Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2019, 08:58   #196
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 1932 Plymouth PB Seven Passenger Delux Sedan

It has been more than 10 years of ownership of the car!

The PB is on display at UB City at the FIVA/FHVI Event, for the next 2 days.

1932 Plymouth PB Seven Passenger Delux Sedan-image1.jpeg

1932 Plymouth PB Seven Passenger Delux Sedan-image2.jpeg

The MOPAR period handles have been acquired and fitted on the car. The original ones were white metal and unfortunately went missing during our restoration.

1932 Plymouth PB Seven Passenger Delux Sedan-image3.jpeg

1932 Plymouth PB Seven Passenger Delux Sedan-image4.jpeg

1932 Plymouth PB Seven Passenger Delux Sedan-image5.jpeg

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th March 2019, 00:04   #197
Senior - BHPian

I was at UB City too today. The cars were very nicely displayed. My daughter enjoyed viewing them and here is a pic with my Daughter and the immaculate Plymouth! Have a safe drive to Devanahalli.
Attached Thumbnails
1932 Plymouth PB Seven Passenger Delux Sedan-img_20190316_184722874.jpg  

arun1100 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 15:05   #198
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

My wife Dr. Smitha, is an artist in her own right. Using the medium of coffee decoction she painted the Plymouth

The shadows look wonderful

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 15:18   #199
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
My wife Dr. Smitha, is an artist in her own right.
True that. I tried sketching a motorbike once and it is very difficult to get the perspective right. It always starts looking bent as soon as a new detail is added. Its difficult to get the symmetry right too.

Love to see her simple yet elegant artwork.
Old 16th October 2019, 13:44   #200
BHPian

I was in Bangalore recently to attend the 2019 FHVI Royal Classic Dasara Drive to Mysore. Bhpian sgchaudhuri & I stayed with KPS and his extraordinary family for 2 days prior to the event while 'Bella', my 1963 Fiat Super Select, was being looked after by bulletboy, Srinand & Bharat. My Fiat was there to participate in the FHVI event.

Being absolutely nuts about classic cars, I had to see KPS's Plymouth, especially since I have been following this thread since it started & heard so much about the car.

My impressions on the Plymouth: She looks almost exactly like in the photos on Bhp, except she's larger than I thought. The word that describes the design, especially when looking at the front of the car is 'handsome'. The Plymouth has a rather short windscreen, almost in the style of a Barker/Vanden Plas/Gurney Nutting bodied pre-war Roll-Royce or Bentley, which gives the Plymouth a rakish & sporty look from the front and makes the roof line appear lower than it actually is.

As I was admiring the exterior of the car, the single centre mounted spot lamp with a swiveling function caught my eye. I was curious to see the mechanism. Long linkages from the steering wheel connects to the spot lamp assembly-quite an elaborate set-up. An advanced feature for the day is the hydraulic clutch which took me completely by surprise! As KPS has explained here earlier, this car features a 4 cylinder motor, a rather large 4 cylinder. What didn't strike me and KPS pointed out, was the unequal length of the front & rear doors. The front doors are substantially longer than the rear doors, again giving the illusion of a sportier body. The exterior luggage rack, lovely cloisonne 'Plymouth' emblems and the beautiful period trunk (kept safely inside the house itself when the car is not in use) are other wonderful features of the Plymouth.

Note the substantially longer front door on the Plymouth and the rakish windscreen

1932 Plymouth PB Seven Passenger Delux Sedan-aide1.jpg

The handsome front

1932 Plymouth PB Seven Passenger Delux Sedan-front.jpg

Another angle; note the vessel with sawdust

1932 Plymouth PB Seven Passenger Delux Sedan-rear3quarts.jpg

The rear with it's rack for the trunk. Note the neat carved wedge shaped stone behind the rear tyre to avoid the car rolling back

1932 Plymouth PB Seven Passenger Delux Sedan-rear1.jpg

I love interiors of cars and readily got inside. The dash with it's stylised instrument console is pure eye candy. Cars back then had so much artistry in their design and it's all so pleasing on the eyes without trying hard; God alone knows what happened to design over the decades. Modern cars have silly gimmicky design elements, trying desperately hard to grab your attention.

The rear passengers are spoilt for space. This being a limousine, there are jump seats & even with them erected, there's enough leg room for the regular rear passenger. The jump seats collapse neatly and sit flush behind the front seat back. I liked the way the interiors have been upholstered, somber shades throughout with a feel of recent patina.

Plymouth's elegantly styled instrument console

1932 Plymouth PB Seven Passenger Delux Sedan-dash.jpg

These pics gives a good idea of the space available at the rear

1932 Plymouth PB Seven Passenger Delux Sedan-interiorrear.jpg

1932 Plymouth PB Seven Passenger Delux Sedan-mesitting3.jpg

Of course, I had to ask KPS & his wonderful father (I am his namesake) to start the big Plymouth even though she hadn't been started too recently. We were all happy when she roared to life after just a few cranks and settled to smooth idle! I think at that moment KPS & his dad decided that they would very soon drive the car since the new addition to the stable, a superbly original VW Beetle, was taking up most of KPS's classic motoring time!

New addition, the lovely VW Beetle which provided an entire day of trouble free motoring in Bangalore's impossible traffic

1932 Plymouth PB Seven Passenger Delux Sedan-groupbeetle.jpg

1932 Plymouth PB Seven Passenger Delux Sedan-beetletop.jpg

So these are my impressions of the Plymouth, big, handsome, sporty looking with some advanced features and a colour choice that goes very well with the lines of the car.

1932 Plymouth PB Seven Passenger Delux Sedan-mestanding.jpg

I must mention the garage here. sgchaudhuri and I were very impressed with the neat garage. The 2 of us are from Calcutta & you'd be hard pressed to find a neat garage built for classic cars in Cal. KPS & his father take great pains to keep their cars and garage clean. If there's an minor oil drip (and there usually is somewhere on a classic), they have a vessel with sawdust so the oil doesn't stain the floor. Tyres have neat, wedge shaped carved stones ahead and behind them to avoid the inadvertent roll. Granite slabs on the floor indicate where the cars need to be driven upto to close the garage door comfortably. And the best part, the single garage door which swivels upwards with just a light push, designed by KPS & his dad. Counter weights on the the door & bearing mounts make easy work of operating the door; this is something I have to incorporate one day in my garage.

I also got to ride shotgun in KPS's newly acquired Beetle for almost an entire day; she runs like a modern car! Fantastic.

On our last night with KPS, his father & I were quite concerned about my Fiat being parked in the non-covered parking area at their house, since three of us (KPS's amazing octogenarian father, sgchaudhuri & I) had thoroughly cleaned my Fiat for 4 hours which ended after 1:00 am! And so, instead of the Beetle which usually shares the garage with the big Plymouth, my little Fiat shared garage space with the Plymouth!

Two great days with two lovely cars spent with KPS and his family-now I'm waiting for their Daimler to arrive!

Last edited by Aditya : 17th October 2019 at 21:02. Reason: Rule #11
mbz180 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th October 2019, 13:17   #201
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you Prithvi for your kind words.

The Plymouth does pleasantly surprise most people. The size of the car can only be experience when actually seen.

It was wonderful having you and sgchoudhuri with us. Had a blast in the Beetle as we drove across Bangalore.

Here are pictures of us driving around

1932 Plymouth PB Seven Passenger Delux Sedan-image2.jpeg

Thanks

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2021, 15:15   #202
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

After more than a decade of ownership, the last few years have been rather quiet for this fantastic car. The Daimler restoration was given total priority and the Beetle was used for the drives.

After more than 10 years, the hydraulic brakes had failed and there were things which need to the checked, reset, repaired or replaced.

Time to wake up the Plymouth, as the Daimler takes rest, having done more than 1000 kms in Dec'20
1932 Plymouth PB Seven Passenger Delux Sedan-3.jpg

What better place than Rodricks Restoration to get the car fully checked for mechanical work. As per me the engine is absolutely fine, except for the water pump. The brakes, suspension, clutch, gearbox, electrical, fuel lines etc will be checked out.

Christopher supervises the loading of the car. Since the brakes have failed, we had to flatbed the car.
1932 Plymouth PB Seven Passenger Delux Sedan-1.jpg

Off she goes and when she comes back, she would be back in action, hitting the roads of Bangalore
1932 Plymouth PB Seven Passenger Delux Sedan-2.jpg

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 11:49   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

A 1932 advertisement for the new Plymouth range, similar to KPS's lovely car. The saloon is illustrated here, priced at Rs. 4,950

1932 Plymouth PB Seven Passenger Delux Sedan-ply.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 14:39   #204
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
A 1932 advertisement for the new Plymouth range, similar to KPS's lovely car. The saloon is illustrated here, priced at Rs. 4,950

Attachment 2229517
Thanks Karl for this very interesting share

Probably a 1931 PA model, as the free standing headlights came about from 1932 PB model

Cheers

KPS

Last edited by KPS : 8th November 2021 at 14:40.
KPS is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks