Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2013, 01:28   #1
BHPian

New York: Road Rage / Accident between Range Rover & Bikers

Searched in forum before starting this thread. Could not find anything related where I can post this video. However still if it can be merged with other thread(s), please help me with that.

Came across this video on YouTube.

Appears like the Range Rover ran over the bikers out of fear. Still, what the guy did does not appear to be right.

Last edited by bblost : 1st October 2013 at 12:33. Reason: Embedded the video.
500ContyCruiser is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 01:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: New York: Road Rage / Accident between Range Rover & Bikers

Just now saw this video on facebook.
The biggest mistake here was neither Range Rover driver nor the bikers had informed the police. Firstly majority of the bikers were not in appropriate gear. They were cutting across lanes. But after the Range Rover driver hit one of the biker, it was his duty to stop and inform the cops which he did not. All he did to worsen was hit the other bikes and tried to run away. In fact he did that twice (hit and try to escape), which was totally wrong. The bikers were bound to be outraged, but this was not the way to react. They shouldn't have had damaged the rangie and try to hit the driver, just stopping the driver and informing the cops was enough. Now in short both the parties are at mistake.
Old 1st October 2013, 02:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

From what I saw,it appears that the white biker picked up a fight,braked to slow down the Range Rover and then got run over. Immediately afterwards, the bikers started surrounding him like a herd/pack would do (just like the autowallas in bangalore ). Not trying to defend either group here as both are at fault.

The Range rover should have probably pulled over and let the biker pack pass, for the safety of his 5 year old and family. Most of the comments on YouTube are in support of the Range Rover though.

From what I've seen true bikers ride with a lot more discipline, they're not scattered all over the road, like in the video. There is a lead-bike and the convoy simply follows, no lane cutting, abrupt speeding up etc.

EDIT: Also, assuming the SUV driver braked, I don't think he could've avoided hitting the biker. I don't think a 2 tonne+ SUV will stop that fast. Someone correct me if wrong.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 1st October 2013 at 02:23.
shashank.nk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 02:32   #4
BHPian

Some more details on the incident

http://www.businessinsider.com/biker...yc-2013-9?IR=T

Appear like the RR guy did inform 911 about the incident.
500ContyCruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 03:17   #5
BHPian

And I wouldn't call these jerks bikers, most of them are not even in a proper gear, riding erratically. I would support the RR guys, he obviously couldn't have dealt with this huge group by himself esp with his wife and kid on the truck.
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 09:44   #6
BHPian

Horrifying Video! The RR guy shouldnt have tried to escape after he ran over the first biker. He did back to back mistakes after doing the first one. I agree even the bikers are at fault here but the RR could have killed someone while trying to run away.
rahulsharma2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 11:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

I tend to sympathize with the range rover guy. From the beginning it was clear they were trying to surround him and pick up a fight. I have been in a few situations where a biker randomly starts shouting and showing the finger and trying to start a fight for no apparent reason. In my cases I just assumed it is racism but I'm not sure if these guys are on drugs or something, I mean not sure what's their problem, they just randomly show up and start yelling. I can't imagine being surrounded by a group of them.
Old 1st October 2013, 13:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

OMG!! This is such a horrifying video. Never excepted to see such a video from a place like NY. Surprised to note that so much drama failed to attract the attention of the Cops. What's even more amusing is that no arrests have been made in this regard, according the news report.

My sympathies to the RR guy.
Old 1st October 2013, 13:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

No fault of the poor RR guy - the bikers were looking to pick up a fight. There's no way a 3 ton Range Rover can stop quickly enough when a biker does a brake check. What the RR driver did was in panic and self defense.

This entire gang of bikers deserve to be put in jail for assault.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 1st October 2013 at 13:31.
Old 1st October 2013, 14:00   #10
BHPian

Seems to be a case of typical group mentality and from the video the RR guys seems to be at the receiving end of things. Thought such things only happen in India
Old 1st October 2013, 15:19   #11
Senior - BHPian

In a country like US, there can be a racist angle to this.

The identity of the RR driver is not being revealed. Is there something to hide?
Old 1st October 2013, 17:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

US or not, if I personally would have been in a similar situation where I have 50 bikers surrounding me with my wife and 2 yr old kid I will do the same what the RR guy did.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 17:13   #13
Team-BHP Support

Pretty clear from the video that the biker knew exactly where the RR was w.r.t. his bike (he's seen glancing at the car repeatedly between 0:18 - 0:25 on the video, it even looks like he was trying to taunt the driver before cutting across into his lane). Then he intentionally brake-tests the RR, which is nowhere near as nimble as the bike and gets into an accident.

I was reading the article about this incident on the CNN website, and it appears the RR driver stopped once he realized he's hit the bike, but the bikers smashed the RR's driver window with a helmet and slashed his tires. He panicked (who wouldn't, surrounded by hooligans looking for trouble, with a wife and kid inside the car?) and tried to drive away, hitting a few more bikers in the process.

Intimidated and hopelessly outnumbered, I'm not sure what else the guy could've done in the situation. Whether it was right or wrong (legally) is another debate altogether.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 17:21   #14
BHPian

The driver has gotten away this time. Were any biker dead or seriously injured he would have been in the docks for sure. Come to think of it, why are people assuming that Bikers cannot be family men and deserve to be driven over by a 2 ton vehicle?
Ford5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 17:26   #15
BHPian

Never expected this to happen in a country like USA where anybody would just call the cops if there is an accident and follow the law

This is typically what happens in India where people are out for blood

Anyone in place of the RR guy would have done the same because it's obvious from the video that the bikers were just waiting for an excuse to pick up a fight

I am surprised that there were no cops on the whole stretch where the bikers were chasing the car

Pretty surprising
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks