Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2013, 12:56   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Stuff getting entangled in a bike's chain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Be extra careful while riding bikes with extra length of the jeans folded at the ends.
They do get caught in the footrests and can lead to a fall. I have fallen twice. Thankfully it usually happens when you are starting off or stopping. So chances of injury are less.
I have had similar experience many a times. But in my case the kick start lever used to enter my jeans, luckily I never fell. It used to happen when I was starting the bike so my left leg was also on the ground which saved me. My current bike doesn't have a kick starter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Just curious to know - if clutch is engaged - wouldn't the chain continue to roll on? (cos of the momentum of the bike?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Same question here Shubz. Hence the question mark.
I will have to see it myself whether engaging the clutch stops the movement of the chain and only the bike free wheels or it isn't so.

Or some one else can disabuse us with what actually happens.

-Bhargav
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.rai View Post
The chain would continue to roll-over due to inertia but with the clutch depressed; the engine would stop driving the chain and even if something gets entangled; the damage caused would be lesser or minimal as after a certain resistance the chain and the cogs would stop turning.
The chain moves as long as the wheel turns, even in neutral. Just try rotating your wheel when the bike is on the centre stand. In this case only brakes can save us but even so the time taken to stop the bike will be enough to cause a damage IMO.
Quote:
In about 30k kms of riding my bikes in the last 3 years; there was just one (touche) breakdown that I faced.

On the way back from Keylong, the dusting cloth (tucked under the seat) slipped, got sucked into the crank case and broke the chain! Imagine my reaction. After that incident, I am ok taking off my shirt to wipe my bike but never carry any loose items/ cloth.
. The shirt thing was very funny indeed.
On a serious note, try keeping the cloth near the instrument panel if you have a fairing. Else near the engine, under the carb. I use these places and haven't faced any issue till date in my 60k km approx of riding (touch wood).

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Dear Friends and experts , AFAIK even with the clutch in.. as long as the wheel turns, the chain too moves due to the rear sprocket. There is no one way ratchet mechanism in the rear sprocket of motorbikes as we see in bicycles. So when the wheel turns, the chain moves
regards adrian
+1 to that.
Old 13th May 2013, 15:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Stuff getting entangled in a bike's chain?

Quote:
The chain would continue to roll-over due to inertia but with the clutch depressed; the engine would stop driving the chain and even if something gets entangled; the damage caused would be lesser or minimal as after a certain resistance the chain and the cogs would stop turning.
Yeah, that was what I was trying to emphasize on. The only vehicle where the chain stops rolling is probably a bicycle (cos of the free-wheel)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks