Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2010, 15:16   #61
BANNED

Great Work DGK !

Hats off for the patience .You have given MDR200 a new life

Did you take the beauty for a drive? Hows the engine performing?
Old 19th June 2010, 15:21   #62
BHPian

Wow! Truly a labour of love. Got really inspired by this thread. I'm in the process of restoring my 47 Dodge and off late I was getting into the habit of cutting corners and taking the easier alternative like using similar or easier available parts/trims etc.

However your thread has now really inspired me to give more attention to detail and strive to maintain orignality as far as possible. Thanks for sharing that wonderful experience.
Old 19th June 2010, 16:33   #63
BHPian

Amazing!

Wow, I simply cannot express in words how impressed and awed I am by the amount of hard work and detail you put into this car.
It looks absolutely fabulous.
Guaranteed to earn respect if you take it out on the street.
Possibly the best restoration I have ever seen.
Old 19th June 2010, 21:14   #64
BANNED

Hi DGK

There is a vintage car,i have not noticed the model or make .If someone is interested to buy it and restore it ,nothing like it.

Its black and has that big wheel arches,will try to get a pic of it soon

Dont know who the owner is ,guess he is not bothered about it.
Old 19th June 2010, 21:45   #65
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Hi DGK

There is a vintage car,i have not noticed the model or make .If someone is interested to buy it and restore it ,nothing like it.

Its black and has that big wheel arches,will try to get a pic of it soon

Dont know who the owner is ,guess he is not bothered about it.
IT looks something similar to this
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton-fiat1100_e_1949_800x600_wallpaper_01.jpg  

Old 20th June 2010, 12:17   #66
Senior - BHPian

Hi Deepak, An absolute dream come true for you eh? Amazing attention to detail and man..you have patience and perseverance.

BTW, that rubber lining that you put on the ladder frame - Where did you exactly get that?

And can i have some details about your mould for the engine mountings fabricated by you?

Thanks !!
Old 20th June 2010, 13:10   #67
BHPian

DKG's restoration efforts were of highest quality and full of creativity, a good learning experience. I have question this Shok Liner Rubber Lining used between Chassis & body, were really used to be in old cars when they come out of factory? But using this Shok Liner Rubber Linning during restoration is very intelligent efforts, hope it make big difference when driving this car. I have seen in video when Rolls Royce were assembling their cars and at final stages of fixing interiors, engineers use lot of special material to stop lot of noise, shocks, vibrations getting in the passenger cabin. We can adopt this idea in vintage car restoration project as well, it will not compromise originality and gives smooth ride with minimum noise.

Mr. Tarun Thakral also have in his collection one Chevrolet of 30's (sky blue combo colour, seems to be 8 Cyl. it does not stepney on the front mudguard. Anybody knows any more Chevrolets of 30's survive in Hyderabad.

Cheers!
Old 20th June 2010, 20:41   #68
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
I have question this Shok Liner Rubber Lining used between Chassis & body, were really used to be in old cars when they come out of factory?
It would have been a canvas pad earlier. Maybe rubberised canvas. Unfortunately the pads become so hard its of no use after so many years. I could have used canvas but I was keen to insulate the vibrations as much as possible. The result is very obvious. The roughness I had encountered in MDR 200 when I drove it first to our workshop is gone. Fresh rubber makes a world of difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
BTW, that rubber lining that you put on the ladder frame - Where did you exactly get that?
I got this from a vendor called The Filling Station.

Quote:
And can i have some details about your mould for the engine mountings fabricated by you?
Normally the mould would have been milled from a block of steel. That would have been very expensive considering I needed only one piece. What I did instead was to weld pieces of quarter inch steel plates to make the mould which could then enable fresh rubber to be filled into the engine mount casing.

Last edited by DKG : 20th June 2010 at 20:42.
Old 20th June 2010, 20:43   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post

Mr. Tarun Thakral also have in his collection one Chevrolet of 30's (sky blue combo colour, seems to be 8 Cyl. it does not stepney on the front mudguard. Anybody knows any more Chevrolets of 30's survive in Hyderabad.

Cheers!
Recently i Had gone with a fellow bhpian to Mr. Thakral's place and saw the cars but i am not allowed to upload the pics here . I saw some really good cars but no permission.

By the way everyone this car doesnt have any shock absorbers. Very very smooth ride indeed with out them
Old 20th June 2010, 20:47   #70
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
By the way everyone this car doesnt have any shock absorbers. Very very smooth ride indeed with out them
Indrojit, perhaps I didn't understand which car you refer to. If its the 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton you are referring to it does have knee action shocks at all four wheels
Old 20th June 2010, 21:59   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Indrojit, perhaps I didn't understand which car you refer to. If its the 1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton you are referring to it does have knee action shocks at all four wheels

That is strange. The car in our workshop has not shock absorbers and neither did the other Calcutta Chevy Big 6 have it. Can you show some pics of the chassis with the shock absorber please.
Old 21st June 2010, 09:44   #72
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
That is strange. The car in our workshop has not shock absorbers and neither did the other Calcutta Chevy Big 6 have it. Can you show some pics of the chassis with the shock absorber please.

This is just the reason why I get parts and shop manuals. Takes the guess work out of restoration and you don't have to rely on hearsay and so called "expert opinion" to figure out what's original

The part numbers for single action shock absorbers for 1933 Chevrolet passenger and 1/2 ton cars are:

all models Front right: 1058609
all models Front left : 1058611
all models except CC rear right: 1058613
all models except CC rear left : 1058615

Will take some pictures and post later
Old 21st June 2010, 11:58   #73
Senior - BHPian

@DKG:

Why are each shocks having a different part number? Any pictures to show the difference?

Thanks
Old 21st June 2010, 13:20   #74
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
@DKG:

Why are each shocks having a different part number? Any pictures to show the difference?

Thanks
The older cars usually had knee action shocks with an arm that attached to another link through an elbow. The arm in turn attached to a splined lateral shaft that came out of the shock body. Which is why they were unique parts and couldn't be fitted to any end
Old 21st June 2010, 17:15   #75
BHPian

Great Work!

DKG,

Its really heartening to see one more rebirth and a thread with every detail.

Its the dedication and the spirit of your team that has brought about such a great restore.

Am indeed speechless upon seeing the final outcome.Wish I could get a chance to see this beauty in flesh.
Please post some pics of the underbody after complete restorations.

I wish the Caddy also gets a fresh lease of life in near future.

My best wishes to you and your team on further restorations.

Regards,
Ajay

Last edited by ajay2233 : 21st June 2010 at 17:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks