Team-BHP - Government makes ABS & CBS on bikes mandatory
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Ride Safe (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ride-safe/)
-   -   Government makes ABS & CBS on bikes mandatory (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ride-safe/168388-government-makes-abs-cbs-bikes-mandatory-4.html)

As per the news in Financial Express, Government has made 'ABS' mandatory for all new launches of two-wheelers (with engine capacity of 125cc and above) starting 1st of April 2018. All existing models on sale by automakers will need to comply with this norm by April 2019.

Two-wheelers with engine capacity less than 125 CC are being forced to have CBS (Combined Braking System) at least (if not ABS) in the same timeline as above.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/mumba...4FWHEp90K.html

Quote:

According to the Government of India mandate, all new two-wheelers with an engine displacement of 125cc and above essentially need to have an ABS (Anti-Lock Braking System) starting April 2018. The word 'new' in this regard means all newly launched two-wheelers that have been released in the market on or after the said deadline. On the other hand, the already existing two-wheelers in their respective companies' product portfolio get an extension of one year and these need to come with an ABS starting April 2019. Now, the two-wheelers that have an engine displacement of less than 125cc will need to have a CBS (Combined Braking System) or an ABS on the said timelines only.

Interesting, hopefully this move should bring about a reduction in the number of two wheeler accidents, specially in the monsoon season. Expecting another spike in vehicle prices soon.

This is a known news from almost a year now. That's the reason there was a flurry of launches before April,2018 to beat this regulation for atleast an year. :Frustrati

Guess this thread had some discussion on this. Link

A small question.
Does the policy specify, what sort of ABS is mandatory?
Single Channel or Dual Channel?

As of today, the price difference between ABS and non-ABS versions is pretty steep at minimum Rs 8-10 thousand for single channels ones, and lots more for double channel versions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhishek46 (Post 4386778)
A small question.
Does the policy specify, what sort of ABS is mandatory?
Single Channel or Dual Channel?

As of today, the price difference between ABS and non-ABS versions is pretty steep at minimum Rs 8-10 thousand for single channels ones, and lots more for double channel versions.

Good question and my feeling is, that this is also going be milked to good effect.

Most will be a single channel ABS implementation and then after a few years, suddenly someone will break new ground with dual channel across the range. One can see the same happening with Airbags in Cars. It is ground breaking to expect 4 airbags as standard across the range in our market.

Regards
Bharath

Quote:

It is also mandatory for existing two-wheelers to retrofit ABS by March 2019.
Original article in DNA here

Seems like all >125cc two wheelers will have to get ABS by March 2019, irrespective of manufacturing date. Wouldn't retrofit of ABS be considered to be an 'illegal modification', such as a loud aftermarket exhaust? In any case, the government does not seem to have any mechanism in place to check if a vehicle has ABS or not. It would surely lead to riders being fined for not retrofitting ABS, and the ones who do get it retrofitted being fined for illegal modification! Adding to the whole tangle is the following:

Quote:

People do not have to get their vehicles retrofitted with this safety equipment and it is neither advisable to do so as it falls under the section of tampering with the original fit of the vehicle, which can make the insurance contract null and void
Original article in Times of India here

Tis confusion!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shumi_21 (Post 4391630)
Original article in DNA here

Seems like all >125cc two wheelers will have to get ABS by March 2019, irrespective of manufacturing date.

Original article in Times of India here

Tis confusion!!

There is absolutely no need for confusion. No retro-fitment is required. It is not advisable either.

This has been explained in the past in similar threads. The DNA article is wrong. TOI article is right. I work on Motorcycle ABS development. Trust me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bharath79 (Post 4386817)
Good question and my feeling is, that this is also going be milked to good effect.

Most will be a single channel ABS implementation and then after a few years, suddenly someone will break new ground with dual channel across the range. One can see the same happening with Airbags in Cars. It is ground breaking to expect 4 airbags as standard across the range in our market.

Regards
Bharath

But, for example, a KTM Duke 250 which costs > 2 Lakhs may get a Dual Channel ABS, but a FZ16 will get a single channel ABS.

I assume there won't be a huge difference in the manufacturing costs b/w a Dual & Single channel ABS. Max would be a 5K or a 7K difference, which is not a big deal for bikes above 2 Lakhs, right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mithun (Post 4425705)
But, for example, a KTM Duke 250 which costs > 2 Lakhs may get a Dual Channel ABS, but a FZ16 will get a single channel ABS.

I assume there won't be a huge difference in the manufacturing costs b/w a Dual & Single channel ABS. Max would be a 5K or a 7K difference, which is not a big deal for bikes above 2 Lakhs, right?

I just hope you are right!!! But our manufacturers take us for granted. I was refering to bikes such as FZ25 and was hoping they will get dual channel ABS. But no surprises if it ends up with single channel just to save that 5-7 K.

TVS hesitates to give us FI and ABS on the same bike in 200 RTR.(I am not sure if pricing is the reason!!!). To their credit, they provide slipper clutch on this bike.

Honda CBR 250 gives us all these features except slipper clutch and the price is > 2 Lakhs. Many call it overpriced, a tag that others may want to avoid.

Dominar gives all of these, including slipper clutch, at less than 2 Lakhs and others cannot match it. They probably have their reasons for the same.

The more our markets are seen to be maturing the more they remain the same.

All this discussion, from my end, is limited to 250cc bikes priced at around 1.25 - 2 Lakhs.

Regards
Bharath

We had discussed this as a concept on teambhp, much before Honda could launch this on their Activa :)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...otorbikes.html

The change takes effect from today.

As per the norms, all new two-wheelers with an engine displacement over 125cc will have to be equipped with ABS while models with engine displacement of 125cc or below will need to have compulsory fitment of combi-braking system (CBS).

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...m-today-412141

Though this rule has been mandated, there are still a few scooters that do not have a CBS yet. The most prominent being the TVS Ntorq.
I am looking at getting this for Mrs but am holding off till CBS is introduced on the Ntorq.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiren.mistry (Post 4577066)
Though this rule has been mandated, there are still a few scooters that do not have a CBS yet. The most prominent being the TVS Ntorq.
I am looking at getting this for Mrs but am holding off till CBS is introduced on the Ntorq.

An update: TVS Ntorq now comes with CBS. I went hunting for a scooter for my wife and test rode multiple options including the Ntorq with CBS. Finally it boiled down to the TVS Ntorq and Suzuki Access. Chose the Access as it is considerably lighter than the Ntorq.