Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2017, 11:30   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pictorial : Why you should wear a HELMET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Guy walks out alive after crashing his Activa into the rear of a state transport bus in Cochin, KL:

Attachment 1408563

Scary incident regardless. Might have been tailgating the bus.
What sort of bus is that?
It looks like the Activa ploughed straight into it's bodywork without facing any resistance.

Some years back I rear ended a BMTC bus with my 'well built' Polo. Not even a dent on the bus, and I was left with a Rs40K bill.
Old 15th October 2017, 16:46   #92
BHPian

Q. Why you should wear a helmet?
Ans. This is why:
I survived with 5 broken bones from the crash. The helmet did its job of protecting my head.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictorial : Why you should wear a HELMET-img_1810.jpg  

Pictorial : Why you should wear a HELMET-img_1811.jpg  

Pictorial : Why you should wear a HELMET-img_1812.jpg  

Pictorial : Why you should wear a HELMET-img_1724.jpg  

Pictorial : Why you should wear a HELMET-img_1728.jpg  

Pictorial : Why you should wear a HELMET-img_1729.jpg  

Pictorial : Why you should wear a HELMET-img_1936.jpg  

PratikPatel is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th October 2017, 21:34   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratikPatel View Post
Q. Why you should wear a helmet?
Ans. This is why:
I survived with 5 broken bones from the crash. The helmet did its job of protecting my head.
Wow! that looks scary. What happened? Hope you are alright now buddy! Ride safe.
Old 16th October 2017, 12:48   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subuiyer View Post
Many also say helmets muffle road sounds (read other larger, faster vehicles) which is critical in chaotic traffic typical in our country (I agree on this point based on my limited riding experience).
I wonder what helmet these guys are using, because short of a Shoei or Arai, no helmet muffles sound so much that you cant hear incoming vehicles. I also doubt people with shoei or arai helmets would be complaining about not hearing incoming vehicles.

The usual suspects, like Vega and Studds barely cut-off your Bike's own rattles let alone noise from other vehicles. Maybe people who complain about this are actually suffering from hearing losses due to not riding with helmets in peak traffic and since we as a general populace take pride in our ignorance, these people refuse to acknowledge that they require medical assistance.

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th October 2017 at 16:57. Reason: Fixing typo :)
ashwin1224 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 12:13   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

My wife's office has recently shifted and she's in a position to take a Volvo bus to work everyday. This is actually pretty convenient, as I can drop her to the bus stop and pick her up on the way to and back from work. The bus stop is about 2km from home and we usually take the bike, unless it looks like it will rain, then we take the car. Finding it a bit inconvenient to get her helmet along for that 2 km to and from the bus stop. I've had my share of spills on short distances within the city and know the importance of wearing a helmet for even short distances.

So the options are 2: Either she carries the helmet with her on the bus to office and back. Issues are the already big purse and laptop bag she already carries. Or I carry the helmet with me to office and back. Issue is that it's going to get really dirty on the way.

Is there something I'm missing? Some new fancy bag that has a helmet cover? Thinking about keeping the helmet with some friendly shopkeeper near the bus stop. Things like that.
Old 13th June 2019, 14:43   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
So the options are 2: Either she carries the helmet with her on the bus to office and back. Issues are the already big purse and laptop bag she already carries. Or I carry the helmet with me to office and back. Issue is that it's going to get really dirty on the way.

Is there something I'm missing? Some new fancy bag that has a helmet cover? Thinking about keeping the helmet with some friendly shopkeeper near the bus stop. Things like that.
You could get a helmet lock and secure her helmet on the bike itself. I've seen some bike have this lock around the front guard and/or on the rear grabrail.

If you have a scooter, then you can store her helmet in the helmet bin.
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2019, 14:51   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
You could get a helmet lock and secure her helmet on the bike itself.
Yeah, I have a helmet lock. But the issue is that the inside of the helmet gets very dusty and dirty when riding with the helmet locked on the bike. Am thinking of buying one of these 'helmet-carrying' backpacks:

http://www.cramster.in/Backpacks/LAP...d-2811051.html
Old 18th June 2019, 19:18   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Things like that.
How about getting a top box fixed?
R-Six is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 15:23   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
How about getting a top box fixed?
Hmmm, would work I guess, but would have to be a pretty big one, to accommodate a full-face helmet. Would be a bit awkward on my humble P180 which I use for the daily commute. Besides I never really liked top boxes, something permanently attached to the back of the bike and sticking out. Probably ok on an already 'elephantine' bike like a Bullet (bullet fans please don't jump on me, I own a bullet as well, with a small luggage rack attached behind ).

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Last edited by am1m : 20th June 2019 at 15:24.
Old 20th June 2019, 18:19   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Would be a bit awkward on my humble P180 which I use for the daily commute.
Our fellow Bhpian, ashwinprakas, has a similar set up on his P220. Here is an image I borrowed from one of his posts so that you get an idea of how it looks:

I'm sure, Ashwin can provide more details if you need any help.

Ride Safe,
R-Six
R-Six is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2019, 12:36   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Some new fancy bag that has a helmet cover? Thinking about keeping the helmet with some friendly shopkeeper near the bus stop. Things like that.
So update on this, had ordered the cramster bag with helmet holder from Amazon, delivery guys were showing their usual attitude and cancelled delivery without informing. And looks like that bag is not available anywhere else, including with Cramster themselves.

Worked out for the best, found a better and cheaper solution!

Am now using a small bungee net with plastic hooks to strap the helmet to the back seat once she gets off the bike and into the bus. That keeps the helmet completely secure without having anything permanent attached to the back of the bike for the short ride to my office and back to the bus stop to pick her up in the evening. Since the helmet is on the back seat and not sticking out, no dust gets in either. Only downside is the few minutes I have to spend securing the helmet after dropping her off at the bus, but worth it, now we both have our helmets on for even that short ride to/from the bus stop. Works well.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Last edited by am1m : 1st July 2019 at 12:39.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 19:40   #102
BHPian

While riders wear helmet, but its still risky to avoid wearing chin strap, good video showing importance of wearing chin strap -

Video by Cyberabad Traffic Police -

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks