Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you think this campaign would be successful?
Yes 32 62.75%
No 13 25.49%
Maybe 6 11.76%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2011, 20:53   #1
Senior - BHPian

No Helmet, No fuel in Srinagar. EDIT: Now Odisha and Kerala too

No helmet no fuel for Srinagar two wheeler riders Lastupdate:- Thu, 9 Jun 2011 18:30:00 GMT GreaterKashmir.com

There was a report couple of days back on the national channels about Srinagar traffic officials declariing no fuel to be provided to the 2 wheeler riders riding without a helmet. Has this kind of enforcement done in other states too? Should this be done for all the states in India.

I found it a novel way to curb the 2 wheeler riding without helmets considering the fact that majority of the 2 wheeler accidents have resulted in death of the rider not wearing proper helmet.

However there are doubts how successful this campaign would be knowing the penchant of the Indian 2 wheeler riders not to obey any kind of diktat. How many bikers on T BHP do wear the helmets religiously even if the distance to be travelled is not much. I have posted a poll to find how many BHPians think this would be a successful campaign

Mods: If this subject has been discussed in other thread please merge.
Old 11th June 2011, 20:58   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: No Helmet, No fuel in Srinagar. EDIT: Now Odisha and Kerala too

Noida Petrol Pumps did a similar thing some months back. i do not know how long it lasted and how effective it was.
Old 11th June 2011, 21:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

Seriously, I won't be surprised if I spot 'helmet renting shops' in the proximity of the fuel station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Has this kind of enforcement done in other states too?
I remember reading an article somewhere on the web, that the 'NO helmet NO fuel' policy was also introduced in Farrukhabad (Uttar Pradesh) on April 11.

Please see this article for more information : No helmet no petrol in this Uttar Pradesh district.

Last edited by Klub Class : 11th June 2011 at 21:05.
Old 11th June 2011, 21:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Seriously, I won't be surprised if I spot 'helmet renting shops' in the proximity of the fuel station.

I remember reading an article somewhere on the web, that the 'NO helmet NO fuel' policy was also introduced in Farrukhabad (Uttar Pradesh) on April 11.

Please see this article for more information : No helmet no petrol in this Uttar Pradesh district.
So how successful was the campaign or was it one of those which literally went down the drain.

I was wondering if there was no people participation, why was it not? What is keeping the riders from using the helmets then?
Old 11th June 2011, 21:38   #5
BANNED

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 12th June 2011 at 20:24.
puneet_b is offline   Received Infraction
Old 12th June 2011, 16:22   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post

You will see shops like this near Army areas. In Pune you have such shops opposite the CME. This is because they have a strict rule for people entering the area without helmet. Such shops should be called illegal and closed down. When will people realise the importance of helmets and other safety gear?

For me, I NEVER ride without my helmet. There was a time when I lost my helmet and so did not ride till I bought a new one. Call me extreme, but I love my life and my family!
torquecurve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2011, 16:39   #7
BHPian

Same was NO PUC NO FUEL drive I think it was taken seriously for quite some time.Later it went phuss as most rules which affect revenue of business' do!! Most pumps also used it for keeping their puc business moving,but when they saw customers moving to another pump which doesn't take the puc rule seriously they quitely reverted back . One more thing about Srinagar helmets can be used to hide ones face which won't go so well with the law and order ensurers for whom traffic is a lesser concern !
m-hawk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2011, 18:40   #8
BHPian

Hi
Even if you give all the information regarding safety of wearing a helmet the public does not seem to pay heed and still lots of them take a chance to feel the wind on their face and some feel the pavement on their head. Granted you cant educate the idiots who are willing to pay money for buying the best bike but will not spend to safe guard them-self while driving. I really hope that chennai traffic police would implement this rule or do something better like cancel the licence for a short period to ensure they would never make this mistake again. Cheers.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2011, 18:59   #9

Although I support the Helmet and Seat-Belt Rule 100%, this is pure hogwash. You cant tell someone they cant be given fuel because they dont have a helmet. That is clearly a violation of consumer rights. Fuel pump owners and operators are not law enforcement agencies.
Old 12th June 2011, 19:06   #10
Team-BHP Support

That is a great initiative! Unless extreme measures are forced, we won't really follow rules.

Helmets for 2-wheelers and seatbelts for 4; just as mandatory as fuel.

I'm all for such a program!

I really appreciate how rigorously the helmet rule is followed and enforced in B'lore; it's time they went after seatbelts now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
You will see shops like this near Army areas. In Pune you have such shops opposite the CME.

For me, I NEVER ride without my helmet.
Are you referring to the one just after Harris bridge? I remember that. We once were travelling on a neighbour's 2-wheeler (our cars were out of town) to check out a kennel on the other side of the Academy and the guard wouldn't let go because we didn't have helmets. He promptly pointed to the shop "renting" helmets. What a business!

I wish there's the compulsory helmet and seatbelt rule in Pune. I just can't believe the kind of agitation and opposition Puneities resorted to the PMC tried to enforce the helmet rule way back in 2003 IIRC.

I think the young guys in Pune actually want to use helmets. My friends (and I) during our Junior College days swore by our helmets and were proud to wear them.

PS : I really hope this campaign is successful and encourages others cities/states to enforce the same.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 12th June 2011 at 19:07.
Old 12th June 2011, 22:13   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Are you referring to the one just after Harris bridge? .
Yes. The same place.

The Pune Mirror last year had run a series of Helmet awareness last year. Post that every accident they reported they also made sure that they included whether the rider was wearing a helmet or not. It actually helped and I did see a higher number of people wearing helmets. Probably this should be made mandatory.
Old 28th May 2016, 15:39   #12
BANNED

Odisha to implement 'no helmet-no fuel' rule

NO Helmet = NO Fuel

Quote:
The Odisha government on Friday asked police to take up the "no helmet-no fuel" initiative as a public movement and ensure its implementation in petrol outlets across the state as a road safety measure.

Meanwhile, the NHAI has identified 23 black spots on National Highways and 13 black spots on state roads. The state police have identified around 200 black spots in 26 districts bases on incidences of accidents and causalities during last three years, said an official.
SOURCE:
http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...ative/52477285
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 19:29   #13
BHPian

Kerala: No petrol for two-wheeler riders without helmet

Quote:
Thiruvananthapuram: Two-wheeler riders who don't wear helmets will not get petrol. The directive in this regard has been given by Transport Commissioner Tomin J Thachankary.

In the first phase, the order will be implemented in Kozhikode, Kochi, and Thiruvananthapuram corporations from August 1.
Read more at: http://english.mathrubhumi.com/news/...news-1.1167714
darklord is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 21:03   #14
BHPian

Re: Kerala: No petrol for two-wheeler riders without helmet

I wish they would take steps to stop people from all the jaywalking, which is a far more major issue of public safety.

Some idiot not wearing a helmet kills only himself/herself.

A jaywalker endangers everybody.
Old 29th June 2016, 21:32   #15
Team-BHP Support

Re: Kerala: No petrol for two-wheeler riders without helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
Some idiot not wearing a helmet kills only himself/herself.
Not if that helmet-less idiot crashes into your vehicle on road and drops dead. You could be booked for causing death by negligence (or worse), and all the legal procedural hassle it brings along. Something that could've ended with a few bruises/fractures and motor insurance claims could end in a fatality for one and enormous legal trouble for another, all just for not wearing a helmet.

It's not a matter of individual choice, a helmet-less rider can ruin plenty of lives other than his/her own.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 29th June 2016 at 21:36.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks