Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2015, 13:40   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ideal cruising speed on a motorcycle?

The ideal cruising speed for any vehicle is one where you are in flow with the traffic, neither holding thing up behind you, neither constantly overtaking vehicles in front of you. Basically a speed where you move with the traffic, and not against it.

In my experience, that speed in India, most roads, is 80 kmph.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 14:21   #17
BHPian

The ideal cruising speed should be the speed from which you can STOP your machine from, without any fuss.

Stopping distances vary according to the brakes & tyres on your machine, as well as your confidence levels under emergency braking. Stopping distances will be considerably different from 100 kmph and 80 kmph with the same amount of brake force, which can be the difference between a fatality and a minor topple.

Last edited by Geo_Ipe : 13th July 2015 at 14:22.
Old 13th July 2015, 15:13   #18
Senior - BHPian

I remember on the old CI 500's, the sweet spot was quite sweet.

It was a rpm at which the bike felt and sounded so good that you would never want an uphill to ruin it.
The vibes were just perfect, the throttle input was minimal and it was around the speeds of 85kmph and I remember getting an efficiency of 35kmpl on one such long trip.

It is basically a feeling in which all parts of the bike including the rider are in sync and I used to do short rides just to feel that.

Coming to the ideal cruising speed, in my opinion should not be gained by information from others, but should felt by the rider and will happen the more he rides and becomes one with the bike.

Also, is there are pronounced ideal cruising speed that is felt on the new high revving bikes?

Last edited by tharian : 13th July 2015 at 15:42.
tharian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 15:27   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Coming to the ideal cruising speed, in my opinion should not be gained by information from others, but should felt by the rider and will happen the more he rides and becomes one with the bike.

Also, is there are pronounced ideal cruising speed that is felt on the new high revving bikes?
Very true. The ideal spot is felt and not read. You feel the bike is at ease and you are too in ease and in complete control at all times.

Yes same with the new gen machines. There is always the sweet spot that comes and you want to hover around that area. Not that vibes gets transmitted on other RPMs but the machine feels perfect at a small happy RPM range.
Old 13th July 2015, 15:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Yes, all bikes have that. The Duke 200 cruises around 30 kmph higher than a std 500. The Duke 390 around 20 more than that.

But a bike's ideal cruising speed is limited to the roads and the traffic one rides the bike in. Hence my earlier post.

Last edited by ebonho : 13th July 2015 at 15:32.
Old 13th July 2015, 21:43   #21
Senior - BHPian

To me if science serves me right the feeling of not running the bike hard yet having the confidence to stop it whenever you want defines a good cruising speed.

And to me that means maximum achievable speed at the most comfortable engine RPM.

Like a higher power bike like a FZ1, a speed that is comfortable would be pushing the bolts and nuts of a 500cc bike.

5000-6000 RPM is my ideal spot and whatever the engine can achieve at this RPM is my best cruising speed.

For a bullet i would make it even lower, around 4000 rpm may be.
Old 13th July 2015, 23:50   #22
Senior - BHPian

Technically, the word "cruising speed" for any vehicle means the one at which most miles are munched while expending the least amount of fuel. This may differ from one car / bike to another.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 11:38   #23
Senior - BHPian

I think cruising speed should be a factor of the following aspects
- Engine Capacity (cruising speed for a Discover will be very different than a CBR)
- Engine Gearing Ratios (People who have owned an Old CBZ and a Unicorn will understand what I am taling about)
- Braking effectiveness (all drum brakes bikes must have a speed below 80 is what I feel)
- Type of road (Ghat vs Expressways)
- Last but not the least (Rider reflexes)
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 12:12   #24
BHPian

Dear octy9833,

Thanks for sharing your views. I have a question regarding running in period. As per running - in guideline below are the maximum speeds one should maintain on the NS/ AS till 1000 kms.

10 km/h - 1 st gear
18 km/h - 2nd gear
24km/h - 3rd gear
32 km/h - 4th gear
40 km/h - 5th gear
48 km/h - 6th gear

I have been cautious enough not to take the bike beyond 49 km/h ( 6th gear) and the bike has just done 290 kms till date.

However , in a city like Bangalore, it is near to impossible to stick religiously to the above mentioned maximum speeds on each gear before an up-shift.
I also feel that changing gears as per the guideline provided is leading to lugging the engine and hence just ensuring that I do not cross 48 - 50 km/h.

Please advise if you too followed the above mentioned run-in guideline?

Warm regards,

Sajeesh
SAJEESH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 12:30   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Yes, all bikes have that. The Duke 200 cruises around 30 kmph higher than a std 500. The Duke 390 around 20 more than that.

But a bike's ideal cruising speed is limited to the roads and the traffic one rides the bike in. Hence my earlier post.
The problem though is the wind blast. It's pronounced post 120kmph.. makes one fatigued even after 30 mins
Old 14th July 2015, 12:44   #26
BHPian

Half of the rated top speed of the bike, howsoever slow it may look on the expressways. +10 kph would not harm though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Technically, the word "cruising speed" for any vehicle means the one at which most miles are munched while expending the least amount of fuel. This may differ from one car / bike to another.
+1 to that sir.
Swapnil4585 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 12:47   #27
BANNED

Hi there.

If your objective is for a stress free ride for your bike's engine, may I suggest removing the stress from oneself first.

I would recommend putting some masking tape over your speedo, and just ride by feel. Instantaneous speed tells you nothing but distract you. You are much better off riding by time.

No matter how fast you ride, be sure to Ride Safe!!

Cheers
Old 14th July 2015, 12:49   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
The problem though is the wind blast. It's pronounced post 120kmph.. makes one fatigued even after 30 mins
I've never owned a faired bike, so I wouldn't know the difference. Wind blast for me is what riding a motorcycle is all about. Has never stopped me from wringing the throttle to as much as the bike will go. And a Duke and a Bullet both being nakeds, unfaired, the Dukes cause a lot less fatigue than the Bullet, even at significantly higher speeds.
Old 14th July 2015, 13:22   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The ideal cruising speed for any vehicle is one where you are in flow with the traffic, neither holding thing up behind you, neither constantly overtaking vehicles in front of you. Basically a speed where you move with the traffic, and not against it.

In my experience, that speed in India, most roads, is 80 kmph.
Easier said than done for most people though, which is why George Carlin might have said "“Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?”

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 14th July 2015, 13:38   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Easier said than done for most people though, which is why George Carlin might have said "“Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?”

Cheers,
Vikram
Yup, this was just a few experiments I have tried from time to time on the roads. Otherwise, its more the bike that dictates the speed than anything else. And like bikes, riders have optimal cruising speeds as well. Too slow and they go to sleep and/or make mistakes. Too fast and they also ride on the edge and could make mistakes.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed