Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2009, 14:48   #1

Restoration of Rolls Royce 94RF

Hi to all, As requested i am starting a new thread to show in detail the condition of 94RF as we received it, and progress pictures showing various stages of the restoration. As i have said before we at Alpine Eagle were delighted to receive instruction to restore such a wonderful and historically important car.

The pictures posted below start as 94Rf arrived to us, as you can see it is missing a few parts and the interior is in very poor condition, the rear seats were missing completely, front seat squabs were also missing. The wood was damaged and in places also missing. while we were stripping down, we found serveral rat or mice nests within the bodywork panels! After stripping out the interior and all the exterior removable panels we subjected the car to a thorough steam clean. After 94RF had been cleaned we started to repair all the dents and splits in the aluminium bodywork. We were only allowed to clean the engine as it was in good mechanical condition, so we painted the rocker cover and head / block assembly. The parts laid out on the brown paper are the first batch of items to be plated ! We had to find some replacement window winder handles as some were missing. All the window mechanisms were stripped down as some were inoperative, the springs in some were found to be broken (mainly due to either being wound up the wrong way and then over centre and build up of dirt or animal nests!) The same work was also carried out to the mesh fly / chaff screen mechanisms, the mesh screens too were repaired, re- soldered into frames if they had split or become damaged and then plated.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration of Rolls Royce 94RF-28th-july-08-pics-021.jpg  

Restoration of Rolls Royce 94RF-28th-july-08-pics-024.jpg  

Restoration of Rolls Royce 94RF-28th-july-08-pics-027.jpg  

Restoration of Rolls Royce 94RF-28th-july-08-pics-030.jpg  

Restoration of Rolls Royce 94RF-28th-july-08-pics-033.jpg  

Restoration of Rolls Royce 94RF-28th-july-08-pics-053.jpg  

Restoration of Rolls Royce 94RF-28th-july-08-pics-058.jpg  

Restoration of Rolls Royce 94RF-28th-july-08-pics-061.jpg  

Restoration of Rolls Royce 94RF-28th-july-08-pics-060.jpg  

Restoration of Rolls Royce 94RF-28th-july-08-pics-064.jpg  

Restoration of Rolls Royce 94RF-28th-july-08-pics-225.jpg  

Restoration of Rolls Royce 94RF-28th-july-08-pics-233.jpg  

Restoration of Rolls Royce 94RF-31st-july-08-pics-024.jpg  

Restoration of Rolls Royce 94RF-31st-july-08-pics-018.jpg  

Restoration of Rolls Royce 94RF-29th-july-08-pics-024.jpg  

Restoration of Rolls Royce 94RF-31st-july-08-pics-086.jpg  

Restoration of Rolls Royce 94RF-31st-july-08-pics-088.jpg  

Restoration of Rolls Royce 94RF-31st-july-08-pics-092.jpg  

Restoration of Rolls Royce 94RF-31st-july-08-pics-130.jpg  

Restoration of Rolls Royce 94RF-31st-july-08-pics-177.jpg  

Restoration of Rolls Royce 94RF-1st-august-08-pics-006.jpg  

Restoration of Rolls Royce 94RF-1st-august-08-pics-003.jpg  

Restoration of Rolls Royce 94RF-8th-august-08-pics-076.jpg  

Restoration of Rolls Royce 94RF-8th-august-08-pics-017.jpg  

Restoration of Rolls Royce 94RF-8th-august-08-pics-014.jpg  

Restoration of Rolls Royce 94RF-8th-august-08-pics-064.jpg  

Restoration of Rolls Royce 94RF-8th-august-08-pics-088.jpg  

Restoration of Rolls Royce 94RF-13th-august-08-pics-041.jpg  

Restoration of Rolls Royce 94RF-13th-august-08-pics-042.jpg  

Restoration of Rolls Royce 94RF-15th-august-08-hp-pics-img_9223-55.jpg  

Old 7th October 2009, 15:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

Wow that a good way to start off.what is the current progress ?
Old 7th October 2009, 15:47   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post

Hi, 94RF is already back in India! fully finished! i will add some more pictures soon showing more stages of restoration all the way through to the finished car

Many thanks
Steve
Old 7th October 2009, 15:50   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineeagle View Post
Hi to all, As requested i am starting a new thread to show in detail the condition of 94RF as we received it, and progress pictures showing various stages of the restoration. As i have said before we at Alpine Eagle were delighted to receive instruction to restore such a wonderful and historically important car.
Wonderful, we are very grateful to the team for sharing this experience with us. Do share the time frames with us too, if possible.

Quote:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-19...-india-71.html
Old 7th October 2009, 16:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

I Hope this thread Shows our Indian Restorers how restoration needs to be done!!
I have seen many restoration outfits in England and Germany, and they are Very methodical and do it with passion.
Its the attitude thats important, and thats whats lacking back here.
The average european worker costs 20 times our worker but his output and quality is 10 times better. A Pound may be Rs.75 here but in buying power there its just Rs.15
Old 7th October 2009, 16:37   #6
BHPian

So, now we also know what the 94RF post-restoration looks like!!
Thanks for sharing pictures of that beautiful car karlosdeville.

@alpineeagle : That's a splendid job you've done there. Absolutely magnificent!
Old 7th October 2009, 16:45   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineeagle View Post
Hi, 94RF is already back in India! fully finished! i will add some more pictures soon showing more stages of restoration all the way through to the finished car

Many thanks
Steve
I'm completely new to any thing regarding restoration, but the car seems to be in relatively decent condition considering it's nearly a century(?) old, is that correct? Were the mechanicals in a motorable condition?

It'll be a super experience walking through the restoration experience on this thread. Thanks for sharing the process.
Old 7th October 2009, 16:54   #8
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a ton for sharing alpineeagle !! This will be a precious record and we are thankful to you for hosting it here for all to see and learn.

What kind of mechanical attention did it require?
Old 7th October 2009, 17:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not done your research

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
I Hope this thread Shows our Indian Restorers how restoration needs to be done!!
I have seen many restoration outfits in England and Germany, and they are Very methodical and do it with passion.
Its the attitude thats important, and thats whats lacking back here.
The average european worker costs 20 times our worker but his output and quality is 10 times better. A Pound may be Rs.75 here but in buying power there its just Rs.15
Agreed, but it is not only the pay. Just ask any restorer. A 'karigar' can agree to work for a certain rate, take advance and after some time disappear, often leaving the work half done. Or they go to village during festival, sickness etc. and come back from extended leave. As it is vintage karigars get paid more than the ordinary car karigars. And then there are company karigars, those who work in authorised dealerships etc. There these karigars are sometimes employed, but they also tend to work on contract basis.
I am of the view that paying more money to the karigars does not necessarily mean better and timely workmanship. Any restorer on this forum willing to comment?

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 7th October 2009 at 17:23.
Old 7th October 2009, 17:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

Cant wait for further posts on this. what was the actual mileage on the car when it reached you guys for its resurrection ?
Old 7th October 2009, 17:32   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Wonderful, we are very grateful to the team for sharing this experience with us. Do share the time frames with us too, if possible.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-19...-india-71.html
This is not a problem, and i am very glad it is of such interest to you all, in regards to the time frame 94RF arrived at our workshop at the end of July 08, and as we had to give the car no mechanical attention we managed to sort everything else by early December 08.
Old 7th October 2009, 17:39   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
I'm completely new to any thing regarding restoration, but the car seems to be in relatively decent condition considering it's nearly a century(?) old, is that correct? Were the mechanicals in a motorable condition?

It'll be a super experience walking through the restoration experience on this thread. Thanks for sharing the process.

Hi and welcome to the restoration business! yes we are all in agreement that 94Rf was in remarkable condition, we have re - built cars from rusting remnants! an associate of our came to India and managed to get the car into a drivable condition, new tyres were needed along with cleaning the fuel system and air intake. The sump was removed and engine spun over to make sure there wasn't any damage to crankshaft or scoring on the cylinder bores. luckily everything internal wise seems to be in good condition.
Old 7th October 2009, 17:42   #13

What kind of mechanical attention did it require?[/quote]

Luckily this had been attended to in India by an associate so we didnt have to do anything to the mechanical workings of the car, we jump started 94RF when it arrived and drove it into the workshop!
Old 7th October 2009, 17:46   #14
BHPian

Alpineeagle mentions that he got the car in July 08, while the pics on the forum are of Mar 08. It looks in pretty good nick in the Mar 08 pics. Have i missed out on something?
Old 7th October 2009, 17:47   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Cant wait for further posts on this. what was the actual mileage on the car when it reached you guys for its resurrection ?

The Mileage of 94RF when it arrived with us was just under 6800 miles!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks