Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2010, 11:43   #166
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Will we get to see the results of the pro-shoot?
Since he's done it as a favour to me will request his permission to share pictures here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
After it comes to Chennai is there a chance that it would be exhibited somewhere by TVS?
In all probablity it will be on display at our GM showroom in Chennai.

Quote:
On a lighter note, while at Lumbini park, did anyone ask you "kitna deta hai?"
Interestingly they seem to have graduated from mileage queries to "what is the size of the engine" !!
Old 17th August 2010, 11:45   #167
Senior - BHPian

Deepakji, many thanks for having me over yesterday. The Master Phaeton looks simply gorgeous in flesh and as already pointed out the subtle details in design simply keeps one spell bound especially the curved windshield and big headlamps which provide it a mean look apt for the yesteryears Chicago Mobsters .

But all in all an epitome of understated elegance.

P.S: It was nice meeting your friends as well and I got to learn quite a few things about classics and photography yesterday. Many thanks again!
Old 17th August 2010, 12:07   #168
BHPian

Deepak-bhai, khuda ki kasam....LA JAWAB !!
Old 17th August 2010, 20:23   #169
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcm1985 View Post
Deepak-bhai, khuda ki kasam....LA JAWAB !!
Thank you bhai, am glad you liked it.
Old 17th August 2010, 20:36   #170
DKG
Senior - BHPian

I am delighted to share with you guys something unique I tried for this car with awesome results. Instead of the pathetic clear plastic used for curtains I have used ultra thin polycarbonate sheets. They are as clear as glass and give the car a gorgeous appearance when up

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-img_0128.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-img_0125.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-img_0123.jpg
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2010, 22:00   #171
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Final set of pictures from my side. Hope you guys have enjoyed viewing MDR 200 as much as I do everytime I look at it.

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-img_0117.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-img_0114.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-img_0001.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-img_0002.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-img_0011.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-img_0014.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-img_0015.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-img_0016.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-img_0017.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-img_0018.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-img_0019.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-img_0020.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-img_0021.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-img_0061.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-img_0062.jpg
Old 17th August 2010, 22:24   #172
DKG
Senior - BHPian

We never hear of the silent champions of the many amazing restorations that take place across the country. Its about time due credit is given to all those who make it possible.

Here are my champions, from left to right Krishna Prasad, Yuvraj, Mani and Kaiser.

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-img_0065.jpg

Krishna Prasad or KP as we call him handled all the mechanical and electrical work. Venkat not in the picture was around to assist us.

Yuvraj helped dismantling the zillions pieces of the car and bin them in trunks with labels

Mani is the master painter. I can devote an entire thread to the detail Mani and I go to in order to ensure a high quality paintjob. Painting is something very close to my heart as there's so much art in the whole business of getting it right

Last but not the least is Kaiser. Master metal craftsman. Like Mani for Kaiser too I can devote an entire thread. He was integral in putting the whole car back together.

While these guys were the main players behind MDR 200's transformation there are many many more people who impacted the overall result in a big way.

Girish, Pare John and team from Stanley, Qaiser for the masterful execution of the top, Salim who helped me sort out the starter and dynamo and many more from our staff who pitched in a helping hand.

I was overjoyed when many of our employees who were privy to this amazing process stepped up today to request a picture with MDR 200.

I didn't realise that so many in our workshop had silently observed and admired the dramatic transformation of MDR 200.

Last edited by DKG : 17th August 2010 at 22:28.
Old 17th August 2010, 22:46   #173
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Here are some pictures taken by my friend Gururaj Chimalgi. No matter what field it is passion is something which is almost sacred when it manifests iteself in a myriad ways. Yesterday as I spent a good 4 hours with Gururaj, his friend and a colleague, I realised that a life devoid of passion is as good as no life. Here was someone deeply passionate about photography and equally fond of all things automotive. I have a lot of regard for people who are passionate about something or the other in life.

Enjoy some unique perspectives of MDR 200

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-f1140007.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-f1140001.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-f1140003.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-f1140006.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-f1140008.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-f1140016.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-f1140015.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-f1140005.jpg

Last edited by DKG : 17th August 2010 at 22:47.
Old 17th August 2010, 23:05   #174
Senior - BHPian

Fabulous restoration sir, and superb photographs.
Your write up accompanying each stage too, is a treat to read.

The final finish looks too good to be true. In some of the photographs, she looks like a gorgeous, fantastically detailed Franklin Mint model !!
Old 18th August 2010, 09:49   #175
Senior - BHPian

Great Pictures Deepak Sir.

Kudos to you and your wonderful team for this amazing work.

Long live 'MDR 200'
Old 18th August 2010, 13:26   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Here are some pictures taken by my friend Gururaj Chimalgi.
Enjoy some unique perspectives of MDR 200
Deepak,

Really nice photos. I am sue that your friend is a "master"

I don't know if it was photoshopped or original BW shots. If they were shot in BW then I would say it is a tribute the art of BW Photography. Just look how the details come alive in the shots.

An easy example - the shot of the tail lamp. The Chevrolet lettering in it, looks so nice. I kno it was there in your colour shots as well, but I for one just glossed over it earlier. But in BW shots it stands out. The Bonnet Mascot - Lovely details and excellent work of restoration as well.

At the cost of being repetetive - Congratulations and team on a good job!

It was nice to see the team as well

(the main guys who worked with you - in the photos you can see it in their eyes that they realise MDR 200 is something special and they are really proud of it)

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Old 18th August 2010, 18:28   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In all probablity it will be on display at our GM showroom in Chennai.
Whaaat? This American high quality workhorse to be kept in a showroom selling half Chinese cars? Today's Chevys (BTW, GM hates that name, it should be Chevrolet) are ex-Korean cars and GM co-operates with a Chinese co.

Quote:
Here are some pictures taken by my friend Gururaj Chimalgi. No matter what field it is passion is something which is almost sacred when it manifests iteself in a myriad ways. Yesterday as I spent a good 4 hours with Gururaj, his friend and a colleague, I realised that a life devoid of passion is as good as no life. Here was someone deeply passionate about photography and equally fond of all things automotive. I have a lot of regard for people who are passionate about something or the other in life. Enjoy some unique perspectives of MDR 200
Lovely pics, should have been posted in the nostalgic section. Some pics appear a bit unfocused, then I checked again, and saw the intention of focusing on a part with background slightly off. Very nice effect.

Cheers harit
Old 19th August 2010, 07:53   #178
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am delighted to share with you guys something unique I tried for this car with awesome results. Instead of the pathetic clear plastic used for curtains I have used ultra thin polycarbonate sheets. They are as clear as glass and give the car a gorgeous appearance when up
Yes this looks very neat and fits with the over all appearance of the car. Only question is how will this be stored in the car? The plastics were favoured as the same could be folded.

DKG, overall just superb. Having seen this car on more than one occasion with you explaining was a privilege.

By the way the paint on job on your uncles Chevrolet was very good.

Cheers

KPS
Old 19th August 2010, 09:21   #179
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Whaaat? This American high quality workhorse to be kept in a showroom selling half Chinese cars?
I am not sure but I think it will be parked there. I have requested the car be used regularly so that she remains in good health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Only question is how will this be stored in the car? The plastics were favoured as the same could be folded.
Well actually KPS these curtains have a metal frame so they were never folded, simply stored behind the rear seat back. The only issue with poly carbonate is it scratches easily and one should be careful not to be too careless while removing them from storage and installing. But this small need for care aside they look fab

Quote:
By the way the paint on job on your uncles Chevrolet was very good.
Thanks KPS. I have also painted a friend's Standard 2000, looks awesome in Audi red !!
Old 19th August 2010, 10:04   #180
BHPian

Quote:
DKG, I know the original design is such but after looking at this set of pictures I can't help but think that the passengers in the car will get wet during a good rain. Not that it rains in Chennai nor should the car in this conditon be driven in the rains but for the period that it was sold new do you think this was the case? This thought came to mind as the gaps seem to be too big.

And if they do display it at the showroom, please do ask them to cordon it off well - except maybe when I visit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks