Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you think this campaign would be successful?
Yes 32 62.75%
No 13 25.49%
Maybe 6 11.76%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2016, 14:54   #31
BHPian

Re: No Helmet, No fuel in Srinagar. EDIT: Now Odisha and Kerala too

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Talk about a classic rip-off.

When he bought the Unicorn, somewhere in that list of fees I would bet he also bought a helmet.
The paper may be legitimate, but by signing a paper that said he received his helmet without actually getting one, there is no way he can force the dealer to deliver it now without a battle in court.

One should NEVER sign any paper that says they have received something until after they actually get it in their possession.
The old, "Check is in the mail." routine will bite them 9 times out of 10.
Actually they offered to give him a helmet, provided he pay for it. Pay up and sign this form, or dont pay up and sign this form. Choice was obvious.

And to further encourage him, the dealer said that the helmet was not available with them, it will be ready in a few days and that my friend could take the delivery of the vehicle only then.

Apparently helmets have longer waiting periods than bikes!
Old 30th July 2016, 09:25   #32
Team-BHP Support

I don't understand how people can be so stupid! There has been a continuous stubbornness to not buy helmets, even if the awareness exists that having helmet on might just save your life. And a decent one costs all of 1000!

No surprise that this happened. I have a feeling this is politically motivated since a bunch of parties in Pune vehemently protested the helmet compulsory rule considered about a decade ago.

Quote:
FAMPEDA president Uday Lodh said, “If the new rule comes into effect from August 1, we will not pick up or stock petrol and diesel at 4,500 pumps in the state, including 500 in Mumbai, We also intend to move the Bombay High Court seeking annulment of the ‘no helmet, no fuel’ rule for two-wheelers.”

Mr. Lodh said the new directive was flawed because it expected petrol and diesel retailers to perform the duties of law-enforcing authorities. “We are not the police, so it is not our job to implement the laws. If we refuse to provide petrol and diesel to anybody, we can be beaten up, especially at nights when drunk or lumpen elements come for a refill,” he said.
http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle8909458.ece

Last edited by libranof1987 : 30th July 2016 at 09:43.
Old 30th July 2016, 09:36   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I don't understand how people can be so stupid!
If you think about it from the POV of a person standing beside a dispenser, it makes sense. Why should he get beaten up or even abused?

Like our movies, the cops anyway come after everything has happened and a private security guard is as good as nothing.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2016, 09:45   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
If you think about it from the POV of a person standing beside a dispenser, it makes sense. Why should he get beaten up or even abused?

Like our movies, the cops anyway come after everything has happened and a private security guard is as good as nothing.
I agree; my surprise was more directed towards the people who keep refusing to buy helmets. Amended my post accordingly.

I'm curious how things are progressing in Odisha and Kerala.
Old 30th July 2016, 09:51   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
my surprise was more directed towards the people who keep refusing to buy helmets.
This is actually a cultural (for the lack of a better word) issue. Why do we drive/ride on the wrong side of road to reach that median when it is relatively empty? Why do we ignore speed limits when there are no cops around? Why do we park like we own the road unless we are penalised or abused by someone? Why do we overtake from the left knowing it is wrong and dangerous to do so?

When I drive/ride and I see other drivers/riders flouting the rules so blatantly, I tell myself "They don't love themselves, and for a person who doesn't love himself/herself, there is nothing you can do".
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 20:44   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No helmet, no petrol' rule for two-wheeler riders to reduce road accident deaths has come into force in Andhra Pradesh on Thursday, with chief minister Chandrababu Naidu urging all the petrol bunk dealers to cooperate.
Source

This rule has been in force in WB for a while . I've seen that people wear helmets while visiting bunks , but helmet less riders are aplenty on the roads , so I don't believe this rule has been very effective in curbing riding without helmets.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 28th September 2017 at 20:51.
Old 3rd June 2019, 13:47   #37
BHPian

Re: No Helmet, No fuel in Srinagar. EDIT: Now Noida too

The government has once more shown its intelligence and decided to implement 'No helmet, no fuel' policy in Noida.

People are expert in bypassing such kind of 'rules' as can be seen in the news. Why does the government not take the simple solution to the problem: fine the helmet less riders.

Some of the innovative ideas of our bureaucracy do not stand the 'jugaad' tendency of the people.

No Helmet, No fuel in Srinagar. EDIT: Now Odisha and Kerala too-cropimage.png

Last edited by ampere : 3rd June 2019 at 13:48.
Old 8th December 2020, 09:08   #38
BHPian

No helmet, No petrol !!! No seat belt, No petrol !!!

Hoardings have been put up in Chennai petrol bunks. Hope this is taken seriously and not just a tick in the box.

Related news
https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...le33203190.ece

Last edited by vvivek85 : 8th December 2020 at 09:09. Reason: Typo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks