Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2014, 16:22   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Open Face vs. Full Face Helmets : How Safe are they?

I guess a full-face helmet will offer superior protection from flying pebbles, debris etc. It's so common on our highways. Getting whacked by a stone kicked up via the truck in front has surely got to hurt.

To the metrosexuals, a full-face will also keep your skin better
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 17:14   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I guess a full-face helmet will offer superior protection from flying pebbles, debris etc.
Also controls the rider's protein intake, what with the zillions of insects and wasps desperately trying to make their way through the lid.

Jokes apart though, anything less than a full-face helmet (that includes all those modular, open-face, inverted plastic bowls trying to pass as lids, etc.) is seriously inadequate.

There is also this mentality in India to buy the cheapest lid available. I mean, I know it's your head and you have all the right to decide it's price, but how about asking your kith & kin for a second opinion? They might reckon your head is of a higher value than you think. Please get the best gear you can afford. Reason? As moderator N_Aditya's signature says, 'Cos gear is cheaper than hospital bills'.
dreamseller is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 17:42   #18
Team-BHP Support

Very interesting article Rehaan! I always wanted some data to prove this. Infact i got few stiches on chin and a cracked front tooth inspite of wearing a proper full faced helmet and having belted it up. Reason being the helmet was not really snug fit and moved a lil bit with the impact i took. Now imagine if i did not have a helmet or was wearing a half face? would have been looking at a major plastic surgery :(

Point being majority just don't get the importance of the "most important safety gear". Every time i see people wear those charlie chaplin helmets, i feel like giving them a tight slap.
Jaggu is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 17:53   #19
BHPian

Very interesting debate indeed!

It's an obvious fact to me that an armor that covers more skin will give more protection. This does not need years of riding experience to tell and a kid should be able to identify with this fact.

However, what I have learned from my riding experience is that there is equally strong reasons why despite knowing this fact I prefer half face helmets.

The first drawback in full face helmets is that they take away a lot of the aural awareness one gets from riding a helmet that does not cover ones ears. When I am driving my bike I not only use my eyes but by ears are also attentive to any sounds that approach me especially from the ream. This to me is a very important factor why I dislike helmets that cover too much.

The second is comfort. All said and done a half face will be always lighter compared to a full face of same weight and that makes for much more comfortable wear all day long. Easier on your back.

This is the reason why I started off with wearing full face helmets 15 years ago but now almost always pick up my half face when i go for a ride.
BowMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 18:20   #20
BHPian

Agree with you all,
Adding a few more advantages (I ride with my Father-in-law's open faced helmet when in Mysore, and on my LS2 for my Fz16)

Full face -
Keeps the noise out (The honks are atleast 10db lower)
Keeps the rain out
Keeps the wind out
Feels safer at higher speeds
Keeps the pollution out (to an extent)

Open faced -
Even with my aviator sunglasses, the wind somehow gets into your eyes, albeit at an angle. Looks stylish, but is more pain. Trust me
At speeds of around 60, I sense the helmet being blown away, and tend to hold my left hand over it to save it from flying away.
Does not keep the smoke out.

There are a few disadvantages, but the advantages outweigh them:
Slightly impaired visibility (Use the rear view mirrors instead)
Cannot fit into the glove box (A bike has no storage anyways)

Other complaints:
Weight? (You get used to it)
Cannot hear others honking at you (Guess, you are too slow, or not riding proper enough, that you are bing honked at)
Costlier? (Not a reason)
Hair loss? (Have you seen your father's marriage photo?)
vinya_jag is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 18:21   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowMan View Post

It's an obvious fact to me that an armor that covers more skin will give more protection. This does not need years of riding experience to tell and a kid should be able to identify with this fact.

However, what I have learned from my riding experience is that there is equally strong reasons why despite knowing this fact I prefer half face helmets.

The first drawback in full face helmets is that they take away a lot of the aural awareness one gets from riding a helmet that does not cover ones ears. When I am driving my bike I not only use my eyes but by ears are also attentive to any sounds that approach me especially from the ream. This to me is a very important factor why I dislike helmets that cover too much.

The second is comfort. All said and done a half face will be always lighter compared to a full face of same weight and that makes for much more comfortable wear all day long. Easier on your back.

This is the reason why I started off with wearing full face helmets 15 years ago but now almost always pick up my half face when i go for a ride.
Am afraid i have to disagree with you. The moment you go above 60, the wind noise is going to be very high and if you have a half face its bad for your ear drums. There is not much of difference between a half face helmet and full face helmet when it comes to the aural awareness. Its just in the mind.

I have a helmet that weighs 1.4 kgs and have had no problems with neck or back because of the helmet. And yeah i have done 900+ kms on a single day with it. And to top it all i had a 200g gopro cam on top of the helmet.

The half face just looks cooler because people can see you. It easier to speak using it.

It cannot help you in any of the following
  • Frontal collision
  • Cold days
  • Hot days
  • Wind noise
  • Insects
  • Dust
  • Pollution
  • Debris from the road
  • Adds extra fatigue on long tours because of the windblast on your face
Just another point of view.
JayKis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 18:34   #22
Senior - BHPian

I always wear a full face helmet because of 2 things - 1) I have an allergy of dust. That means if I am exposed to dust, then my nose gets blocked, and eyes start stinging and watering. 2) I have an allergy of cold. Which means that wind blowing in my face is trouble. Which means <same as pt #1>.

So I have no option, I have to wear a full face helmet always while driving else I cannot drive a two wheeler. But now that I am using a helmet ever since I started riding two wheelers, I frankly think a full face helmet is always good for you. I never liked the concept of an open face helmet; I always feel vulnerable without a full face helmet. Good thread, and nice inputs.
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 19:43   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Havent worn anything but a full face helmet till date, though I dont do much two wheeler riding. I somehow feel secure inside a full face lid and I recently brought a new branded helmet to replace the cheap one I got from Spar Hypermarket which did have an ISI mark but I was not confident. The new one fits better and just like wearing a seatbelt, it gives me a secure feeling. Though whichever brand it may be, those cap type helmets can offer only little protection, and that too in ideal conditions. In our roads, we can expect the most unexpected. Hence, though which bike it may be, a full face helmet will be a must.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 19:46   #24
BHPian

Full Face helmets all the way. I have personally experienced two accidents where the back of my head was saved just because the helmet took the entire impact and in another one my cheeks were saved from being ground till the jaw bone. This was way before the rules to wear helmet came into play (which according to me is a joke as I see soo many people without helmet nowadays and nobody cares). People just need to get it in their head that it is about their head.

I had a friend who had an accident on the highway with a biker who came in the opposite direction. Sadly the guy died and I really do feel sad for him but it was entirely his fault as it was a head injury, coming in opposite direction, no headlights but since he died my friend had to end up paying for damages. I sincerely do empathize for the kin of the dead but they really really need to understand safety is priority and if you compromise on it be willing to compromise anything including your life.
av8er is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 19:56   #25
BHPian

I got myself Ninja 3G (STUDDS make) helmet, so that I can lift off the chin section to get the fun of half helmet. After going through this post, I have decided to keep it locked always. Though I have to admit, I wanted some PR for myself initially riding the bike, while people glance at me ("the rider identity crisis"), I realise how stupid it was for me. I have started biking for past 3 weeks after a gap of 6 years, and this is a timely advice for me. I had a stupid dream riding the poor ceeber, hydrating mouth by chewing a gum with open face and folks glaring at me

35% should be enough to loose the 32 teeth, damage and disfigure the face. Thumbs up to the informative post.
devsoftech is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 20:14   #26
BHPian

Having bought a Modular Helmet recently (Studds Ninja), this article is making me regret that decision. Though i had my own doubts with regards to the safety provided by a retracable chin guard versus a fixed one, i went with the modular one on the assesment that the overall benefit should not be much different.

An issue i would like to pose for the forum is, it was mentioned by one of the members, that the proper location for the helment strap is across the chin, but in the case of the helment i brought, the graphic illustrations on the documentation that came with the helmet and even the way the strap is positioned the only proper way to ensure a good fit for the strap(and the helmet) is if it is worn under the chin and almost close to the corner of the adam's apple.

Can other members kindly provide their insight on this
Old 14th January 2014, 20:31   #27
Senior - BHPian

I used to wear half face helmet and used to be an advocate of wearing half face helmet over a full face helmet, till the day a friend had a fall at a traffic signal at very low speeds (around 20 kmph) and suffered major chin damage. That was an eye opener and I brought a full face helmet the very next day.

I have seen two people suffering serious injuries because the helmets where not strapped properly – both accidents happened in front of my eye and I could see the helmet flying away and the head hit the road, and it was not a pleasant sight at all.
It is really tough to make guys understand the importance of buying a proper fitting helmet and using the chin strap to make sure that the helmet do not move in case of an impact.
One of my ex colleague had this habit of not buckling the helmet strap even though we tried to reason with him many times. One day, we met his wife and I told her the story of the accidents I have seen and asked her to urge him to strap on – her words had the effect and he started putting the helmet strap. After few months, he had a fall and the impact was on the chin area – since the helmet was properly strapped in, he escaped without any bruises.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 20:38   #28
BHPian

Good thread really. Good suggestions. I became tired of advising one of my friends who was using a cricket helmet while riding his Pulsar. But, thankfully, when he bought a Bullet he bought a little more improved helmet which covers his upper pat of his skull only not even his full hair. The new helmet looks some thing like this:

Name:  0004662_studdsladiessportinghelmettroy.png
Views: 8241
Size:  137.1 KB

But, using a full face helmet for people like me who use spectacles is a difficult task. Every time they use the helmet they have to remove the specs then wear the helmet then wear the specs again. Earlier, when I was riding a bike regularly, I was facing lot of problem for this and I have spilt couple of my specs as they become bend or loose.

Nevertheless, using a full face helmet is the safest.
byomjeet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 23:27   #29

Good Debate,
I have noticed that most of us don't pay attention to how the helmet fits.
Most retail shops in Europe/USA, upon asking, will guide you to getting the proper
fit for the helmet. E.g.- After fastening the chin strap, the helmet should not
roll backwards or forwards or come off simply by applying force in different directions.
Lots of You tube videos are available to getting the fit right.

As Aditya mentioned, its easy for a helmet to lose its effectivity with
even an insignificant drop as most helmets have a structure designed to take the impact only once.
I try to be as careful as I can with where I place my helmet when not on my head.

I do however find it convenient to wear a half helmet for very short trips
esp with our weather in B'bay through most of the year.

Ride Safe!
Sandyboy101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 10:26   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowMan View Post
Bud, its not a debate, those are facts.

Quote:

Pray, but first cover some significant distance at speeds in an open face helmet and then, in a full face one and please share your experience.

On another note, as most have mentioned, make sure the helmet fits you snugly and try to opt for the D ring helmets rather than the clip ones, D rings are safer. Measure your head and opt for a helmet of that size. I am heavily built and always thought that a helmet of size L would fit, but was surprised to see size S fitting me. My head measured some 52-53 cms, can't recall the exact figure. Thanks to PRS for this, else I would have picked up a wrong size.

In a helmet, make sure, the visor is shatter proof and please carry visors for day/night riding as well.

And guys, if you can buy yourself an expensive brick (Note 3, iphone 5s etc) you can for sure buy a good lid. I have seen guys having phones worth 40k+ but the lid was pathetic.
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed