Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2009, 01:07   #1
BHPian

1929- Stutz Speedster- Find Of The Year

The latest aquisition of Mr.Diljeet Titus a 1929 - Stutz Lebaron -Speedster, dual cowl, dual windshield, with a vertical 8 engine, probably will find its way in the most desirable cars. Understand only 92 cars are surviving world over. I shall try and post some photographs shortly.
Old 19th March 2009, 01:36   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B.Jatti View Post
The latest aquisition of Mr.Diljeet Titus a 1929 - Stutz Lebaron -Speedster, dual cowl, dual windshield, with a vertical 8 engine, probably will find its way in the most desirable cars. Understand only 92 cars are surviving world over. I shall try and post some photographs shortly.
My compliments to you sir, for untiringly promoting HMCI, the wonderful collection of Mr. Titus, etc. The focus and commitment are amazing.

Regarding the Stutz though, had heard of Bearcats, Blackhawks and AAs but never knew just a Lebaron - along with dual cowl AND dual windshield - existed though. Have to see this soon. Is she here in Delhi already?

Last edited by Prabal : 19th March 2009 at 01:54. Reason: recalcitrant connectivity; had to log in again!
Old 19th March 2009, 08:01   #3
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The latest aquisition of Mr.Diljeet Titus a 1929 - Stutz Lebaron -Speedster, dual cowl, dual windshield, with a vertical 8 engine
WOW !! Now that is one heck of a machine. The Stutz was known as America's sportscar
Old 19th March 2009, 09:36   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Regarding the Stutz though, had heard of Bearcats, Blackhawks and AAs but never knew just a Lebaron - along with dual cowl AND dual windshield - existed though. Have to see this soon. Is she here in Delhi already?
Wasnt LeBaron a coachbuilder? The car could be any of the models you list with a lebaron body.

Aditya
Old 19th March 2009, 09:43   #5
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TractionAvant View Post
Wasnt LeBaron a coachbuilder? The car could be any of the models you list with a lebaron body.

Aditya
Yes that is correct. The car would be a Stutz (followed by model) Lebaron speedster etc
Old 19th March 2009, 10:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Sir.

The car in question would be a Stutz Le Baron Dual Cowl Phaeteon. It cant be a speedster as a speedster is a two door car with a single windscreen.

In a four door convertible there is a possibility to fit a second windscreen behind the front seat as was common on high end US cars of this period.

It would be interesting to see pictures and learn more about this car as it would probably be the only one of its kind in India.

The Stutz cars were very technologically advanced machines with some as the DV32 eight cylinder, introduced in 1931, featured four valves per cylinder.

Attached pictures are of a 29 Le Baron Speedster (Black) and the 29 Le baron Dual Cowl Phaeteon
Attached Thumbnails
1929- Stutz Speedster- Find Of The Year-1929stutz01016.jpg  

1929- Stutz Speedster- Find Of The Year-1929_stutz_dualcowl_pheaton_by_lebaronjuly12a.jpg  

Old 19th March 2009, 11:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As far as I know there is only one Stutz in India. It was near or in Ahmedabad. Belonged an elderly gent, now his son. I came to know about this car sometime in 1985, but have never seen it. Whenever there was a talk of sale, the price was very very high.
I believe the car was not used for a long time and the front windscreen was replaced with that of a jeep.
I am looking forward to see a photo.
This aquisition is in line of a trend of gathering mainly high end cars in that collection. Congrats!

I think that there is something wrong in the name, speedster was normally a 2 seater with minimal bodywork, and if that is so, dual cowl/windshield will not fit. I do not think that Stutz speedsters were 8 cylinder either. Not 100% sure, would like to see pics.

Last edited by harit : 19th March 2009 at 11:35. Reason: add info
Old 19th March 2009, 20:37   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
As far as I know there is only one Stutz in India. It was near or in Ahmedabad. Belonged an elderly gent, now his son. I came to know about this car sometime in 1985, but have never seen it. Whenever there was a talk of sale, the price was very very high.
I believe the car was not used for a long time and the front windscreen was replaced with that of a jeep.
I am looking forward to see a photo.
This aquisition is in line of a trend of gathering mainly high end cars in that collection. Congrats!

I think that there is something wrong in the name, speedster was normally a 2 seater with minimal bodywork, and if that is so, dual cowl/windshield will not fit. I do not think that Stutz speedsters were 8 cylinder either. Not 100% sure, would like to see pics.
Even I do-not have the full details of the car. Whatever preliminay information I could gather, I have mentioned. Very shortly, I shall post the complete details of the car along with photographs. I also understand that the car has three adjustable brake and suspension options on the dashboard.
Old 25th March 2009, 20:08   #9
BHPian

1929- Stutz Speedster- Find Of The Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
My compliments to you sir, for untiringly promoting HMCI, the wonderful collection of Mr. Titus, etc. The focus and commitment are amazing.

Thank you Sir. The car has been sent to Mr.Manvinder Singh of Barvani, for restoration.

Here are some photographs of 1929 Stutz, Model M, Vertical Eight Engine, 113 HP, 4 Passenger Speedster with Dual Cowls, Coach built by LeBaron on a 134½" Wheelbase. This car has 10,360 miles on the odometer and is a fabulous high speed runner. This fabulous beauty has been found and acquired by Mr.Diljeet Titus. According to me this is the find of the year if not the decade !!
Attached Thumbnails
1929- Stutz Speedster- Find Of The Year-1.jpg  

1929- Stutz Speedster- Find Of The Year-2.jpg  

1929- Stutz Speedster- Find Of The Year-3.jpg  

1929- Stutz Speedster- Find Of The Year-4.jpg  

1929- Stutz Speedster- Find Of The Year-5.jpg  

1929- Stutz Speedster- Find Of The Year-6.jpg  

1929- Stutz Speedster- Find Of The Year-7.jpg  

1929- Stutz Speedster- Find Of The Year-8.jpg  

1929- Stutz Speedster- Find Of The Year-9.jpg  

1929- Stutz Speedster- Find Of The Year-10.jpg  

1929- Stutz Speedster- Find Of The Year-11.jpg  

1929- Stutz Speedster- Find Of The Year-12.jpg  

1929- Stutz Speedster- Find Of The Year-13.jpg  

1929- Stutz Speedster- Find Of The Year-14.jpg  

1929- Stutz Speedster- Find Of The Year-15.jpg  

1929- Stutz Speedster- Find Of The Year-16.jpg  

1929- Stutz Speedster- Find Of The Year-17.jpg  

1929- Stutz Speedster- Find Of The Year-18.jpg  

1929- Stutz Speedster- Find Of The Year-19.jpg  

1929- Stutz Speedster- Find Of The Year-20.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th March 2009 at 18:02.
S.B.Jatti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2009, 20:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

Mr. Jatti.

Hats off to you and Mr. T.

What an aquisition. Surely up there with the Delahaye as one of the top cars in India.

Car looks to be in an amazingly original condition right down to the switchgear on the dash.

Whats is the history of this car. Please do tell.

Car like this if it were to surface in the west would probably be kept as original as possible. That is instead of going in for a full nut an bolt restoration to just get it mechanically restored and to polish up the existing paint etc.

This car has got patina that needs to be maintained and kept as an example for future generations to come.

Like Jay Leno did with the Duesenberg Model X he bought off this guy who had it in his garage for over forty years.
Old 25th March 2009, 20:37   #11
BHPian

A car of this stature and original condition should be kept as found and just cleaned up. Anyone can restore a car to as new condition, BUT how many cars of this age and condition exist in the World.

RM Auctions had a 1915s Rolls Royce in original condition including a leather top that they sold last year, it was absolutely awesome! When I return to Toronto I will scan their catalogue and post photos.

Does anyone have Titus email so we can express our concerns not to restore it?
WHAT A FIND!
Old 25th March 2009, 21:22   #12
BHPian

I spent a few minutes on line and found the 1914 Rolls Royce 40/50 Silver Ghost with lots of photos and an extensive write up.

To check out what is considered the most Original Rolls of this period,
google,- RM Auctions- 2006 - Vintage Cars at Meadow Brook Hall - results - lot#265.

Definitely worth the trip and along the way see some other magnificent cars.
Old 25th March 2009, 21:42   #13
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Some three years ago a car broker told me about this car. I was shocked to hear there was a Stutz in India. He mentioned the car along with a long list of other cars. I casually asked about the details but he was cagey.

Few people knew about this car's existence and perhaps even fewer of its exact whereabouts.

Manvendra Singh has an amazing story to tell about how the car was acquired. Its such a lovely tale, best heard from the man himself

Hearty congrats to the new owner. This is a car that would find place on the lawns of Pebble Beach any day!
Old 25th March 2009, 22:00   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Some three years ago a car broker told me about this car. I was shocked to hear there was a Stutz in India. He mentioned the car along with a long list of other cars. I casually asked about the details but he was cagey.

Few people knew about this car's existence and perhaps even fewer of its exact whereabouts.

Manvendra Singh has an amazing story to tell about how the car was acquired. Its such a lovely tale, best heard from the man himself

Hearty congrats to the new owner. This is a car that would find place on the lawns of Pebble Beach any day!
DKG,
What is the provenance....assuming it was a Maharaja car. Cheers
Old 25th March 2009, 22:17   #15
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
DKG,
What is the provenance....assuming it was a Maharaja car. Cheers
Will let Mr. Jatti do the honours, given the car is so rare and special.

BTW would suggest Diljeet and Manvendra bhai to consider the following colour scheme for the car. What a killer machine, drop dead gorgeous !!

1929- Stutz Speedster- Find Of The Year-st1929lebaronspeedster7601.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks