Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2013, 11:07   #46
BHPian

Re: Woman on Scooty cheats death! Accident caught on CCTV

Lucky woman! on second thoughts, was it an unsuccessful attempt of suicide?
Old 5th March 2013, 11:20   #47
BHPian

Lucky woman! Was completely astonished when I saw this video in a News Channel on sunday. This should be an eye opener for all insane drivers (irrespective of the gender) who change lanes like a snake!
Old 5th March 2013, 11:24   #48
Senior - BHPian

Is that a 2 lane road or a 3 lane road?
If it is a 3 lane road, then we can say that the truck should have been in the middle lane. However, on a 2 lane road, the right lane is meant for right-turning traffic as well as straight going traffic. Similarly, left lane is meant for left-turning traffic as well as straight going traffic.

In any case, someone who needs to turn right needs to move to the right lane well before the junction. On standard roads, the dashed line ends and solid line begins a few tens of meters before the junction. But this is India :-(
rohanjf is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2013, 13:12   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Is that a 2 lane road or a 3 lane road?
If it is a 3 lane road, then we can say that the truck should have been in the middle lane. :-(
Exactly. If every driver do a small preplanning such accidents can be easily averted.

Fellow team mates who travel on Old Mumbai - Pune road can easily spot similar drivers.

Many drivers use entry points as exits and vice versa. It is really frustrating to see the struggling drivers who is trying to take out a swanky luxury sedan via such an entry point. How pathetic
Old 5th March 2013, 15:32   #50
BHPian

I too saw it a few days back on a news channel website. I firmly think it is completely the lady's fault. the truck driver would not have even seen her. I was quite aghast at the news reader saying negligent truck driver. It is really unfortunate that we generally tend to just blame the bigger vehicle for everything and the cops too charge you with rash and negligent driving irrespective of anything and then you are forced to go through the legal rigmarole. In other countries if on investigation the cops find you not at fault you are excused and won't have the legal hassle. i always drive with the the fear that if somebody comes under my car, due to no fault of mine, i still will have to through all the legal hassles. High time we have proper accident investigation. I am also thinking of fitting cameras in the front that it can record everything
Old 5th March 2013, 20:03   #51

It's kind of amusing how a lot of people are holding the truck driver responsible (to some extent) for being on the "wrong lane".

I wonder if nobody has seen two wheelers, cars, autos, and other stuff driving AROUND trucks, tankers, and other large vehicles when they're within the city. I witness it nearly every day, and these large vehicles will be forced to stay on and continue on whatever lane they are because there are a lot of small vehicles all around the truck.

If a motorcycle to the left side of the truck moves ahead, the truck will still not have a chance to move towards left (or right) even if he wants to, because another motorcycle or auto or a cow has already taken that place.

This woman survived (in this incident), but the video teaches a valuable lesson to us lesser mortals (in comparison with a 10 wheeler) that we should simply stay the hell away from such large vehicles and show them the respect they deserve.

Last edited by Kalashnikov : 5th March 2013 at 20:15.
Kalashnikov is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 09:37   #52
Senior - BHPian

Clean escape it what I would say - and this applies to both the drivers.

Even the traffic police is to be blamed for such instances; most of the time in Delhi the traffic policemen stand a few hundred meters away from the signal just to catch a driver who jumps the red light and let go whatever is happening at the signal. This case could be an exception where the traffic policeman was around and participated in the action (in whatever manner possible).

In Mumbai, in Kolkata I have seen police managing traffic, whereas in Delhi, most of the time the police is playing hide and seek to just catch offenders.

Why let the offence happen, I have not seen people jumping signals when policemen are on duty. Is their job only left to collect cash - either for the government or for their own pockets?
Old 6th March 2013, 09:46   #53
Senior - BHPian

Hope this is not a "creative" video that popped up on the internet...anybody from Nagpur can confirm that this accident actually happened?
Old 6th March 2013, 10:07   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Hope this is not a "creative" video that popped up on the internet...anybody from Nagpur can confirm that this accident actually happened?
Highly unlikely. The national television channels of repute are expected to carry out a basic due diligence before putting up these kinda videos on the public domain.
Old 7th March 2013, 13:19   #55
BHPian

Whatever was she thinking! Truck driver wouldn't have been able to see her at all. Funny thing is she seems to chasing the truck as soon as shes on her feet!
Old 7th March 2013, 15:59   #56
Senior - BHPian

This is how people drive 2-wheelers now and have taken for granted that they will not be punished by anybody, but death is the only punishment for such irresponsible people. Bangalore is again leading by example on this front.
Old 7th March 2013, 17:35   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
This is how people drive 2-wheelers now and have taken for granted that they will not be punished by anybody, but death is the only punishment for such irresponsible people. Bangalore is again leading by example on this front.
Absolutely, nobody has to punish drivers without common sense because they always will be one step ahead and sign their own death warrants. I recall a joke that sometimes like car manufacturers, god recalls some defective pieces of his. This is not to undermine lives lost due to the negligence of another party, but by some drivers themselves due to their absolute lack of thinking and the sense of superiority when strapped to the seats of their vehicles and riding at speeds which would put light at shame. I can see there are a minimum of three accidents, 4 murders and an umpteen number of robberies happening each day and the newspapers i read have them as stories. Murders/Robberies i can understand but the recent increase of accidents is something i am unable to come to terms with. I am not talking statistically, but rather through the few friends of mine who injured themselves due to someone else's stupidity.

One thing is, i wish to have these autos removed from the roads because at their current prices, i feel they are just being a hindrance. I just think that they place their brains at home near their pooja/devotion rooms inside jars for safekeeping. Explains about their driving manners on road now, doesn't it? I just want to ask a driver who drives real stupid whether he is a professional moron, or just a gifted amateur.

Last edited by Arch-Angel : 7th March 2013 at 17:45.
Old 7th March 2013, 18:15   #58
ZMG
BHPian

This just shows the traffic sense people in India are inculcating. Two wheeler riders must drive with extra caution as they are actually more prone to such incidents of getting crushed. I have this friend, who considers himself to be the best biker in the world and proudly turns back and smiles at me after every idiotic "stunt" he performs in bangalore traffic. I think I will stop travelling with him after seeing this video.
Old 7th March 2013, 19:31   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
If the video is "creative", sure it beats Hollywood special effects. The creator would be seen working for Cameroon, Spielberg et al.
Old 7th March 2013, 20:40   #60
BHPian

That is definitely the lady's fault and the truck driver cannot be blamed for this. Does lane discipline exist anywhere in our country and expecting a truck driver to stick to his lane, as he had to head straight is unfair and not justified. How many times do we stick to the wrong lane and instead head straight? If that lady had turned around, even for a second, this might not have happened in the first place.

No offence to women driver/riders. I believe this video has to be played to our sisters/wife/gf's, to help them understand the importance of safety and being alert on the road. Not that they are unaware but videos like these will help them be more attentive and focused.

I have seen multiple times, girls riding their Scooties/Activas, zipping through the city traffic. Worse are the one's from college, inspired by stupid ads (why should boyz have all the fun) trying to showcase their talents. Hope they dont learn the lesson the hard way. (sorry to have been this blunt)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks