Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2010, 16:45   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dussey View Post
My Prewar Triumph 3H has been featured in the newspaper, "The Hindu",
Metro Plus Chennai edition on Wednesday, 03February,2010.
Please see the link below:The Hindu : Metro Plus Chennai / Wheels : On the wheels of history
Congrats Dussey, You must be one proud man.
Did you send it to Kolkatta for restoration?
Regards
Old 1st March 2010, 17:40   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Congrats Dussey, You must be one proud man.
Did you send it to Kolkatta for restoration?
Regards
Thanks, deutscheafrikar. It is the appreciation of enthusiasts like you,
that keeps us going. Yes, I did get it done up in Kolkatta.
You will soon see my BSA C11, it is being restored in Chennai.
Old 9th April 2010, 20:45   #18
BHPian

Hi Dussey,
Nice to see someone who is fond of these old horses like me - most of the guys here are car enthus(sorry nothing against them)!
Saw your bike and I must congratulate you on your efforts the bike looks great. I have the same bikes(2 of them actually) 99.5% original( i reduced 0.5% for the tail lamp which is not original).
There are few things in your bike which need to be replaced/changed(please do not take it as criticism It will only help you bring your old horse to its old glory I will also help you sourcing parts in case you need them)
Sorry but this cannot be a 3H because 3H was a civilian model which had light controls, amp meter, oil pressure meter on the tank. It also had a bigger Head lamp.
- The correct name is Triumph 3HW as suggested by Tonreg- it is normally mentioned on the engine.
- It cannot be a 1940 model as they started making them only in 14th Nov 1941 onwards. Possibily you are not aware of the actual year because most of these bike which are in existence today are Army disposal models- so never had a manufacturing year on the documents. Most of the bikes which came to India were 1942 model.The bikes which India got were amongst the 5495 bikes produced between 03rd April 1942 to June 1943. 3HWs were produced till September 1945.
- the brake and clutch levers on the handles are not original(most probably a BSA 500 fitting)
- The moulded Triumph Logo is not original equipment. These bikes came only with painted logo. This might have been fixed later by the new owner(aftermarket job as the logos were later available for civilian models).
- The horn is not original equipment.
- The Dynamo cap on the left hand side is not original equipment
- One of the rear mudguard rod fitting is missing. you have used single rods on the same sides.
- Choke lever is missing
- Horn assembly is of an R.Enfield(old model)
- Oil Tank cape is not original
- The chain guard is not original - probably somebody fabricated it.
- The silencer bend pipe is from an Enfield - the origial has an external support bracket.

I hope you will look for the original parts or fabricate them to bring back your iron horse to its glory.

Have lots of fun with it!

regards
Old 11th April 2010, 22:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

Sweet Bike. Would like to know the history of this beauty.

PS: Is that a cast iron cylinder head?
Old 12th April 2010, 20:56   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damasthebiker View Post
Hi Dussey,
Nice to see someone who is fond of these old horses like me - most of the guys here are car enthus(sorry nothing against them)!
Saw your bike and I must congratulate you on your efforts the bike looks great. I have the same bikes(2 of them actually) 99.5% original( i reduced 0.5% for the tail lamp which is not original).
There are few things in your bike which need to be replaced/changed(please do not take it as criticism It will only help you bring your old horse to its old glory I will also help you sourcing parts in case you need them)
Sorry but this cannot be a 3H because 3H was a civilian model which had light controls, amp meter, oil pressure meter on the tank. It also had a bigger Head lamp.
- The correct name is Triumph 3HW as suggested by Tonreg- it is normally mentioned on the engine.
- It cannot be a 1940 model as they started making them only in 14th Nov 1941 onwards. Possibily you are not aware of the actual year because most of these bike which are in existence today are Army disposal models- so never had a manufacturing year on the documents. Most of the bikes which came to India were 1942 model.The bikes which India got were amongst the 5495 bikes produced between 03rd April 1942 to June 1943. 3HWs were produced till September 1945.
- the brake and clutch levers on the handles are not original(most probably a BSA 500 fitting)
- The moulded Triumph Logo is not original equipment. These bikes came only with painted logo. This might have been fixed later by the new owner(aftermarket job as the logos were later available for civilian models).
- The horn is not original equipment.
- The Dynamo cap on the left hand side is not original equipment
- One of the rear mudguard rod fitting is missing. you have used single rods on the same sides.
- Choke lever is missing
- Horn assembly is of an R.Enfield(old model)
- Oil Tank cape is not original
- The chain guard is not original - probably somebody fabricated it.
- The silencer bend pipe is from an Enfield - the origial has an external support bracket.

I hope you will look for the original parts or fabricate them to bring back your iron horse to its glory.

Have lots of fun with it!

regards
Thanks, damastherbiker. Healthy criticism is always welcome. The bike is certainly a civilian 3H perhaps 1938 registered later. The Tank is original with the chrome logo. The Lucas horn etc have been acquired and will go into the bike shortly. Although I am basically a car enthusiast, am into bikes and scooters too. You can see my .46 AJS 16M in " My Garage" , so can you the rest of my bikes as and when they are restored and posted.
Old 13th April 2010, 11:20   #21
BHPian

I m still not very sure if its a 3 H. I have done extensive research when I got my first 3HW. Anyways I am attaching a photo of the most original 3H I could find. You might believe me now by spoting the differences. I m also attaching a pic of original 3HW as it was produced during the war time, here you can spot all the similarities.
BTW which other bikes and cars do you have I m not a big car fan but have Standard herald Mark 2 1967 and a Morris 8 1942(both under restoration).

regards
Attached Thumbnails
My Triumph 3H  350CC-triumph_1939_3h_350cc.jpg  

My Triumph 3H  350CC-triumph_3h.jpg  

My Triumph 3H  350CC-triumph_3hw_b_small.jpg  

Old 13th April 2010, 11:32   #22
BHPian

Just saw your Garage - great cars you have there wonderfull to see. I love your Ford GPW and Mercedes! great going!!! Is that you in the Ford picture?
Old 15th April 2010, 20:30   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damasthebiker View Post
Just saw your Garage - great cars you have there wonderfull to see. I love your Ford GPW and Mercedes! great going!!! Is that you in the Ford picture?
Thanks ! Yes, it sure is me in the Ford GPW.
Old 3rd February 2013, 18:48   #24
BHPian

Re: My Triumph 3H 350CC

My Triumph motorcycle participated in "The Hindu- Chennai to Pondicherry Heritage Rally which was held on 19-20Jan,2013.
My team was the first motorcycle team to participate in this rally as only cars were entered all these years.
I had entered my Triumph 3H & my newly restored 1954 BSA C-11.
Both the bikes went without any hitch and the performance of the Triumph was exemplary. The Triumph was ridden by a veteran Mr Gowrishankar , who is almost as old as the bike ! Here are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
My Triumph 3H  350CC-dsc01288-r.jpg  

My Triumph 3H  350CC-dsc01299-r.jpg  

My Triumph 3H  350CC-dsc01310-r.jpg  

My Triumph 3H  350CC-dsc01322-r.jpg  

My Triumph 3H  350CC-dsc01327-r.jpg  

My Triumph 3H  350CC-dsc01343-r.jpg  

My Triumph 3H  350CC-dsc01344-r.jpg  

My Triumph 3H  350CC-dsc01366-r.jpg  

Dussey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 16:22   #25
BHPian

Re: My Triumph 3H 350CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dussey View Post
Thanks, damastherbiker. Healthy criticism is always welcome. The bike is certainly a civilian 3H perhaps 1938 registered later. The Tank is original with the chrome logo. The Lucas horn etc have been acquired and will go into the bike shortly. Although I am basically a car enthusiast, am into bikes and scooters too. You can see my .46 AJS 16M in " My Garage" , so can you the rest of my bikes as and when they are restored and posted.
Old post, but the bike is a Triumph 3HW, made between 1942-45 and not a 3H. The model no. 3HW is inscribed as a prefix to the engine no. on the left side engine crankcase, under the barrel. I'm restoring my second 3HW presently, after having done one, way back in 1995
cosmic_ocean is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed