Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2014, 19:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Delhi: Helmets are now mandatory for women riders

Folks! Feels like the transport department and traffic police are putting up their best efforts to ensure the women in our city shall ride safe. The latest step in this regard is a welcome move by which helmets have become mandatory for the women riders too though the Sikh women are exempted from this rule.

Delhi: Helmets are now mandatory for women riders-helmet_woman_thinkstock_360x270.jpg

Quote:
The Delhi government today issued a notification making wearing of helmets mandatory for women with immediate effect. According to the earlier provision, it was optional for the women pillion rider to wear helmet.
Link: http://www.ndtv.com/article/cities/d...xempted-583403

Thanks.
ad3952n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 21:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Delhi: Helmets are now mandatory for women riders

Two questions
a) how will they ask women offenders to prove they belong to the Sikh community?
b) what about men ( of any denomination) does the law not apply to them?
joybhowmik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 21:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Two questions
a) how will they ask women offenders to prove they belong to the Sikh community?
b) what about men ( of any denomination) does the law not apply to them?
Very valid questions Joy, but I am really not aware as to how will they differentiate on a lady offender's religious ethnicity and that too of men as well. Lets see, I am sure there can be some reform in this respect later on.

Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 00:37   #4
BHPian

Welcome positive step towards road safety, though i don't understand why so late.

Sikh men have helmet issues due to their turbans. Do not understand the exemption for ladies. Religious grounds i guess.

Sikh ladies can be identified by some id card after being stopped.

My 2 cents, road safety is definitely something where all should be treated equally. I doubt the road/pavement/rock/accident will have such a religious leniency against head injuries.
P.S. is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 10:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
Welcome positive step towards road safety, though i don't understand why so late. Sikh men have helmet issues due to their turbans. Do not understand the exemption for ladies. Religious grounds i guess. road safety is definitely something where all should be treated equally.
Very true, this move got implemented a bit late and I have seen certain Sikh men having those strap-on helmets with a glass in front but for ladies the exemption is not quite understood. If a lady/girl rider is fined for riding without a helmet then will the traffic police not issue challan due to mentioned grounds?

Anyways, In a better way, this rule shall surely benefit our women and on a humorous note, What about their hair-styles now, which they always protected and didn't wear helmets to keep it intact?

Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 10:26   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
V-------on a humorous note, What about their hair-styles now, which they always protected and didn't wear helmets to keep it intact?
Well Akash, they should understand that there will be hairstyle if there will be the head Applicable to all.

However, beats me for reasoning that why Sikh women are exempted from putting on helmets?
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 11:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

Goodness, this is exact rerun of the last decade (or was it last millennium, I guess 1998?).
Exact same sequence of events.

Govt announces pillion ride should also wear helmets.
Sikh women protest based on religious grounds.
Sikh women exempted.
alpha1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 11:54   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Goodness, this is exact rerun of the last decade (or was it last millennium, I guess 1998?).
Exact same sequence of events.

Govt announces pillion ride should also wear helmets.
Sikh women protest based on religious grounds.
Sikh women exempted.
Thank God, at-least it is being thought of and be implemented.

However, sorry to put it very bluntly but only in this country - religion matters more than the laws/rules. I am sure every Sikh Man/Women needs safety - hence the helmets should be mandatory.

Do the life insurance and health insurance companies ask for religious background while deciding the risk categories? And wouldn't non-helmet riding be riskier? And add to that, India ranks among the highest rates for two wheeler injuries and death.

So, rather than trying to ask helmet companies come up with a solution, lets just take the easier way out
pratyush6 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 12:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

Folks! The Delhi traffic police has started to fine the women riders who did not wear helmets while riding as per a report from Business Standard.

Quote:
"We have started prosecuting woman riding pillion without helmet in the city. Besides, we will also run awareness program to educate general public about the new rule by giving advertisements in newspapers. I think most people are already aware of the development through media reports," said Special Commissioner of Police (Traffic) Muktesh Chander.
Link: http://www.business-standard.com/art...2900727_1.html

Thanks
ad3952n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 12:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

Maybe the govt should leave this to the people instead of giving in to various excuses.

Wouldn't everyone wear a helmet while facing fast bowlers? Wouldn't everyone wear helmet on a fighter plane or a race car?
Old 2nd September 2014, 12:22   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

They should just exempt everyone from wearing seatbelts and helmets.
Rather they should put a law in place saying that if you have an accident while not wearing the above, you are liable for ALL damages.
If you are deaded, then no claims, no money. no liability for the other guy, or the insuring firm

You want be a JackA, do it on your own time, and with your own money.

This is completely ridiculous.I am not talking about sikh gents, please understand.

But are the rest of you all stupid?
For god's sake, i saw women arguing with cops the last time this came around. "Baal kahraab ho jaate hain" (Smiley for tearing at your head)
Seriously, you want your hair to looking good to hide the dent in your head where you were dropped as a child?

Whats to be done though. In Delhi atleast you will see some percentage of people wearing helmets. 10 metres from the border of delhi, helmets are used for serving cool drinks, i suppose. I don't see them on heads, so presumably they are serving their life's purpose, living the dream."I yearn a break from the monotony of sitting on top of heads, man."

With the speeds, and the roads, and the traffic sense as it is right now, unfortunately an accident nowadays usually ends up with people's brains being served on a hot plate of tar and concrete. I have driven without a helmet on occasion, more than a decade ago, and have gotten away with just bruises, but once was enough to wear helmets for the rest of riding time for the next few years. You dont get that sort of second chance nowadays.
Please educate the ones you know.

Last edited by mayankk : 2nd September 2014 at 12:37.
mayankk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 12:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Maybe the govt should leave this to the people ....Wouldn't everyone wear a helmet while facing fast bowlers? Wouldn't everyone wear helmet on a fighter plane or a race car?
I beg to differ, a regular scenario can't be compared to a one-off. In our day-to-day driving/ riding no one comes driving in a race-car or jet plane. The riders in general, if had the culture of being safe on road then there was no need of coming up with such norms and then there would have been less casualties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Rather they should put a law in place saying that if you have an accident while not wearing the above, you are liable for ALL damages.

You want be a JackA, do it on your own time, and with your own money.
I totally stand by you on this bhai. I am unable to understand as to why the police has been so lenient earlier over women riders without a helmet? Here is a link to a related incident on our forum: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ng-helmet.html

Thanks

Last edited by ad3952n : 2nd September 2014 at 12:37. Reason: punctuation
Old 2nd September 2014, 12:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
I beg to differ, a regular scenario can't be compared to a one-off. In our day-to-day driving/ riding no one comes driving in a race-car or jet plane. The riders in general, if had the culture of being safe on road then there was no need of coming up with such norms and then there would have been less casualties.

Thanks
Just wanted to point to our stupidity in thinking that lower probability means lesser risk. Even if we dont drive race cars, there are lots of others who drive like one on public roads and at least we should protect our selves against such.
Old 2nd September 2014, 12:45   #14
Senior - BHPian

Was it ever said in the CMVA that women driving 2 wheelers were exempt from wearing the helmets. The rule says that any person driving the 2 wheeler vehicle needs to wear helmet mandatorily. Why this special drive now? It will be worthwhile to see how long the campaign runs successfully? As compared to men, women are far more stickler to rules n regulations, I am excluding college going gals here coz I have seen they are more brasher when it comes to driving and abusing traffic rules.

Bringing a religion to be considered for booking an offence is absolutely a bad move.
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 12:49   #15
BHPian

One thing that I have not been able to understand yet is - Why do people in our country have to be chased on like small kids?

One's own safety is one's own responsibility. Yet, I see people having a casual and careless attitude towards it.

Seat belts/ Helmets are for our own safety and people should really respect and value their own life rather than police chasing you and enforcing it on you for all little matters. We must understand that cops too have their own limitations. We as citizens need to follow the safety protocol.
JASMEET MATTOO is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks