Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2017, 21:17   #46
BHPian

Re: Guide: Buying, shipping and customs for imported riding gear

Just as a warning note to anyone importing anything. You are now being charged customs and GST. And by default the customs dept seems to just write down the max of 28% GST on everything. So I would be really careful unless you're willing to fight it out at the department.
bik1906 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2017, 08:44   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bik1906 View Post
Just as a warning note to anyone importing anything. You are now being charged customs and GST. And by default the customs dept seems to just write down the max of 28% GST on everything. So I would be really careful unless you're willing to fight it out at the department.
What do you mean ? Is the duty now 28% GST + 50% customs ?
Old 4th December 2017, 18:05   #48
BHPian

Yes on the duty calculation sheet which the postman brings there is a separate entry for the GST
Old 30th August 2021, 03:13   #49
BHPian

Bring Bike Parts Wheels, Tires, suspension from Abroad

Hi Guys,

Looking to start maintaining some toys in India. I am looking for information around the rules on bringing bike parts especially tires, may be rims and some other parts with me when I travel to India.

These parts would be strictly for personal bikes and would be in one bike quantity (for one bike and not for sale). What are rules around being able to bring these parts? Are they allowed? What kind of custom duty are we looking at? Do they give you a hard time at the airport?

I reside in US but will be spending month or two in India and planning to bring some parts.

Thank you for all your knowledge and help.
Gujarati is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 17:26   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bik1906 View Post
This kind of clarifies my doubt. Anyway, sharing my experience ordering from ebay.

I bought a keyboard on ebay.au on 30th of March and it arrived in India on the 3rd of Apr. I received a call from our postman, earlier in the day, asking for delivery confirmation and payment of 2,900 as customs duties and 100 as postal handling.

I was a bit baffled because PC keyboards don't attract duties, and hence I should have only been charged 18% IGST on a total of 10,000, that includes the item and shipping. A few points and questions:

• Is there no way to contest an incorrect levy of duties? (I don't intend to as the difference is just 1000)
  • The only logical conclusion to why I have been charged 2,900 seems to be a 28% GST on the assessed value
  • It is possible that they levied the correct GST of 18%, but mistook the invoice to be in USD as against AUD
  • The entire process was smooth and transparent. I was able to track the shipment at every stage
  • Although this is the first time I have been charged customs, I was prepared to do so as the item is sizeable. Something anyone who intends to import must be vary of

Last edited by pannags : 13th April 2022 at 17:31.
pannags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 12:02   #51
BHPian

Hello all,

I'm planning to buy a motocross helmet for my son who wants to start riding a bike. The helmet I've finalized is about 7000 INR and shipping is coming close to 2000 INR from the website dirtbikebitz dot com. What would be the customs duty I'm looking at if I go ahead with this purchase? And will it be delivered to my home and I pay the custom duty fees at my doorstep or do I have to go to some office and complete the process?

Thanks in advance!

P.S: If there is a place in India where I can buy a good quality helmet for kids, please suggest.
Old 7th November 2022, 19:32   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyGunner View Post
Hello all,

I'm planning to buy a motocross helmet for my son who wants to start riding a bike. The helmet I've finalized is about 7000 INR and shipping is coming close to 2000 INR from the website dirtbikebitz dot com. What would be the customs duty I'm looking at if I go ahead with this purchase? And will it be delivered to my home and I pay the custom duty fees at my doorstep or do I have to go to some office and complete the process?
The customs will be either 0%, 28% or 40%. If youre lucky, you will get the helmet without customs added on. The postman will door deliver the package. You need to pay him the customs amount, which will be written clearly on the paperwork. The postal service adds Rs 100 as a handling fee, over and above the customs duty. If you arent at home when the postman comes to deliver it, you will have to go and collect it from the post office.
neil.jericho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 12:14   #53
BHPian

Hello All,

I am traveling to Japan in Jan next year and plan to get an Arai rx7x which I will hand-carry back. What documents should we show here to Customs other than proof of purchase? And I am assuming I will not have to pay anything .

Also, are we eligible to get a VAT refund on this? Anyone who has experience with this maybe.

Thanks!

Aswin
Old 26th December 2022, 10:19   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswin93 View Post
Hello All,

I am traveling to Japan in Jan next year and plan to get an Arai rx7x which I will hand-carry back. What documents should we show here to Customs other than proof of purchase? And I am assuming I will not have to pay anything .

Also, are we eligible to get a VAT refund on this? Anyone who has experience
Hey Aswin, few bhp'ians wrote about this in last few posts on this thread. Hope it helps

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ride-...elmet-243.html (Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet)
camitesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2024, 18:58   #55
BHPian

Even after going through this thread numerous times, I turned a blind eye to the warning posts about hefty customs charges and went ahead to shop around.

Bought Airoh Valor helmet + pinlock visor from FC-Moto. Order placement, processing and shipping went like a breeze.

But the not-so-forgiving chaps at Bangalore customs slapped a 40% duty on the order making it an unwarranted adventure.

I will update about the helmet in the relevant thread once I get my hands on it.
Pferdestarke is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks