Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2015, 11:03   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Guide: Buying, shipping and customs for imported riding gear

A bit OT. Has anyone purchased tyres from abroad online. The prices at bike bandit are great.
Old 19th September 2015, 19:14   #17
BHPian

I guess this is a grey area because some obscure law states that all tyres sold in India need to be ISI certified (probably enacted due the minister of transport getting paid a healthy sum to protect a tyre manufacturers interest). Im not sure how this applies to tyres imported for personal use and if customs can quote this law to stop imports. I wouldnt take a risk unless someone else has gotten away with it.
Old 20th September 2015, 13:11   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bik1906 View Post
There isnt a list of documents. As I mentioned the parcel goes to the postal department for sorting, they decide based on the declaration which is stuck on the side of the parcel. The bill and your credit card statement is only required to be shown if the parcel is not released by customs.

Im really not sure how your seller billed you the whole amount as they will have to pay taxes on the billed amount in the country of origin (unless for example goods being sent abroad out of the country and then VAT does not apply by law like in Australia or the EU). I think you should name the website that you bought from so other people dont get ripped off as well.
Sorry for the delayed response. Somehow didn't get the notification.

The item was bought from EU, so the EU VAT is not applicable to us as mentioned by you. The same is mentioned in the invoice as well. The item was bought from fc-moto.de.

Anyway, to avoid further confusion, I have put up a pic of invoice.

One last query, the HS code that you mentioned, can I ask the seller to put that on the invoice?

Guide: Buying, shipping and customs for imported riding gear-invoice_4.jpg

Last edited by theredliner : 22nd September 2015 at 23:21.
Old 22nd September 2015, 07:44   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
the HS code that you mentioned, can I ask the seller to put that on the invoice?
The HS code is mainly so that calculation of taxes is straight forward across countries. Most often the resellers will not be aware of the code unless they are exporting in large volumes.
The main thing is that it would be wise to add a note to the seller to declare the value on the outside of the parcel. The guys at the post decide whether to forward to customs based on this. They are not going to open the parcel at post to check for the invoice inside as they have a huge amount of parcels to deliver (walk into the foreign post office in any metro city and you'll see what I mean).

Last edited by ampere : 22nd September 2015 at 23:27. Reason: Removed attachment from the quoted post
bik1906 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 10:02   #20
Senior - BHPian

Ok, to answer my own question "Has anyone purchased tyres from abroad online?" I went through the bike bandit website and put two tyres and brake lines in my shopping cart. When I went to check out, a warning popped up under the tyres "import of tyres are not allowed into your country". Sad.
goandude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 15:51   #21
BHPian

I guess this is why online stores like sbkstore charge such a bomb for the tyres they sell. They are probably paying off customs officials to import it.
Old 23rd September 2015, 17:11   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I use iccworld...Edit: great minds think alike aargee
We belong to the same clan & hence we think alike. We've been there, done that & our suggestions comes out of experience, not hearsay

Sorry for the delayed post as I'm checking this thread only now

Quote:
I guess this is why online stores like sbkstore charge such a bomb for the tyres they sell. They are probably paying off customs officials to import it.
Sir, they also want to survive, they add their profits as well by buying it at lower cost & bulk shipping & some even save on tax.

Last edited by aargee : 23rd September 2015 at 17:12.
Old 24th September 2015, 10:03   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hi I wanted t purchase these osram h7 65 watt bulbs for my ninja http://www.amazon.com/Osram-Sylvania...+h7+bulbs+65+w . I found them on various websites, all foreign, and though I have an international SBI debit card, I could not pay for them. The error message was that my card could not be verified. So after a bit of googling I found that foreign websites do not accept Indian cards as the Indian cards have another level of security called "verified by visa" and something similar for master cards. Thus Indian cards of some banks like mine cannot be used for online purchase. Any suggestions of how i could get around this? Besides getting a new card.
Old 24th September 2015, 14:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Hi I wanted...Any suggestions of how i could get around this? Besides getting a new card.
Paypal? That specific model of 65W seems to be banned one; tried with GEB & got the result "Items of this category cannot be shipped to India"

You may probably have to settle with 55W
Old 25th September 2015, 09:47   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Paypal? That specific model of 65W seems to be banned one; tried with GEB & got the result "Items of this category cannot be shipped to India"

You may probably have to settle with 55W
Aargee, I have tried paypal, aliexpress, ebay and amazon.com where it was available. I couldn't get to the delivery part as I could not pay for the item. So thanks for the input. 55 W H7 bulbs are available here. I wanted a brighter illumination and the 10 W increase would not mess with the electrics.
Old 25th September 2015, 10:40   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Hi I wanted t purchase these osram h7 65 watt bulbs for my ninja http://www.amazon.com/Osram-Sylvania...+h7+bulbs+65+w . I found them on various websites, all foreign, and though I have an international SBI debit card, I could not pay for them. The error message was that my card could not be verified. So after a bit of googling I found that foreign websites do not accept Indian cards as the Indian cards have another level of security called "verified by visa" and something similar for master cards. Thus Indian cards of some banks like mine cannot be used for online purchase. Any suggestions of how i could get around this? Besides getting a new card.
Paypal has worked for me when I bought a jacket on www.motorcyclegear.com. They too have some basic verification for the card in which they charge USD1 and then reverse the charge. This ensures that the card is genuine and that international transactions can be made. The advantage with Paypal is that the transaction on the card is in INR as the conversion is done by Paypal and not by your card issuing bank.
Old 27th September 2015, 10:29   #27
Senior - BHPian

I tried with Paypal too but the error message read almost the same. What card did you use? Here is the list of Indian Debit and Credit cards that can be used on Pay pal and google wallet. https://www.techmesto.com/indian-deb...google-wallet/
And the reason why we cannot use certain Indian cards is here http://trak.in/tags/business/2013/03...ational-usage/
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2015, 17:11   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aargee, I have tried paypal, aliexpress, ebay and amazon.com where it was available. I couldn't get to the delivery part as I could not pay for the item. So thanks for the input. 55 W H7 bulbs are available here. I wanted a brighter illumination and the 10 W increase would not mess with the electrics.
sir, if I may suggest you a different method which will actually address your issue (or even better)

How about buying additional CREE LED lamp & getting it fitted?
- CREE twin 18W LED lights are very easy to setup, doesn't need a special circuit or wiring harness or additional electronics
- Has excellent output & I'm sure it does fabulous job than additional 10W
- 36W additional power means, it will not drain up the battery (like HID)
- Has a better throw output as the light from LED doesn't scatter away
- Amazon & eBay has huge selection
Old 21st November 2015, 11:26   #29
BHPian

Just wanted to share my buying experience. I ordered a Dainese Air Frazer Tex Pelle pant and a Forcefield Action Pro shorts from Motoin.De site. I got a 10 % discount using a coupon in their site and also the tax payable was deducted since it was an International Order. I ended up paying 332 EUR for my order including shipping. Shipping was a bit less compared to RevZilla. Couldn't use PayPal for international order and tried multiple times but the payment page didn't let me use PayPal. Had to use credit card directly and was a bit apprehensive at first but made the payment using it anyway.

Completed the order on Nov 2.
Package was shipped from Germany by MotoIn on Nov 4.
Reached Mumbai Foreign Post Office on Nov 14.
Sent to customs on Nov 14.
Cleared by customs and sent to Chennai Foreign Post Office on Nov 19.
Reached local post office yesterday Nov 20.
Postman called me and informed me and I collected it yesterday.

The best thing was I asked him if I had to pay any customs duty for this and I was pleasantly surprised by his response. Absolutely zero duty to be paid for the package.

18 days from order to delivery is good for an international shipment. Shipping charges were 22.9 EUR which is Rs.1654 approximately which was much less than most international sites. Turned out to be a good experience for me. Will not hesitate to order from MotoIn again.

Good discounts of the gear + 10% discount using a coupon + Less shipping charges + Zero customs on my current order = One very happy customer
whencut86 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 18:37   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Ever since I got into biking a couple of years ago I have been shocked at the prices that people in this country pay for decent gear.....
Great thread, although I saw it pretty late. Anyhow, would appreciate if you could share first hand experience on brick-n-mortar stores that you might have encountered in Singapore or Australia, since you had brought them up in the opening post. I went to Regina once, came back a tad disappointed; too cold a response to customers.

Most Viewed