Team-BHP - Kerala High Court: Helmet mandatory for Pillion
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Ride Safe (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ride-safe/)
-   -   Kerala High Court: Helmet mandatory for Pillion (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ride-safe/168580-kerala-high-court-helmet-mandatory-pillion.html)

Hello all,

I was among those who were very happy to hear that, Kerala high court made helmet mandatory for pillion riders too. The court lifted a government stay issued in 2003 in this. [Link]

But as far as the trolls and heated arguments going on FB and media about this rules makes me really disheartened.
It seems people in India (even the so called, educated ones) don’t value their life at all.

There are innumerable reasons they put forward not to use the helmets. Some seems downright silly

It’s really sad that our social media is full of EXPERTS on all subjects under the sky. And NONE has commented it as a great move. Or it is a great move toward the safety of the people rather than money making. I wonder, how one can say all these excuses and skip on the safety of his pillion (his/her closest ones at least). I think even if a helmet reduce the chance of fatal injuries by even 5%, It’s worth the money/inconvenience .

I used to show people who give me so many points against usage of helmet, these great threads on Team-bhp (here & here). Not that they will change overnight. But even it helps to improve the way they think towards safety, I feel it’s worth the effort

Dear Bhpians, what do you think, will you welcome this law if enforced in whole India, even our roads and infrastructure is bad? Or you will think it as a burden on common man?

Mods, if this thread finds needless or existing please delete/merge

I Welcome this law wholeheartedly... As a person handling road traffic accident cases on a daily basis, I can vouch that the pillion's fatality is always greater than the driver's. May be that the hit takes the pillion rider more unaware than the driver. Remember - how many cases have you read in news papers about the pillion ( often females) getting killed after a fall in gutter while the driver escapes scratch less . I cannot understand why people are not giving any value to themselves or their loved ones. This was a rule to be enforced decade back. Pity that even with rule present , court had to intervene for implementation . You can spend 40000 to 1 Lakh for a bike and not even 1000 for your head? Please remember that fractures of hand/ leg cause less morbidity than even a trivial head injury. Even a small head injury can cause severe morbidity while a serious one can destroy your career/ job/ life. Brain injury is the most difficult one to return to normal as the brain cells has no regenerative capacity.

I think it will be more effective if the Govt makes helmets optional (even for riders), but strictly imposes a rule that those involved in accidents while riding without helmets (even pillions) will not be able to claim any insurance or compensation. And maybe insurance companies should treat deaths while riding without helmets as "suicide" and deny life insurance payouts as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asish_VK (Post 3810424)
I was among those who were very happy to hear that, Kerala high court made helmet mandatory for pillion riders too.

Superb! Just one of the ways in which Kerala demonstrates why it's the most literate State of India. I remember Kerala had also made seatbelts for rear passengers mandatory (eventually revoked though).

Quote:

There are innumerable reasons they put forward not to use the helmets. Some seems downright silly
It's because of idiots who don't understand the obvious that we have a law & order system. It's the law's responsibility to enforce what's beneficial, when the public doesn't do it voluntarily.

In many cases, you can either please anyone OR make the right decision. Take your pick.

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarrySky (Post 3810559)
I think it will be more effective if the Govt makes helmets optional (even for riders), but strictly imposes a rule that those involved in accidents while riding without helmets (even pillions) will not be able to claim any insurance or compensation. And maybe insurance companies should treat deaths while riding without helmets as "suicide" and deny life insurance payouts as well.

Hahaha! Very innovative clap:.

The rarely implemented "helmet for pillion" rule is being enforced again. This time, it is only for south Kerala and is lead by South zone ADGP. Police checkpoints will have video cameras to record the traffic stops. There are no spot fines, it seems. All the helmet-less riders/pillions are given a notice to go to the nearest court/police station to pay the fine.

As I don't live in India, I am sure my thoughts will be different than many of the Indian people so, I expect others to disagree with me. Feel free to do so.

First off, I think that anyone who rides on a motorcycle or motorscooter should wear a helmet at all times. This includes people who are only going for a "short ride" down the local street.

I also accept governmental laws that protect people from harmful actions of others be they other people or industry.

Currently, the State I live in mandates helmet use for anyone riding a motorized 2 wheel vehicle if they are under the age of 18. (Under 18, a person is not considered to be an adult). People over the age of 18 may choose to use or not to wear a helmet.

I support this law. IMO, youngsters don't have the knowledge to make decisions about their own safety.

That said, I resent governments who take it upon themselves to mandate things that protect adult people from themselves.
Adults should, in my opinion, have the freedom to decide what they want to do and how big of a risk they want to take as long as it doesn't harm others.

As soon as a Government takes away peoples rights to make individual choices that effect only themselves, even if it is done for their own safety, it will never end.

Mandating how often and what you eat and drink, what you wear, how long you sleep and what cloths you wear (including helmets) can all be passed and enforced in the interest of personal safety.

Any time the government passes a law that removes your individual freedom to choose, it is another step towards a totalitarian state.

I'm ambivalent about adults not wearing a helmet and riding, because it's your own life you're putting in danger for the most part. But inviting someone else to sit pillion on your bike and not giving them a helmet to wear, that's being a [expletive deleted], because you're putting someone else's life in danger. And if something happens to them on your watch, that burden of regret will be on your shoulders for life. It's only live and let live if you're completely cognizant of all possible consequences and are willing to accept that risk/cost.

/justmytwopaisa