Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2018, 09:12   #121
Team-BHP Support

Re: Superbike crashes in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I'm really contemplating letting go of my road bike and only ride on track.
Go the ADV way, get anything like a Versys, Tiger, V-Storm and just cruise, explore places.

Of course, nothing beats the thrill of riding on track, so a dedicated track bike would be great for sure.

OT - Are you Manav btw?
Old 26th December 2018, 10:01   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Saw this in the news.
This is extremely sad news. However, I can't help but try to figure out rider's moves leading to the accident. Report indicates he was trying to overtake a container and hit a tempo coming from wrong side. Unless the tempo was being driven along the median, this looks like a case of overtaking from left and possibly using the shoulder lane as well. I have seen many riders on big bikes doing fast overtakes using shoulder lane while accelerating hard. Just a sight of that is scary.
ksameer1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 10:47   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
I have seen many riders on big bikes doing fast overtakes using shoulder lane while accelerating hard. Just a sight of that is scary.
#truestory

On the way back from Pune to Bangalore a year back, I was behind two trucks who were trying to overtake each other and having a gala time at it.

I decided to sneak through on the cycle lane on the left as neither truck seemed to win.

As I was midway AND accelerating hard (to complete the maneuvre as quickly as possible), our trucker on the left decides to pull over left at that very instant. I was about half way centered to the truck.

I get shouldered off the road with nary an inch to spare, god's grace a left on the service road opens up at that exact moment.

However, grace was a tiny bit shortlived, as I was heading straight into a ditch (space between service road and highway), and I was going too quick to be able to cut very far left and escape.

The brakes held however and grace returned and I stopped just ahead of the ditch. Else, my obituaries would have been written here instead.

It was 100% my mistake.

I never ever overtake from the left bicycle lane anymore. I rather slow down, enjoy the scenery and wait for father time to clear the road ahead.

Many folks I ride with still do it...I guess each person needs a tight rap and a lesson before they figure such things out.
Red Liner is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 10:25   #124
Senior - BHPian

One more, this time a Yamaha R1 https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/67263273.cms
The riders were supposedly riding fast and visibility was poor. The accident occured at Kolar Bangarpet road, bike after hitting the bus caught fire due to fuel/oil leakage.

Last edited by PrideRed : 27th December 2018 at 10:28.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2018, 14:47   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Go the ADV way, get anything like a Versys, Tiger, V-Storm and just cruise, explore places.

Of course, nothing beats the thrill of riding on track, so a dedicated track bike would be great for sure.

OT - Are you Manav btw?
I was thinking more of dirtbikes, even ADV's are big and heavy and need to be ridden on the road. I want to stay away from roads as much as I can. Track riding is a 10+ lakh a year hobby if you want to get into it properly, hopefully I should be doing more of that in the coming years. Yes I'm Manav

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
and hit a tempo coming from wrong side. Unless the tempo was being driven along the median, this looks like a case of overtaking from left and possibly using the shoulder lane as well.
I'm sorry to say thats what the reality is now, overtaking from left is commonplace because rightmost lane is usually occupied by slow moving traffic and middle lane (if it exists) usually has some truck or bus with rickshaws, motorcycles and all kinds of things occupying and many times stopping in the left lane. The shoulder is definitely a dangerous place to drive on because of the dust and other debris. I see this getting worse over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
One more, this time a Yamaha R1 https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/67263273.cms
The riders were supposedly riding fast and visibility was poor. The accident occured at Kolar Bangarpet road, bike after hitting the bus caught fire due to fuel/oil leakage.
Yes apparently a 21 year old with R1 perished in the crash. I received the images on whatsapp including a very disturbing one of the rider in his full gear on fire, not sharing that one here for obvious reasons. But want to use this chance to reiterate that riding gear will save your skin but cannot protect you against a impact or any crash where you hit something.

Superbike crashes in India-whatsapp-image-20181226-9.32.44-pm.jpeg

Superbike crashes in India-whatsapp-image-20181226-9.32.45-pm.jpeg

Name:  ezgif54401e16f74ac.gif
Views: 4922
Size:  2.32 MB
quickdraw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 12:34   #126
BHPian

Have received some pics and videos on WhatsApp about a recent crash involving TVS RR 310 and a car (not known which one yet). Not sharing the content here due to:

1) Too much horrifying pics and video of the bodies. One pic shows the arm of the biker cut off from his body and another video is showing car parts crossing the skull of a man.

2) Not yet 100% sure about the location, authenticity and timing of the same.

Reason for this post: Query about the same:

1) Has anyone got it?

2) Is that true and recent? If so, where was it? What is the current status?

3) What can be done to educate our next generation to not to indulge in such risks with no rewards what so ever but only and only pain for everyone on the road and off-the road (family)?
Old 7th March 2019, 12:52   #127

I am in favor of compulsory surperbike riding school certification before such bikes are delivered to the buyers.

Last edited by Nomad_Wind : 7th March 2019 at 13:12. Reason: Spelling mistake
Nomad_Wind is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 13:20   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad_Wind View Post
I am in favor of compulsory surperbike riding school certification before such bikes are delivered to the buyers.
Well that sounds what will work only and only in a place where strict ethics and laws are followed. Places like Western EU (excluding UK), Israel, etc.

Knowing India - how certifications are taken for granted, how easy are those to procure, etc., this is more about mental preparedness and acceptability that

1) Machines these days do not have limits but our roads and our riding skills do.
2) We are not only responsible for our own safety, but also of others who are using the same roads. One mistake puts life of many on the line on India's roads.

What shall we do to raise the ethical, and civic sense of drivers and also put a sense of responsibility towards others in their minds?
Old 7th March 2019, 13:25   #129

Agreed, but at least those who actually undergo the course, might turn out to be better riders.
Old 16th July 2019, 10:51   #130
Team-BHP Support

Happened last weekend in Bangalore -

Superbike crashes in India-img20190716wa0019.jpg

News report on the incident - https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/70220863.cms
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2019, 13:20   #131
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Happened last weekend in Bangalore -

News report on the incident - https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/70220863.cms
Tragic, I believe the bike was not even his, his helmet was not strapped properly but that was of no use considering the initial impact with a lamppost bent it severely. That takes some force!

Some friends say that he was speeding and overconfident as this was a familiar area. His wife was at home waiting to go out for dinner, next minute, an army of police folks were at the door to convey the sad news.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2019, 18:44   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Some friends say that he was speeding and overconfident as this was a familiar area. His wife was at home waiting to go out for dinner, next minute, an army of police folks were at the door to convey the sad news.
Felt extremely sad reading this, may he RIP and God give strength to the family to cope with the tragic loss.
There are way too many uncertainties on our roads - Cattle, potholes, stray dogs, badly designed roads, even idiot drivers and pedestrians.
It is very easy to get carried away with the rate at which these bikes gain speed.
So the rider error factor is also high with high capacity bikes.

I would consider myself a safe/ sedate rider, but I surprised myself when I rode a friend's Versys 650. I found myself doing risky maneuvers and overtakes which I would not have done, had I been on a smaller bike. But I soon was back to my senses after a few Kms.
ishan12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 14:23   #133
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Just read about a Hayabusa crash - RIP.

Full article

Quote:
A 31-year-old, on his way to a picnic with his friends, died after his bike skidded on the Mumbai–Vadodara Expressway on Sunday morning. According to the eyewitnesses, Pratik Vikram Kotian was speeding when the accident happened, police said.

Kotian met with his seven biker friends at McDonald's near Majivali in Vasai around 6 am. They then left for their destination, Hotel Ahura, at 6.30 am.

A little ahead, the seven friends got stuck in a traffic jam at Khaniwade Toll Plaza while Kotian went ahead. After passing the toll booth and riding about 400 metres, they saw Kotian's blue Suzuki Hayabusa bike crashed on the side of the road, while Kotian lay near the divider.
Superbike crashes in India-hayamumbai_d.jpg
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 14:41   #134
BHPian

As much as I think Superbikes are awesome, law should be passed so that they are allowed only on tracks. With our road conditions and no traffic rules enforcement I would say that even a speed limiter like the ones of HCVs should be enforced as that is all two-wheeler should be used for, city/short-distance commute.
Old 19th November 2019, 17:03   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just read about a Hayabusa crash - RIP.
Got the below picture of the same bike being towed away to the police station on whatsapp.

Superbike crashes in India-c53cd432027643dc9266d1c822083494.jpeg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks