Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2014, 10:45   #31
BHPian

Re: Open Face vs. Full Face Helmets : How Safe are they?

A full face helmet is any day better over any other type of helmets, other than having maximum safety it also protect us from sun and pollution on city roads.
I feel naked if I start my bike without wearing a helmet Or should I put it as, I feel like a Knight/Solider without his Armour/Vest when I'm not wearing one.

Two wheelers are always unique and its how we ride them makes it dangerous or fun.
Lets gear up with right stuffs and enjoy the real thrill!
Old 15th January 2014, 11:25   #32
BHPian

In addition to the safety aspect IMO, Full face helmets inculcate better riding manners to the wearer in due time.

The rider uses RVM's, Indicators more (due to slightly lesser field of vision) which keeps his attention ahead instead of always craning his neck sideways !
mobius 1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 12:37   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Bud, its not a debate, those are facts.

Pray, but first cover some significant distance at speeds in an open face helmet and then, in a full face one and please share your experience.
Like I said Sheel, I am speaking from my experience here. Though I will admit I have never been a speed demon on a bike but neither a slug. This is perhaps reflected in my choice of bikes (Machismo, TBTS, Harley Iron). I like to cruise on my bike. On my old bullet this mean 60-70kmph max, on the TBTS 80-90 before the spongy front suspension takes away all sense of reassurance, and on my Iron I seldom cross 110-120kmph mark. Not because the bike is not mechanically capable but we should be attuned to Indian driving conditions.

It could be a personal thing but I was in a very bad crash on my Bullet and the car actually hit me from behind. It was twilight and I was checking the rwm and there was nothing in it. But within a few seconds I realized I was being dragged under a car and its engine was whining full throttle only millimeters above my head.

That day has since left a impression on my driving habits and I try to be as attentive about the potential dangers from behind as from ahead - what lies ahead one has a reasonable chance of spotting.

However this is my personal perspective on this.
BowMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 12:50   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowMan View Post
The first drawback in full face helmets is that they take away a lot of the aural awareness one gets from riding a helmet that does not cover ones ears. When I am driving my bike I not only use my eyes but by ears are also attentive to any sounds that approach me especially from the ream. This to me is a very important factor why I dislike helmets that cover too much.
This, I'm afraid, is a wrong notion. You wouldn't lose out on any necessary sounds in a full-face. In fact, it reduces the unnecessary noise (wind noise, honks, etc.) to a large extent, thereby protecting your ears from damage. In fact, whenever I ride, I use ear plugs beneath a full face: it doesn't cut out the outside noises totally but reduces it to an extent that my ears are protected. In fact, it also makes one a calmer rider because the muffled noises will make you less agitated/irritated.

Quote:
The second is comfort. All said and done a half face will be always lighter compared to a full face of same weight and that makes for much more comfortable wear all day long. Easier on your back.
Err, if they're of the same weight how would one feel lighter?
Anyway, the most I've ridden at a stretch is almost 24 hours and I can assure you that the full face helmet was nowhere a source of discomfort. By the way, when I say full face helmet, I'm assuming you understand that I'm referring to a snug fitting good helmet and not the cheap ones that roll around the rider's head causing more discomfort than good.

Quote:
This is the reason why I started off with wearing full face helmets 15 years ago but now almost always pick up my half face when i go for a ride.
Please give them full-face a try again. A lot has changed in the last 15 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobius 1 View Post
The rider uses RVM's, Indicators more (due to slightly lesser field of vision)
I beg to disagree with your last part. The field of vision in a full face vis-a-vis open face differs only when you want to look at the crotch area. And studies have shown a rider doesn't need to look there while riding.
dreamseller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 12:55   #35
Senior - BHPian

Another reason why you should JUST STOP wearing a open face helmet in India:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ine-death.html
parrys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 12:58   #36
Team-BHP Support

A picture tells a 1000 words.

My story:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post1868903
bblost is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 14:44   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by byomjeet View Post
Good thread really. Good suggestions. I became tired of advising one of my friends who was using a cricket helmet while riding his Pulsar. But, thankfully, when he bought a Bullet he bought a little more improved helmet which covers his upper pat of his skull only not even his full hair. The new helmet looks some thing like this:

Attachment 1190876

Nevertheless, using a full face helmet is the safest.
FFH or a modular/flip-up is any day more secure that the helmet (pictured above) that your friend has opted for. In fact what your friend has got is called a cap by Studds themselves as it is not ISI certified (cannot be as it does not fall in the ISI format) nor considered as a helmet by the modest Indian law.

I have had my shares of crash's & luckily survived all with minor bruising or just some scratches, but then I have been using a helmet since I first used a 2 wheeler at aged 16 ; been 19 years !

Attached are pictures of my modular/flip-up helmet that saved my jaw a few months back from a crash at speeds of around 30 Kmph. Just as bblost mentioned a picture tells a 1000 words!
Attached Thumbnails
Open Face vs. Full Face Helmets : How Safe are they?-crash1.jpg  

Open Face vs. Full Face Helmets : How Safe are they?-crash2.jpg  

HuseinZS is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 16:12   #38
Senior - BHPian

Great thread. I think Rehaan was actually looking to talk about the tin-can helmets that the Harley riders seem to be using these days.

I mean, in the US, the Harley riders are pretty notorious for showing the big-boy attitude - with black leathers and only a can for a helmet. But sad to see that most Harley riders here in India are doing the same. And also bad - the RE riders are following suit. I have seen the "Nazi" helmet being worn since it looks cool. My question always to them is - will your face look good after the accident?

Hope this creates some awareness for people who know the effects and choose to ignore it. For me that is the worst thing a human being can be!
naveenroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 16:19   #39
BHPian

Interesting article. I have been advocating to my friends and colleagues to use helmets in first place while riding.

Personally I use a full face helmet which is my best companion on all my rides.

Here is an interesting safety information on how to select helmets. Might be useful to the riding community!

Stay Safe - Wear Helmet every time you ride.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf helmet_CSI.pdf (1,004.3 KB, 696 views)
Srikanthan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 17:45   #40
BHPian

I agree cent percent with the usefulness of full-face helmets. In my bike-riding days I had two bad accidents. Both the times I was saved by the helmet. They had cracks and couldn't be used any more after the accidents. In both cases they were from STUDDS.

The chin impact also has a special relevance for me. In the second accident the chin area of my helmet hit the edge of the footpath while falling down. The helmet took most of the impact but rode up a little. As a result I got a deep cut in the chin. Thankfully no broken bones but the cut needed a stitch to mend it up.

Usually I carry that stitch mark like a battle scar from my riding days. The only time it rankles me is when I have to carefully shave over it.
catchjyoti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 18:53   #41
Senior - BHPian

Ideally our govt should ban these open helmets, half helmets, miner helmets etc for bike/two wheeler riding. Only helmet allowed must be the full faced one.
As it is our govt is capable of making and enforcing laws on the most personal of matters, and this issue frankly concerns with road safety and ever increasing road deaths.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 22:40   #42
BHPian

Back on this post: [My other view on page 2]

We are mostly assuming younger population, metro cities, and faster vehicles as we speak about this
But, there is the other group, the older people. My father, father in law, and my uncle, and their views:
All three of them wear a half faced one.
My father rides in Bangalore, and wears a half faced one with a visor.
The other two ride in Mysore, and My father in law wears a half faced helmet, with no trace of a pre existing visor.
My Uncle, wears a construction kind of helmet.

All three are extremely against the full faced theory.
They say, they cannot see anything, hear anything

How are their riding styles?
They are pretty slow, never cross beyond the 50 mark (My FIL's old Activa's accelerator would not even budge. It was only turning half a circle [])
They are pretty unaware of anything that is happening behind them, with or without the helmet
My FIL even completely turns OFF, and starts a discussion on some topic, while riding.
Honk at every given instance, sometimes even at squirrels.
They are unaware of their high beam is switched ON or OFF.
They expect one to honk at them as well.
Never slow down even at blind turnings, just honk and speed through.
And, all of them ride the Scooter version, where only a small half faced helmet fits. (And the boot has umpteen other things, tool kits, insurance papers, sunglasses, Coriander...)

I, was going too far, generalizing and, ridiculing them, but there are 60% of riders who are of this kind. Aged 60+, slow, and in need of some assistance.
Half faced helmets are best for them.

Sometimes, the riding style, the vehicle you ride, also might come in the way of one buying a full faced helmet. Not that I am pro Half faced. (Read my previous post)
Also, not to compete with the other posts which are pro half faced on this thread.

This was one of my sleepy thought that I wanted to share.
Happy Shankranti to you all
Old 16th January 2014, 01:44   #43
Senior - BHPian

Excellent. As much as people stare at us for wearing a good approved helmet or riding up all geared, it's imperative they know why and when.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 16th January 2014, 08:44   #44
BHPian

Talking of proper safe helmets, the international brands follow 'Dot' certifications where as our local brands like 'Vega, Studds, Steelbird' etc follow the ISI only. Not that theses are inferior but the local brands don't match up to these international brands and hence the vast gulf in pricing. Add to this the local cops not understanding the difference have fined a few of my friends for not using Indian ISI helmets as against the more expensive DOT certified international brands. The only Indian manufacturer making helpmates for the international (read European) market is Steelbird (inputs from my brother who runs his biking gear boutique) but under A-Style brand.
Old 16th January 2014, 18:30   #45
BHPian

Just to add onto this excellent thread, a full face helmet gets it strength from the "completed circle" made by the mouth piece going around and hence there are no open ends whereby the vast majority of the strength is lost as in case of open face helmets. Its akin to a convertible car and a normal one. The roof provides the maximum strength to the vehicle as the "loop" is completed.
car love is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks