but was missin the spare and the tools fromt eh toolkit in the bootlid.

It has a set of Yellow "Corning" headlamp glass that is in perfect condition.

Last edited by wasif : 26th September 2010 at 10:56.
Old 15th October 2010, 10:19   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
the Nagpur Jaguar (repainted in 2007) is also a 1.5L and is still very much with its present owner. Its first owner was Justice M. Hidaytullah.
Attachment 95909

Attachment 95910

Sir: there's a poignant story that touches our family, and I'm thrilled to hear the name and see the pic of the Jag. My maternal Grandfather (then Dy Accountant General) was a tenant in Justice Hidaytullah's 'Double Bungalow' in Byramji Town, and my Mom and her sisters grew up there and were close friends with the gentleman's nephew and wife who were neighbours. There was a colourful story of the Justice's romance/marriage, but perhaps it shouldn't be shared here (just because it's probably still a private matter to his descendants). There's so much history there, I long to go back even though most names have gone on to happy hunting grounds ...the memories linger!
Old 21st October 2010, 15:34   #20
BANNED

I would be keen to know more about what happened to this car, eventually!!Loosk like a beauty. Congrats on your acquisition. By the way, you can get the car done up and then exported to USA, if you so desire, as long as documentation is in order.
Old 22nd October 2010, 20:30   #21
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by malq View Post
By the way, you can get the car done up and then exported to USA, if you so desire, as long as documentation is in order.
Malq, this is very touchy point with all us vintage lovers in India. We do not want to loose any more cars from India. I am sure even Wasif will appreciate the vintage fraternity desire to retain all the vintage and classic cars in India.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2010, 23:36   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would be keen to know more about what happened to this car, eventually!!Loosk like a beauty. Congrats on your acquisition. By the way, you can get the car done up and then exported to USA, if you so desire, as long as documentation is in order.
CAn you state what is the procedure for exporting a car ?
Old 23rd October 2010, 00:02   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would be keen to know more about what happened to this car, eventually!!Looks like a beauty. Congrats on your acquisition. By the way, you can get the car done up and then exported to USA, if you so desire, as long as documentation is in order.
Sorry, that is wrong information. There are 100's of vintage cars in India with documents in order, and they cannot go out legally. Further, prices in India are now higher for many cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Malq, this is very touchy point with all us vintage lovers in India. We do not want to loose any more cars from India. I am sure even Wasif will appreciate the vintage fraternity desire to retain all the vintage and classic cars in India. Cheers KPS
Touchy point maybe, but once a car is sold at right price, and enthusiasts in India are allowed to compete, there is no problem. The problem is that owners did not give an opportunity to local enthusiasts to bid for a car. The Nabha Swan car is an example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
CAn you state what is the procedure for exporting a {VINTAGE CLASSIC} car ?
He cannot!

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 23rd October 2010 at 00:13.
Old 23rd October 2010, 00:10   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post

He cannot!

Cheers harit
Arey that is known fact. But maybe he has found a loop hole in the legal system. Why not give him a chance to say .
Old 24th October 2010, 11:55   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Malq, this is very touchy point with all us vintage lovers in India. We do not want to loose any more cars from India. I am sure even Wasif will appreciate the vintage fraternity desire to retain all the vintage and classic cars in India.

Cheers

KPS

I would NEVER even dream of having this car or any car for that matter from India to EVER leave the country.

We have lost a good bit already and what remains is too precious to even think about loosing
wasif is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2010, 12:12   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
I would NEVER even dream of having this car or any car for that matter from India to EVER leave the country.

We have lost a good bit already and what remains is too precious to even think about loosing
Those are very noble sentiments. Now you owe it to the car to sell it to somebody who can restore it to its previous glory.

It is painful to see in its present condition.
Old 24th October 2010, 17:11   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
Those are very noble sentiments. Now you owe it to the car to sell it to somebody who can restore it to its previous glory.

It is painful to see in its present condition.
I plan on doing just as you mentioned but since both me and my friend in whose how it is stored live in different places it has become a problem to get this sorted soon.

I would really love to see this car in suitable hands and on the road to being restored
Old 30th October 2010, 22:15   #28
BHPian

Jaguar 1 1/2 Litrecar

Quote:
By the way, you can get the car done up and then exported to USA, if you so desire, as long as documentation is in order.
Hello malq,

I think you got it wrong , Government of India regulations do not permit export or import of vintage vehicles.

Wasif ,

Please recommence the restoration , this car is :
- easy to restore
- easy to maintain
- easy to drive

Infact it could be maintained as a daily driver , if you had somebody to guard the fittings when you parked it.

By the way , my car has a block marked SS and this car has a Jaguar block ??? Any explanations Harit and other experts.

Regards
Chauhan
Old 31st October 2010, 11:24   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageman View Post
Hello malq,

I think you got it wrong , Government of India regulations do not permit export or import of vintage vehicles.

Wasif ,

Please recommence the restoration , this car is :
- easy to restore
- easy to maintain
- easy to drive

Infact it could be maintained as a daily driver , if you had somebody to guard the fittings when you parked it.

By the way , my car has a block marked SS and this car has a Jaguar block ??? Any explanations Harit and other experts.

Regards
Chauhan
Willlove to get the restoration going again but as I am not currently resident in India this is not possible.

Your car must be a pre 47 car as the dropped the "SS" part of the name around this time. Soem old block with the SS stamped on them would have found their wasy into post 47 cars too.

What does your radiator badge read "SS Jaguar" or just "Jaguar"

The only issue with restoring this car is the cost of redoing the interior in leather and carpets as close to the original as posible. All that leather will surely cost a bomb.
Old 1st November 2010, 19:18   #30
BHPian

Wasif ,

My car is a 1 1/2 Litre Jaguar ( not SS ) and the radiator badge states this .

Best of Luck for your restoration.

Regards
Chauhan

Most Viewed