Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2010, 10:22   #181
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
This thought came to mind as the gaps seem to be too big.
Not sure if I understood you correctly. When the curtains are up there is no gap anywhere and it seals pretty well. Could you elaborate where you see gaps?
Old 19th August 2010, 10:55   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Not sure if I understood you correctly. When the curtains are up there is no gap anywhere and it seals pretty well. Could you elaborate where you see gaps?

Deepak,

May be SafeDrive is referring to this picture below

But I think I can see buttons on the vertical edge and it would bottondown somewhere

Best Regads & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-img_01231.jpg  

Old 19th August 2010, 11:01   #183
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Deepak,

May be SafeDrive is referring to this picture below
yes I think you are right. The curtains in this picture are not finished yet. The buttons are still be be installed. The curtains attach to pegs on the windscreen and button down onto the doors all along the side. Once buttoned up they seal pretty well. Successive curtains overlap so that further keeps water out
Old 19th August 2010, 11:12   #184
DKG
Senior - BHPian

MDR 200 waiting to be loaded into a truck for Chennai

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-mdrfinal-004.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-mdrfinal-008.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-mdrfinal-009.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-mdrfinal-010.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-mdrfinal-011.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-mdrfinal-012.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-mdrfinal-014.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-mdrfinal-016.jpg
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2010, 11:17   #185
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-mdrfinal-023.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-mdrfinal-024.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-mdrfinal-027.jpg

All packed up and strapped down ready for a long drive home

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-mdrfinal-029.jpg
Old 19th August 2010, 11:41   #186
BHPian

Quote:
yes I think you are right. The curtains in this picture are not finished yet. The buttons are still be be installed. The curtains attach to pegs on the windscreen and button down onto the doors all along the side. Once buttoned up they seal pretty well. Successive curtains overlap so that further keeps water out
That picture and the one just above it. Gap was probably the wrong word to use there. I was refering to the overlaps really. From this side I was not sure if they were sealed, just an overlap of two curtains is not a very effective way of keeping water out. I guess this comes from my younger days of riding KeSRTC buses which had something similar on some of them .

By the way, please od let me know if this makes it to the showroom - would love to have a look at it.
Old 19th August 2010, 12:35   #187
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
just an overlap of two curtains is not a very effective way of keeping water out.
Even the overlaps get buttoned together.

BTW recently on my drive back from Bombay in my Jeep we encountered pouring rain all the way from Sholapur to Hyderbad. My Jeep has similar curtains which overlap and not a drop of water comes in. But yes they do need to be fastened together either with buttons or the simpler modern route of velcro.
Old 19th August 2010, 16:12   #188
BHPian

Restoring Cheverolet Vintage Car

Quote:
I am delighted to share with you guys something unique I tried for this car with awesome results. Instead of the pathetic clear plastic used for curtains I have used ultra thin polycarbonate sheets. They are as clear as glass and give the car a gorgeous appearance when up

Attachment 408297

Attachment 408298

Attachment 408299
Dear Deepak,
Wonderful job.
Highly motivating.
I am a 70 yr old vintage car enthusiast who has picked up this hobby recently( 2 yrs ago). I hv restored a few vintage cars like 1946 simco 8 , an 1947 austin 8 , a couple of morris Minors, a morris minor convertible and a few short chasis low bonnet Jeeps.
Currently i hv just acquired a 1933-39 chevy master deluxe and a 1946 Chevy Fleetmaster 4 door convertible belonging to earstwhile maharaja of Bikaner. I plan to restore them to their pristine glory.

Want to restore them to your quality restoration levels, however i hv my financial constraints. Still please help and guide me with it.

Attached a few photos of both cars.

Thanks.
Ravi Kapur
+91 93145 05337
Jaipur.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-dsc00070.jpg  

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-dsc00073.jpg  

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-dsc00075.jpg  

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-dsc00109.jpg  

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-dsc00110.jpg  

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-photo0434.jpg  

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-photo0436.jpg  

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-16feb2010-038.jpg  

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-dsc00168.jpg  

Old 19th August 2010, 18:54   #189
Senior - BHPian

Is the Green convertible Chevy (RJF) originally a convertible or has the top been chopped off of a Sedan ?

Your other Master Deluxe Sedan is very nice and wuiet original though !
Old 20th August 2010, 00:02   #190
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi Kapur View Post
I plan to restore them to their pristine glory.
Raviji congrats on your new acquisitiions. Both cars seem like candidates for very fine restorations. I am sure you will find restoring such clean cars a delight.

Please feel free to call me anytime if I can be of any use. My number is 9849168500.

Cargaze, sorry was not able to go through the manuals to answer your query, will reply soon

For those interested in info on where to source parts for Chevy's I have used the following:

The Filling Station - comprehensive collection of spares
Kanter Auto Products - great source for many parts
Bill Hirsch - top or upholstery material
Stanley Leather
Coker Tyres

Some parts were bought from other vendors across the US

Chevs of the 40's is also a good source for later model Chevy parts

The most wonderful aspect of restoring cars today is that we have the internet. I cannot give enough credit for how invaluable the net is. I ordered all the parts through email and online catalogs. Not a single call made to the US !! This is the most amazing aspect of this restoration.

Last edited by DKG : 20th August 2010 at 00:06.
Old 20th August 2010, 09:51   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Is the Green convertible Chevy (RJF) originally a convertible or has the top been chopped off of a Sedan ?

Your other Master Deluxe Sedan is very nice and wuiet original though !
The 1946 Chevy fleetmaster convertible green was ordered by Maharaja of Bikaner and its first registeration no was BiKaNer 12. Around 1966 all maharajas were ordered to get their respective vehicles re-registered with local RTO. I hv checked up the records of RTO Bikaner and it was registered as RJF-791, 1946 fleetmaster 6 cylinder CONVERTIBLE car.

On checking up with the descendents of some of the old Thakur families of BIkaner, who incidently have a similar car but of 1948, informed me that Maharaja Karni Singhji of BIkaner first ordered for such car in 1946 and wanted the facility of collapsible divided windscreen, besides a number of other minor facilities such as in built wine glass holders on the inside of the doors. The late His Highness was some much facinated with the facilities provided for shooting/hunting while sitting on the co driver's seat with windscreen folded , that he ordered for yet another such vehicle in 1948 and was in the HH gargae bearing regn no. "BIKANER 21". This 2nd car is still in use by a thakur family with whom I am in constant touch.

Thats the history of the car which makes me believe that it was originally a convertible.

Ravi Kapur
Jaipur
93145 05337
Old 20th August 2010, 10:57   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Raviji congrats on your new acquisitiions. Both cars seem like candidates for very fine restorations. I am sure you will find restoring such clean cars a delight. For those interested in info on where to source parts for Chevy's I have used the following:
The Filling Station - comprehensive collection of spares
Kanter Auto Products - great source for many parts
Bill Hirsch - top or upholstery material
Stanley Leather
Coker Tyres
Some parts were bought from other vendors across the US
Chevs of the 40's is also a good source for later model Chevy parts
You have left out one of the most important source, Steele Rubber for all rubber parts. For most American cars they offer a complete set, includes weatherstrips, glass rubbers, even the base of lights, bumper rubbers etc. I personally try to get a whole set for any American car being restored. They also have rubber for some European cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi Kapur View Post
The 1946 Chevy fleetmaster convertible green was ordered by Maharaja of Bikaner and its first registeration no was BiKaNer 12. Around 1966 all maharajas were ordered to get their respective vehicles re-registered with local RTO. I hv checked up the records of RTO Bikaner and it was registered as RJF-791, 1946 fleetmaster 6 cylinder CONVERTIBLE car.

On checking up with the descendents of some of the old Thakur families of BIkaner, who incidently have a similar car but of 1948, informed me that Maharaja Karni Singhji of BIkaner first ordered for such car in 1946 and wanted the facility of collapsible divided windscreen, besides a number of other minor facilities such as in built wine glass holders on the inside of the doors. The late His Highness was some much facinated with the facilities provided for shooting/hunting while sitting on the co driver's seat with windscreen folded , that he ordered for yet another such vehicle in 1948 and was in the HH gargae bearing regn no. "BIKANER 21". This 2nd car is still in use by a thakur family with whom I am in constant touch.

Thats the history of the car which makes me believe that it was originally a convertible.

Ravi Kapur
Jaipur
93145 05337
Sorry, but no way was this car ever originally supplied as a convertible by Chevrolet. An alteration has certainly been done, and probably many years ago. Bikaner also had a 1947 Buick Super 8 whose top was cut. The story is that this was a requirement for Shikar. The Buick is in the Titus collection, and was a participant in the Cartier event in 2008. It was in the category of cars modified in India and having a history of significance. So, even if this convertible is not original, it has a history and should be maintained as it is. There is a 20HP Rolls in India on which the Maharaja built his own body (rebodied) and that is now the cars history and will be kept like that.
Good luck to your restoration.

Cheers harit

Last edited by tsk1979 : 20th August 2010 at 12:27.
Old 20th August 2010, 11:39   #193
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
You have left out one of the most important source, Steele Rubber for all rubber parts.
Yes that is correct. I had ordered all the parts from The Filling Station who had sourced the rubber parts from Steele. Saved me from separate shipping costs.
Old 21st August 2010, 15:48   #194
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Long time ago in the days when Taveras were still around there was this lovely car...

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-mdrold1.jpg

Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-mdrold2.jpg

Last edited by DKG : 21st August 2010 at 16:01.
Old 21st August 2010, 17:10   #195
BHPian

Hope MDR 200 reached its destination and owners were happy to see such fabulous transformation and splendid beauty, share it if you have any updates.

Wish you all the best, what next!!!

Last edited by vintagepoint5 : 21st August 2010 at 17:17. Reason: typo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks