Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2009, 15:22   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hi wasif,

Your last para is not very clear. Do you mean to say that V. Mallya had a authentic Vintage Fiat with mother-in law seat?
In that case, yes he had such a car but it was sold a couple of times and finally ended up in Calcutta, where she got transformed. It was the same grey coloured car.
Apart from that he had a Swift or a Standard or something similar witha name starting with S that had a "mom in law" seat out back, basically a rumble seat design. Had pictures of it in a auto mag way back which featured the Mallys collection including the Pierce, the Fiat racer, the Aston Martin and other interesting cars
Old 20th July 2009, 16:52   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Apart from that he had a Swift or a Standard or something similar witha name starting with S that had a "mom in law" seat out back, basically a rumble seat design. Had pictures of it in a auto mag way back which featured the Mallys collection including the Pierce, the Fiat racer, the Aston Martin and other interesting cars
His Swift was featured in BSMotoring some years back. Second picture on this page http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ollection.html

Not visible whether rumble seat or not.
Old 20th July 2009, 17:10   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi wasif,

Your last para is not very clear. Do you mean to say that V. Mallya had a authentic Vintage Fiat with mother-in law seat?
In that case, yes he had such a car but it was sold a couple of times and finally ended up in Calcutta, where she got transformed. It was the same grey coloured car.
He has a Ballila tourer its being restored at the Herbertson facility.
Old 20th July 2009, 17:48   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
His Swift was featured in BSMotoring some years back. Second picture on this page http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ollection.html

Not visible whether rumble seat or not.
Karl the Swift is pictured from the front and this is why you can't see the rear and the famous " Mom in Law" seat but trust me it is there. This is the car I was speaking of incorrectly posted as a "1961" Swift on Mallya collection thread.
Old 20th July 2009, 17:52   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Karl the Swift is pictured from the front and this is why you can't see the rear and the famous " Mom in Law" seat but trust me it is there.
Never doubted you, just stated that it isn't visible

The car must be unique in India. Do any others of the marque survive here?
Old 20th July 2009, 19:14   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Never doubted you, just stated that it isn't visible

The car must be unique in India. Do any others of the marque survive here?
I don't think so. This must be the only surviving Swift in India. These cars are actually very rare today in other parts of the world too as the company only existed up to 1930.

Last edited by wasif : 20th July 2009 at 19:15.
Old 21st July 2009, 00:04   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think so. This must be the only surviving Swift in India. These cars are actually very rare today in other parts of the world too as the company only existed up to 1930.
This till date is the only known Swift in India. I was told that it was found on an estate in Kerala. Have to check if it was a coupe or a dicky seater, this car is rarely seen.
Old 23rd July 2009, 12:40   #38
Senior - BHPian

This is a very old pic of a Fiat 509 entered in a rally which was held in the beginning of 1980's. At that time there was no VCCCI, vintage activities were under IARC.The car still survives, at that time restoration was underway.
Attached Thumbnails
A 1934 Fiat & other Pre-1950 Fiats-fiat-509.jpg  

Old 23rd July 2009, 12:47   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is a very old pic of a Fiat 509 entered in a rally which was held in the beginning of 1980's. At that time there was no VCCCI, vintage activities were under IARC.The car still survives, at that time restoration was underway.
What catches my eye more is the graphic cigarette advertisement. Before my time, so shocks me to see when so blatantly advertised.
Old 23rd July 2009, 18:52   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What catches my eye more is the graphic cigarette advertisement. Before my time, so shocks me to see when so blatantly advertised.
Why should this surprise you? Do you not remember the Marlboro man, splashed across everything from bus stops to racing cars to hoardings? And then came legislation.
BTW, VCCCI events in 2007 & 2008 were sponsored by Haig. What do they sell?
In 2007 they gave us samples and a party at radio club, in 2009 they did not give any samples but home cooked food on the terrace. Inspite of being sponsored, they wanted entrance fees! What a come down!

Last edited by harit : 23rd July 2009 at 19:04.
Old 23rd July 2009, 19:16   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why should this surprise you? Do you not remember the Marlboro man, splashed across everything from bus stops to racing cars to hoardings? And then came legislation.
BTW, VCCCI events in 2007 & 2008 were sponsored by Haig. What do they sell?
In 2007 they gave us samples and a party at radio club, in 2009 they did not give any samples but home cooked food on the terrace. Inspite of being sponsored, they wanted entrance fees! What a come down!
In the same vein was the VST sponsored "Charminar Challenge" rally series. Now history though.

BTW what kind of samples did they give you in 07
Old 23rd July 2009, 19:23   #42
BHPian

Quote:
BTW what kind of samples did they give you in 07
Eau de vie, from Nessie's swimming pool!
Old 23rd July 2009, 19:30   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Eau de vie, from Nessie's swimming pool!
Just samples of corn water. Useful as a disinfectant

Cheers harit
Old 24th July 2009, 10:46   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What I am not used to seeing is the graphic display of a pack with the cigarettes sticking out, clearly visible. Like I said, this is before my time.
Old 24th July 2009, 11:38   #45
Senior - BHPian

This is a picture of a Fiat Landaulet, with me driving in an event in Bangalore. This car is among the grand Fiat's in India, the grandest one being in Bombay under restoration.
She was earlier from Gujrat. But there were a few such cars in Bombay, I have a couple of nostalgic photos of similar Fiats.

This car belongs to Doc, and his club had orgnised an event where mentally challenged children were treated to rides.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
A 1934 Fiat & other Pre-1950 Fiats-fiat-landaulet-1.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks