Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2012, 11:24   #31
BHPian

Re: Pictorial : Why you should wear a HELMET

Witnessed an accident on Friday evening in Pune. A regular techie returning home on his Apache motorcycle turns right from Prabhat Road signal onto Law College Road without looking both ways. Swift driven at speed approaches on Law College Road from biker's left. The moment the Swift reached the junction, I knew he wasn't going to brake. Hits the biker's left elbow, breaks his mirror and loses a wheelcap in the process. Biker knocks his head on Swift door and is tossed, thankfully not under the car.

After ensuring everything was alright with him, I sat him down for a chat with him. Turns out he decided to wear his helmet after stopping just before the signal to take a call (hey, atleast he stopped to take the call!). He looked at my helmet, armoured jacket and gloves. Then looked at his grazed palms and sore elbows, then back at me again. Enough said.

Cheers,
Rahul
voodoochild is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2012, 12:14   #32
BHPian

I am constantly amazed how I have survived my teens and early youth. I used to ride bikes, and many times would not wear a helmet, simply because I could not afford one initially. Then I got a hand-me-down helmet from an uncle. Then I purchased a new Studds, because the old one was stinky, did not fit right and was pretty banged up. Now I cannot ride without at least a helmet, gloves and proper boots.

I guess, in the beginning, we all think we are invincible, immortal. It takes a few knocks before reality sinks in. In my case, it was as simple as getting dirt in my eyes, and a secondary motivation was just carrying around a helmet in college to look, well, cool.

Now, 15 years later, my helmet's are categorized into
a. city ride helmet (SOL/LS2) (clear visors, slightly older, about 1yr old, phone number and blood group sticker)
b. longer ride helmet (SOL/NEXX) (expensive, clear and smoked visors, separate carrying case, usually newer than a year, phone number and blood group sticker)
c. A spare helmet, usually local make, like the studds ninja (for that very rare occasion when I have a pillion)

I am now saving up for an ARAI, hopefully by year end 2013. I can afford it, and more importantly, I want the best protection possible.

I have long ago stopped berating my friends/acquaintances who ride without a lid. Earlier I used to make it a point to get in their face about it. Now, I don't really care, because it is clear that they themselves do not care. I keep a helmet for about 2 years before replacing them, and give off my old ones to my mechanics for their use, as I usually take good care of them (no dropping, no scratches, clean insets).

I am now going to send this thread link to people I know that do not wear helmets. If they wise up, good for them. If not, God save them.

Thanks to the OP.
sriku is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2012, 21:34   #33
BHPian

Excellent buddy. You said it.

I lost an ex-colleague in a bike accident on Dec 1, 2012 when he was hit him from behind and then run over by the same bus. This happened in Bangalore. He was wearing a helmet but was unfortunate not to survive. Tragic death of an young man who got married just 9 months back

The bikers especially in Bangalore drive with no discipline. Hundreds of them literally swarm the road crisscrossing lanes without any signalling. They sneak in with that ubiquitous bike into the smallest possible gap available. I don't think most of them are aware of the concepts of a lane, blind spot, slower vehicles on the leftmost lane etc. Cab and auto drivers compete with those bikers for being the first among the lunatics.

1.4 billion people in the country and Government cares a damn too. Only the family of the victim suffers

Last edited by B103 : 19th December 2012 at 21:46.
B103 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 10:44   #34
BHPian

That is an excellent presentation.
I would like to reinforce the need for a helmet with a picture post an accident.

This is a considered a very minor injury, then imagine how bad can it get.

It is not only important to wear a helmet but wear the one which is relatively new and will do a good job at what it is supposed to and fits you well. Any deviation from the above is as good as not wearing one or even worse.

Please remove if inappropriate. Thanks

Note from Moderator : Please have a heart for other members of the forum before posting such a graphic image . Next time please use a link with a warning on the graphic nature of the image. Thanks

Last edited by mobike008 : 20th December 2012 at 15:05.
Old 20th December 2012, 10:58   #35
BHPian

The picture is too graphic man. Shouldn't there be some sort of a warning or message before it opens up.
I understand the reason why this was posted and I am all for it, but still.
Old 20th December 2012, 17:03   #36
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Special Thanks RK.

Coincidentaly I attended two sessions of Two wheeler safety programme - one by HeroHonda and another by a top Traffic officer.

As clearly said in the thread, Helmet is a must and NOT to be ignored even for shorter rides (I also do this). It is very sad that in Chennai wearing helmet and seat belts is NOT mandatory. (It is one's wish)

Overspeeding is the top most cause of two wheeler accidents and without helmet it surely becomes fatal.

Public awareness and strict implementation of rules would definitely push people to wear helmets.

My opinion is both riders (including pillion) should wear helmets.

The official speed limit for all Two wheelers in India is "40 Kms" + or - 5 KM.
Old 20th December 2012, 17:21   #37
Senior - BHPian

Thats a good slide set and it covers most of the topics and concerns.

One other way that helmets can save us is by shielding us from stones that are flicked inadvertently by passing vehicles. One such rebounding mini asteroid hit me near my temple (the part we all have on our heads, most of us at least!). The stone was at least 2 inches in diameter and I had no inkling this was headed my way till it hit me. I am sure that I would have at least passed out if not away if my helmet were not in place.
All I want to say is please dont think that a helmet will save you only if you fall down. It can save you even when you are driving.

Also, would like to state the importance of getting a full helmet as against those open face ones. There is a chance that the jaw would be hit badly in an accident if wearing an open face helmet.

Someone already mentioned this, but its important to ensure the helmet is strapped
Old 20th December 2012, 17:36   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK
It is very sad that in Chennai wearing helmet and seat belts is NOT mandatory.
Both these are mandated and enforced in Chennai, atleast the cops fine people without helmets (belt enforcement might not be as strict, but then they usually never stop cars anyway). This enforcement is why you will see atleast 75% wearing helmets. It used to be close to 95%, till some politicians diluted the ruling by issuing silly statements like "we dont want to inconvenience people, hence are exempting pillion-riders from using helmet", "we don't want to see the cops harassing people in the name of the law" etc.
Old 20th December 2012, 19:41   #39
BHPian

"Use your head, wear a helmet" - On a signboard put up by the traffic police, at DMS-Teynampet traffic signal, Mount Road, Madras.

Have noticed that sometimes the spouse, riding pillion and sitting sideways (Indian style), holds the husband's helmet on her lap as if it were a baby. This is usually for emergency purposes., i.e., if a traffic cop is seen at a distance, it is the duty of the pillion to put the helmet on the rider's head, to avoid getting pulled over and challaned. If there is no pillion, the helmet sits conveniently on the petrol tank. In some cases, the helmet is seen hanging from a lock, on the rear end of the bike. Appalling!

In many cases where the motorcyclist is not wearing a helmet, you will notice that there are no rear view mirrors either. These I presume are removed (completely) for 'aesthetic reasons', by some overconfident youth. Thus, a double whammy!

Helmet is considered by most as an inconvenience! I have always professed the multiple benefits that a helmet can offer, other than just protection from impact. Most have been highlighted in the presentation (dust, insects, heat etc,.). To add, some helmets help to muffle and drown out the incessant honking. This will reduce hearing damage and overall help the rider concentrate better on driving, thereby reducing the chance of an irrirated maneouvre. By wearing a helmet, one can feel protected and less tired while on a strenuous two wheeler ride through all the cacophony and confusion of our city roads!

It is indeed a room (for your head) with a view. One should not overlook the psychological benefits. A helmet, while protecting the head and the majority of the five senses housed in it, helps preserve a calmer state of mind. It can therefore be surmised that a helmet is indeed a convenience!

- Abhishek.

Last edited by satanic_dude : 20th December 2012 at 20:09.
satanic_dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 10:30   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingForIndia View Post
The picture is too graphic man. Shouldn't there be some sort of a warning or message before it opens up.
I understand the reason why this was posted and I am all for it, but still.
I am sorry, did not realize the pictures impact. It was more like a warning image like the one's on a cigarette box.
Thanks mod for editing.
Some means of positive or negative reinforcement is required to get the not so serious about using a helmet people change.

Its a common notion of all my patients that they are invincible to anything when they are moving around few km radius of their house.
Its my inference in all these years, most of the accident people suffer happens just few Km near their house.

Helmet should be made a part of the bike.

Law must be made to provide a helmet when you buy a Bike.

Ride safe people. Helmets have expiry.
Visaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 12:00   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Coincidentaly I attended two sessions of Two wheeler safety programme - one by HeroHonda. The official speed limit for all Two wheelers in India is "40 Kms" + or - 5 KM.
Hello RGK,

I recently attended the session on Two Wheeler Safety Program by Hero Motocrop & was surprised to know that official speed limit for all Two wheelers in India is 40 Kms + or - 5 KM.

The program presenter also informed that safe speed for any two wheeler us 50 KMPH, thats it, nothing more. But then I am surprised to see that same company manufacturs bikes that are generally driven at 70 - 80 KMPH.

But that session was a eye opener & I am definitely a safer bike rider now. Also I now generally wear helmet, even during short trip like dropping my daughter to school.

This brings up another issue - children on two wheelers. Much is said with regards helmets for rider & co-passenger, but what about children? We normally see one (many times even two) child along with parents on two wheelers. How to ensure that children are safe on two wheelers?

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 13:21   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
How to ensure that children are safe on two wheelers?
Simple answer: don't take them on a two wheeler! But that would be impractical, not everyone has the luxury of a car at their disposal to ferry kids. I guess that riding extra carefully when you have a child with you is probably the only thing I can think of in such a case.

We've had some great suggestions on how to make it safer for two wheelers, I can think of another one: an efficient public transport system.

The reason Bangalore has such a high number of two-wheelers is simply because there is no efficient public transport system in place. The buses are crowded and unreliable, and the less said about the autos, the better. No everyone can afford a car, and even if they can, parking and slow-moving traffic is always an issue, so a two-wheeler is still the most efficient way to get to work on time. Can't wait for the Metro to start operating with full city coverage, I'm sure the number of two-wheeler fatalities will go down after that.
Old 21st December 2012, 14:04   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
The reason Bangalore has such a high number of two-wheelers is simply because there is no efficient public transport system in place...
With all due respect, I really beg to differ! It can be said about Pune maybe, but Bangalore IMO has one of the most well-connected and extensive public transport (only buses I mean) systems I've seen. Ok, they may get crowded. But is there anyone here who says "please increase the number of buses on the road"? For the body-odour haters, there are Vajra bus routes. Atleast on routes that most well-to-do officegoers live/work.

Now while I do have my own motorcycle in Bangalore, I really prefer to use a bicycle/bus for most routine work. And I know for a fact that one can go almost anywhere in Bangalore by bus! Its just a matter of people trying not to be lazy, getting a bit out of their comfort zones.

I would say the large number of high-end cars with just one occupant at most times could be reduced if they could just actually use the public transport instead of complaining about it.
voodoochild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 15:53   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
With all due respect, I really beg to differ! It can be said about Pune maybe, but Bangalore IMO has one of the most well-connected and extensive public transport (only buses I mean) systems I've seen. I would say the large number of high-end cars with just one occupant at most times could be reduced if they could just actually use the public transport instead of complaining about it.
With greater respect, as someone who has been using BMTC since it was BTS in the 90s and has tried more than a few times to use the bus to get to work, my point was not about there not being bus coverage, but about having a "usable" bus service.

I've waited for more than half-an-hour at a time for the driver and conductor to finish their coffee and start the bus in the morning. I've waited at bus stops in the evening for more than one hour at a time for a bus home, but all those buses to the city center from my nearest bus stop in the morning seem to miraculously disappear in the evening. I've watched drivers and conductors fight among themselves to NOT take passengers from the MG Road Metro Station. For a week, I even changed 3 buses to cover a short distance of 5 km from the Byapanahalli Metro Station to my home, after BMTC kindly killed the Metro Feeder Bus Service; before finally calling it quits and going back to the bike.

One "can" certainly go anywhere in Bangalore by bus. But can one do it predictably, consistently and reliably day after day? Especially when one does not live in the more established parts of the city? Even with the well-connected Vajara routes, would one opt for a two hour bus commute in the morning over a 30-minute bike commute?

So, if one can still say that Bangalore has a usable bus service that will get them to work on time, then they either have the good fortune to live in a great and well-connected area in the city or they have understanding bosses and family who don't mind how late they get in or back home!

The point about single-passenger cars has been debated elsewhere, and I doubt it has relevance in this instance, as people who have the luxury of commuting like that are probably not going to change to public transport however good. I think the two-wheeler commuters like me will be more likely to switch to a "usable" form of public transport and thereby reduce the two-wheeler accident stats.

Last edited by am1m : 21st December 2012 at 16:01. Reason: Adding more info.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 23:24   #45
BHPian

Thanks a lot for this wonderful thread/presentation. I am regular biker and I know how people (read young friends) don't value the importance of wearing a helmet. May be some of them who read this and propagate the values can educate a few of those dumb heads.

I would like to add to all the valid points about the safety provided by the helmet, that helmet is helpful in rains when it doesn't pour down your head, also saves you from the chilling wind of the winters and saves you from the flying stones from the vehicle in front of you if the road is all gravel.

Nice thread!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks