Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2012, 09:22   #1
BHPian

DO NOT clean motorcycle chain with bike running in 1st gear and on the main stand!

I have a Classic 500 and do minor repair jobs on my own. 4 days back I thought of cleaning my bike's chain with the bike on the main stand, running and in 1st gear. This way I have cleaned the chain a few times. I usually used a big folded cloth and used to hold the chain in my fist between the cloth, but sadly this time the cloth was a small one and it suddenly slipped and in less than a moment my fingers were in between the chain and rear sprocket.

Got operated by one of the best doctors in one of the best hospitals in my city. One fourth of the index finger of my right hand got separated and fell down in front of my eyes. The other two adjacent fingers got heavily crushed too. The first finger has been patched using skin from my arms and small rods have been put in all three.

I though that this type of accident must be very uncommon and I am one of the rear ones, but my doctor and other hospital staff told me that they have the same cases coming to them every month.

So motorcycle maniacs like me, should avoid being creative like me. Never clean the chain from the top and when the bike is running.

Good luck! Bye!

Last edited by GTO : 21st July 2014 at 15:01. Reason: Bold effect
iron.head is offline   (61) Thanks
Old 10th June 2012, 09:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Do not clean motorcycle chain with bike running in 1st gear and on the main stand

Ouch.

Since you have typed this post I hope that things are back to normal.
Right?
download2live is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2012, 09:53   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Do not clean motorcycle chain with bike running in 1st gear and on the main stand

@Iron.head - get well soon !

I hope this will not affect your ability to ride the bike, one you love so much.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2012, 09:54   #4
BHPian

Man thats scary !! I know everything is not fine right and its not right to ask but I hope they get better soon. Its always worth spending a few bucks and getting it done by a trained professional than risking your own self.

I pray things get back to normal and I am sure you are not going to risk yourself on anything like that, Ever Again !! Good Luck for the recovery
Fiest@DuraTec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2012, 10:00   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Ouch.

Since you have typed this post I hope that things are back to normal.
Right?
Painkillers are keeping the pain away! My left hand is punching the keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Iron.head - get well soon !

I hope this will not affect your ability to ride the bike, one you love so much.
Thank you condor! Bike riding soon after the plaster is removed!
Old 10th June 2012, 10:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

Felt sad to hear that. One of my friend had a similar injury not from a bike but from a chain conveyor.
Nice that you were attended to in a well equipped hospital with best of facilities. The healing may take a fortnight to a month in such cases.
Get well soon.Take care.
rajeev k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2012, 10:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

Iron head-that sounds really bad,get well soon,and be careful in future.
I usually do that,but while doing so i do not use a cloth,i use a spray like WD40 or Motul chain lube\Cleaner for this.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2012, 10:41   #8
BHPian

Iron.head, I wish you a speedy recovery, very sad to hear about the incident, I may have done what you did many times when I was younger, now when I look back, maybe I just was lucky that this never happened to me. Get well soon and hope everyone having a bike read this thread and are cautious in the future while cleaning their bike’s.
musicmanaman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2012, 10:49   #9
Team-BHP Support

Ouch. Seen this happen to a friend of mine. He was tightening the chain and the finger got caught between the sprocket and chain.

Painful. very very painful.

Wish you a speedy recovery.
bblost is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2012, 10:56   #10
Senior - BHPian

Even thinking about it is making me feel queasy.
Get well soon Iron.head, wish you a speedy recovery and hope you regain full movement and control over your fingers!
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2012, 13:20   #11
BHPian

Get well Soon buddy. Just thinking of it makes me feel sick in my stomach.

A better way to clean the chain is by using a loop of cloth where you have a contact patch of atleast 5-6 cms. Tie this loop to the rod above the chain put a binder clip to hold it in place. Does not take much time and you have a clean chain.

Also, before the chain is cleaned, you could spray on a bit of degreaser in very dilute form this helps to clear out the muck better. Then spray some chain lube.

I use this process for most of my DIY works on the bike.

Dont mean to sound patronizing but try keeping your body parts as far as possible from moving parts.
torquecurve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2012, 13:53   #12
BHPian

Hi Iron.head, I wish you heal quickly. Put the past behind; Don;t dwell on it, just be careful not to repeat this kind of things again ; I am sure you'll make rapid recovery and will be on the saddle soon again.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2012, 14:20   #13
Senior - BHPian

Damm.. thats unlucky! Get well soon buddy.
extreme_torque is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2012, 17:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

My god man! If i had caught my brother, non-existent son or even a dear friend, he would definitely got a real stinker from me. Now I have a tale to add to it.

I hope you recover well.
asr245 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2012, 18:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

OMG! I first thought this was about the cloth being sucked inside and causing damage to the bike. That would be preferable any day, to this. Get well soon.

My son avidly watches my every action on the bike and car, so I have to be extra careful lest he picks up wrong habits from me. Thanks for the tip, though I always use a spray.
Gansan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks