Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2011, 03:57   #46
BHPian

Adler more pictures

Adler, Wanderer, DKW have lot of similarities, but my favourite was Horch 853A, I am curious if any Horch 853A was seen or survive in India now, would love hear if anybody knows about it. After reading about August Horch and Audi foundation and museums in Germany, these are the finest engineered cars of its time. My uncle now passed away told me he used to have DKW in Hyderabad, did not see his car. Another uncle used to have Opel Kadet green miltary colour, he also used to have Moscovich for short time.

Still there lot of cars not seen on forum or in rallies, some of them I know, one friend still have Humber Hawk, Vauxhall, Chevrolet.

Here are more pictures of Adler for Wasif bhai.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Adlers in India-picture-028x.jpg  

Adlers in India-picture-020.jpg  

Adlers in India-picture-021.jpg  

Adlers in India-picture-024.jpg  

Adlers in India-picture-026.jpg  

Old 5th June 2011, 10:15   #47
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nostalgic pictures of our family's cars

Thanks for sharing the Adler pictures, pity its in such a deplorable condition now.

That car had soem very interesting technology for a early thirties car, front wheel drive, independant suspension and a host of others.

It even had a steering mounted lock cum ignition switch.

The Asman Jah Paiga family had a Horch roadster till the early seventies and then it was exported.

I don't think there are any Horch cars in India today.
Old 6th June 2011, 13:10   #48
BHPian

Re: Adler more pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
Adler, Wanderer, DKW have lot of similarities, but my favourite was Horch 853A, I am curious if any Horch 853A was seen or survive in India now, would love hear if anybody knows about it.

Still there lot of cars not seen on forum or in rallies, some of them I know, one friend still have Humber Hawk, Vauxhall, Chevrolet.

Cheers!
A couple of Adlers regularly take part in the Kolkata Statesman Rallies. The link below shows one, on this forum itself.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...0-kolkata.html
Old 6th June 2011, 16:44   #49
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nostalgic pictures of our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
This 1938 Wanderer W 24 also looks a little bit similar to the Adler.
Quote:
Adler, Wanderer, DKW have lot of similarities, but my favourite was Horch 853A, ............. Here are more pictures of Adler for Wasif bhai. Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
A couple of Adlers regularly take part in the Kolkata Statesman Rallies.
Adler was an independant company, no links with Wanderer, DKW etc. Auto Union was formed when DKW, Horsch, Wanderer and Audi merged. NSU joined in later. And then Audi became The Brand and is a part of Volkswagen. But Adler, which we are talking about went to no one, after the war they only made Bikes, Cycles and other items but no cars anymore.
No surviving Horsch is known in India, 6 are supposed to have come in.

Cheers harit

Last edited by karlosdeville : 8th June 2011 at 10:11. Reason: Mosts moved on request.
Old 6th June 2011, 20:58   #50
Senior - BHPian

Re: Adler more pictures

Quote:
Adler, Wanderer, DKW have lot of similarities, but my favourite was Horch 853A, I am curious if any Horch 853A was seen or survive in India now, would love hear if anybody knows about it. After reading about August Horch and Audi foundation and museums in Germany, these are the finest engineered cars of its time. My uncle now passed away told me he used to have DKW in Hyderabad, did not see his car. Another uncle used to have Opel Kadet green miltary colour, he also used to have Moscovich for short time.

Cheers!
Its a masterpeice , kindly attend to the battery cable it appears to touch the exhaust manifold and exhaust pipe, and it looks as if part of insulation of cable is burnt out.
Old 8th June 2011, 12:03   #51
Senior - BHPian

Re: Adlers in India

Since this Adler thread got revived, here are pictures of the Nagpur Adler being sent on its way to Mr. Hegde of Dharmastal. Picture shows the past owner and Mr. Cassad, who shared these pictures.
IMHO, the colour at that time suits the car more than the combination it has today.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Adlers in India-adler-1.jpg  

Adlers in India-adler-2.jpg  

Adlers in India-adler-3.jpg  

harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2011, 13:09   #52
Senior - BHPian

Harit.

Can you please post pictures of your other two Adlers as well. We have seen the sedan and teh cabrio you bought from Hyderabad and would like to see the other two also.
Old 15th January 2014, 23:23   #53
BHPian

Dear Harit Ji,

Greetings from Kolkata. Wish you and all a very happy and prosperous and rev-filled 2014! I've seen your Adler in the posts above, and it's quite a beauty I must say. I am also in the process of restoring a 1939 Adler Trumpf Junior 4-Door with Sun-Roof, aiding and assisting my Senior who inherited the same from his Grandfather.

Since the last 2 years, the car is being restored, as schematics and parts for these beautiful machines, being a rarity, are hard to come by, and, although we have new 5.25 x 16 shoes with tubes for the lovely lady, fitting them shows that the rear tyres have a maximum of 4 inches play distance from the rear fenders.

This issue was narrowed down to the car sitting low, probably due to a modification / change in the rear suspension. We are also missing the secondary coil-spring setup in the rear suspension unit (as seen in the first photo uploaded by you). I have not been able to find any information about the rear suspension setup of the vehicle. We are definitely missing this year's SVCCR, so have another year to work with.

If I may Sir, request you to kindly help me by letting me know your phone number, so that I may bother you with a few questions about the ongoing restoration. Thanking you.
Old 16th January 2014, 14:48   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKDS View Post
Dear Harit Ji,

Greetings from Kolkata. Wish you and all a very happy and prosperous and rev-filled 2014! I've seen your Adler in the posts above, ..... If I may Sir, request you to kindly help me by letting me know your phone number, so that I may bother you with a few questions about the ongoing restoration. Thanking you.
Hi JKDS,

glad to hear that you have an Adler. Can you share some photos?
Regarding my contact, I would not give my number on the forum. Perhaps you can visit the Statesman Rally and catch up with Prithvi Tagore. There is a visitor from Mumbai who has examined by Adler, maybe you can discuss face to face. That should help you for starters.
Since you are a Newbie the PM fascility will not work for you. Keep posting fast to reach the magic figure of 25 posts and get going.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2014, 18:31   #55
BHPian

Harit Ji,

Thank you for the prompt reply! I will be more than glad to upload the photos of the vehicle here, subject to my Senior granting me permission. We have already submitted the form for the Statesman Rally, due this weekend, and I shall try and meet with Mr. Tagore and seek his expertise on the pending issues. I am also trying to source a schematic from a collector in Germany (I wish it does arrive). I shall turn to you whenever I need any guidance, Sir. I hope that won't be a bother for you! :-)
Old 24th February 2014, 12:36   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Since this Adler thread got revived, here are pictures of the Nagpur Adler being sent on its way to Mr. Hegde of Dharmastal. Picture shows the past owner and Mr. Cassad, who shared these pictures.
IMHO, the colour at that time suits the car more than the combination it has today.

Cheers harit
I know the previous owner of the Adler BYJ1791 - Mr. Kalyan Adhikari of Civil Lines in Nagpur. I met him in the year 1970 -71 when I had just Finished my B.sc and was spending all my time at his car workshop "Omen Engineering Works". Mr. Adhikari also owned a fine single owner 1950 Rover 75 bearing the number MPJ 2100 belonging to his late father who was a Judge in the Jabalpur High Court. His neighbor Mr. Mohota had a fabrication unit and owned a Jaguar and a Humber also. I wish I could get in touch with Mr. Kalyan Adhikari. I would love to maintain his Rover for posterity. I am Currently based in Bangalore and would like information about Mr. Adhikari. He taught me a lot of things about cars ! I'm available on +919980077971.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKDS View Post
Dear Harit Ji,

Greetings from Kolkata. Wish you and all a very happy and prosperous and rev-filled 2014! I've seen your Adler in the posts above, and it's quite a beauty I must say. I am also in the process of restoring a 1939 Adler Trumpf Junior 4-Door with Sun-Roof, aiding and assisting my Senior who inherited the same from his Grandfather.

Since the last 2 years, the car is being restored, as schematics and parts for these beautiful machines, being a rarity, are hard to come by, and, although we have new 5.25 x 16 shoes with tubes for the lovely lady, fitting them shows that the rear tyres have a maximum of 4 inches play distance from the rear fenders.

This issue was narrowed down to the car sitting low, probably due to a modification / change in the rear suspension. We are also missing the secondary coil-spring setup in the rear suspension unit (as seen in the first photo uploaded by you). I have not been able to find any information about the rear suspension setup of the vehicle. We are definitely missing this year's SVCCR, so have another year to work with.

If I may Sir, request you to kindly help me by letting me know your phone number, so that I may bother you with a few questions about the ongoing restoration. Thanking you.
The rear suspension set up on an Adler is by torsion tube which generally would break. The solution that Kalyan Adhikari of Omen Engineering at Nagpur , had found was that two semicircular discs made of wood would support the tube and failures stopped thereafter. Incidentally he had quite a few spares of the adler

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post

Cheers harit
When were these photos taken, may I know ?

Last edited by karlosdeville : 24th February 2014 at 14:15. Reason: Consecutive posts

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks