Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2018, 14:49   #106
BHPian

Re: Superbike crashes in India

Terribly sad news. Pune-Mumbai old highway has some really dangerous speed breakers and all it takes is a moment to take life. May his soul rest in peace.

OT: Why does media have to highlight top-speed of the bike when it most certainly has no connection to the incident? The era of sensationalism has meant that even the least bit of dignity is carelessly tossed out of the window.
ksameer1234 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2018, 15:16   #107
Senior - BHPian

Re: 76-year-old biker dies after hitting unmarked hump on Pune highway

RIP Mr Aga

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I often wonder in anger an anguish about all the loss to personal property and life that occurs due to the pathetic state of our roadworks.... We should be able to sue the government for this but I am unsure and hoping people who understand or practice law can chime in here.
There are multiple cases reported from various cities and suburbs of late where speedbreakers pop up overnight. Most of them are built unscientifically and have no warning signs for riders/ drivers to slow down.

From what I remember seeing in the mainstream media, there have been some attempts to sue the civic authorities for shoddy work and lack of planning resulting in fatalities. However, I have never seen till date any ruling that brings heavy (or even reasonable) consequences to the perpetrators of such accidents. At least one example comes to mind where a biker lost his life due to a protruding manhole cover a couple of years ago in Pune. No idea what is the progress on that case.

There are just so many fatalities without any accountability for shoddy road work. The level of apathy is painful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
OT: Why does media have to highlight top-speed of the bike when it most certainly has no connection to the incident? The era of sensationalism has meant that even the least bit of dignity is carelessly tossed out of the window.
The media nowadays always likes to build in some judgement of their own while reporting. Completely against the generally accepted principles that journalism used to stand for. Forget dignity, there is no sensitivity. It is almost like the report is about the bike and the human being involved is just a passing note.

Last edited by selfdrive : 20th February 2018 at 15:20.
Old 20th February 2018, 15:56   #108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It saddens me to share this piece of news.
Knew I'd be seeing another post from you here.

While I'm sure it's no pleasure to update this thread, it does serve as a worthy reminder to all those reading as to just how dangerous our roads are, especially for 2-wheelers.

Another exceptional gentleman's life lost due to poor & negligent infrastructure.

Quote:
Pune-Mumbai old highway has some really dangerous speed breakers and all it takes is a moment to take life.
Actually it seems that speed breakers on National Highways are illegal - only rumble strips are allowed :
Govt. Order: No speed breakers on National Highways

In fact, a biker BHPian had 17 illegal speedbreakers removed from the Hyderabad - Goa route :
Raised a complaint with the Govt's PG Portal website

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th February 2018 at 16:14.
Old 20th February 2018, 16:10   #109
Senior - BHPian

An MV Agusta crashed with a Honda Activa. A 21-year-old girl along with her 13 years old brother was riding on this Activa. The Agusta motorcycle was brand new without RTO registration number.

Quote:
On December 21, Maitri Talati, a commerce stream student of Zen School, was returning home on her two-wheeler with her 13-year-old brother Dev riding pillion near Zydus Hospital in Anand town. After being knocked down by the biker identified as Kevin Patel, Maitri died on the spot while Dev suffered serious injuries. A group of 50 people including the deceased's parents submitted a memorandum to district collector and superintendent of police to act against the accused Kevin Patel. On Sunday too, over 2,000 people including students of the school in which Maitri studied took part in a rally demanding action by police.
New source:https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/62259268.cms

Motorcycle After crash.

Superbike crashes in India-agusta.jpg

Activa after Crash.

Superbike crashes in India-activa.jpg

Victim's father asking for justice via Twitter.

Superbike crashes in India-ds7eglevaaawufm.jpg

Last edited by SJM1214 : 20th February 2018 at 16:32.
SJM1214 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2018, 17:17   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Actually it seems that speed breakers on National Highways are illegal - only rumble strips are allowed :
Govt. Order: No speed breakers on National Highways
I saw this earlier and while Lonavala to Pune route is nearly free from speed breakers, Mumbai to Lonavala stretch is especially notorious with those monstrous ones. I wonder which interpretation of the Govt. order allows erection of such bumps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
An MV Agusta crashed with a Honda Activa. A 21-year-old girl along with her 13 years old brother was riding on this Activa.
The image of letter indicates that girl was 16 year old, clearly not a valid age for possessing driving license for Activa. Also, the father mentions bike's speed as 175 kph!! While the pain and grief is certainly beyond all bounds, why overstate facts?
ksameer1234 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 09:30   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The image of letter indicates that girl was 16 year old, clearly not a valid age for possessing driving license for Activa. Also, the father mentions bike's speed as 175 kph!! While the pain and grief is certainly beyond all bounds, why overstate facts?

Yes! The image of the letter indicates that girl was 16 years old and the news says she was 21.

I am from the same city & I knew Kevin(friend's friend). I know the road where this accident happened and I m sure 175Km/h is not possible on this road. However, I am sure that Kevin must have been fast( very fast). The motorcycle was brand new and his girlfriend was with him as a pillion.
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2018, 13:31   #112
Senior - BHPian

3 Bikers have crashed and passed away today in NCR

Been a bit shaken today after hearing news on WhatsApp group about 3 riders that crashed and passed away in NCR today. Riding or driving on Indian roads has become scarily dangerous nowadays with people not paying any attention at all to the road while driving and road rage fights and accidents.

Name:  Screen Shot 20180527 at 1.20.27 PM.png
Views: 6151
Size:  252.6 KB
Picture from story

A motorcyclist riding his Harley Davidson has been missing since last night after he was hit by a speeding car on the Delhi-Noida-Direct Flyway and fell in the Yamuna river.

The incident took place around 1 am. The rider has been identified as Ayushman Puri, a resident of Sarita Vihar in south Delhi.

The driver of the red Toyota Etios Liva was speeding from Delhi towards Noida, police said. It hit the black Harley Davidson Street Rod, a 750 cc motorcycle, from behind and dragged it for many metres, following which Ayushman Puri went over the guard rails at the side of the road and fell into the Yamuna underneath.

Read the full article with video here -

It's sad to hear crashes from DND, GFR (Gurgaon Faridabad Road) and Taj Expressway today.

EDIT: Got some pics

Superbike crashes in India-whatsapp-image-20180527-1.32.31-pm.jpeg
Z900 THAT HIT A CYCLIST

Superbike crashes in India-whatsapp-image-20180527-1.33.37-pm.jpeg
THE BUSA THAT CRASHED

Last edited by quickdraw : 27th May 2018 at 13:49.
quickdraw is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2018, 08:44   #113
BHPian

Quote:
MV Agusta F3 - Feb '17 - Test bike that was crashed, rider escaped with minor injuries.
Attachment 1607756[/center]
I was very fortunate it wasn't me, I landed at the event in my FZ150. I was politely declined a test ride maybe because I went my FZ150 instead of the busa. I continued to shoot a video walk around of the MV's. 2 riders took these MV bikes out (not sure if they were the sale personal or test rider), seeing this I moved to the median to record a flyby when he crashed.

The accident occurred opposite to cafe coffee day Narsapura, Kolar.

I was there diverting traffic while few people moved the crashed bike.
Harish.Krovvidi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2018, 13:11   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harish.Krovvidi View Post
I was very fortunate it wasn't me, I landed at the event in my FZ150. I was politely declined a test ride maybe because I went my FZ150 instead of the busa. I continued to shoot a video walk around of the MV's. 2 riders took these MV bikes out (not sure if they were the sale personal or test rider), seeing this I moved to the median to record a flyby when he crashed.

The accident occurred opposite to cafe coffee day Narsapura, Kolar.

I was there diverting traffic while few people moved the crashed bike.
Damn, any video of the incident? I had a similar experience with the MV test ride, I showed up to ride the F3 which was made operational thanks to giving them to ride by idiots. Worst is I had confirmed before going for a TD. MV Agusta India is in tatters and would not recommend especially at that price.
Old 30th July 2018, 07:43   #115
Team-BHP Support

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/beng...w/65191171.cms

Yesterday at Bangalore. Heard this was a very high speed crash, and the rider passed away on the spot.
Old 7th August 2018, 15:45   #116
Senior - BHPian

Biker is killed while waiting on road shoulder

"A rally to raise awareness about crimes against women took a tragic turn on Sunday morning when a 29-year-old electronics engineer from Delhi was killed and two others seriously injured after a car allegedly hit them near a petrol station on the Gurugram-Faridabad road, police said.

The three were part of an informal motorcycle club, the Highway Riders Biking Group. The rally, ‘Ride against Molestation’, had been flagged off at South Extension 2 at about 6 am.

The deceased, Deepak Pundir, was a resident of Jaitpur and worked in a warehouse in Connaught Place. He had a B.Tech degree from Al-Falah University in Faridabad. Of the two injured, 35-year-old Dharmender has a wound on his left leg, while 25-year-old Aakash is battling for survival at the AIIMS trauma centre, police said, giving only the first names of the two injured bikers.

The incident took place at around 10am when the three had stopped to take a breather near at Gwal Pahari at the end of the rally. Police said a Ford Figo hatchback, coming from Faridabad at high speed, allegedly crashed into the motorcylces in an attempt to overtake a trailer."
Full Article

We live in a lawless land, the guy likely swerved to the wrong side of a heavy vehicle to overtake, what makes my stomach churn is that he accelerated instead of using the brakes and steering to stay clear of the parked bikes. He would have likely walked away even if he went into the heavy vehicle or crashed his car into another obstacle. The following IPC's have been applied IPC sections 279 (rash driving), 304-A (death by negligence) and 337 (causing hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others) which I feel are way too docile, don't we have a vehicular manslaughter law in India? It's badly needed.

Please let me use this to reiterate a concept that I follow strictly when I am the first to arrive at a traffic light I will always keep the bike in gear and my eyes in the rear view mirror ready to move if I spot any fast-moving traffic approaching me. When on a motorcycle always stop far away from active roads. Find a nice shaded spot away from the traffic where you can sync up etc. Remember guys you need to assume nobody can see you at all time when you're on the motorcycle or even when stopped on the side of the road.
Old 13th August 2018, 13:11   #117
Senior - BHPian

Riding season and frequency of accidents.

It seems like there is a major crash happening every weekend, its not long before there will be knee-jerk reactions from authorities and it will be an issue for the community of large.

Received these images over the weekend, what I heard was 2 bikes were racing and one of them went into a truck. The rider, unfortunately, did not survive this accident. It is really sad that another life has been lost.

Superbike crashes in India-whatsapp-image-20180812-3.40.25-pm-1.jpeg

Superbike crashes in India-whatsapp-image-20180812-3.40.26-pm.jpeg

Superbike crashes in India-whatsapp-image-20180812-9.17.55-pm.jpeg

Further reading

As a biker for over 2 decades now I've seen motorcycling evolve at an insane pace for the last 5 years. The amount of horsepower per rupee you can get now is on par with the rest of the world with major investments being doing by manufacturers for manufacturing and assembly. I see the barrier to entry for a superbike go down every year and I'm a bit worried that we don't have a tiered license system in India.

People riding very fast all the time on Indian roads when there is other traffic is present are just ticking time bombs, endangering themselves and others around them. This is a big reason I usually ride alone because egos can get bruised on group rides and adrenaline can be a hell of a drug. As the great biker saying goes you've either crashed or you're going to crash when you ride motorcycles. Its all part of the game, but you need to be hyper-aware of your surroundings and ride only as fast conditions permit. Going fast all the time is just playing Russian roulette at every overtake because you don't know which lane people are going to get into.

It is a morbidly feeling updating this thread and feeling helpless, I have been thinking lately of starting a more involved dialogue on what can be done to prevent this in the interest of the entire community. Riding is all about freedom and being liberated but as older and hopefully wiser riders we need to proactively work towards a better future for all riders but how?

Last edited by quickdraw : 13th August 2018 at 13:16. Reason: Adding article
quickdraw is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 16:30   #118
BHPian

It appears that there was another crash at the beginning of electronic city flyover in Bangalore early sunday morning. Saw a damaged bike, looked like a Kawasaki but not sure.
Old 21st August 2018, 20:10   #119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramba View Post
It appears that there was another crash at the beginning of electronic city flyover in Bangalore early sunday morning. Saw a damaged bike, looked like a Kawasaki but not sure.
Yes. Was an ZX10R -

Superbike crashes in India-img20180820wa00892.jpg

As per reports received on biking groups (which unfortunately I'm unable to personally verify) - "Mervin seems to be alive clinically. Hope for his speedy recover. Someone did not even spare the critically injured and spread the msg that he is dead".
Old 25th December 2018, 20:41   #120
Senior - BHPian

Saw this in the news.

https://mumbaimirror.indiatimes.com/...w/67223098.cms

Been hearing about accidents but not had the heart to share them here. It seems the frequency is just increasing. I'm really contemplating letting go of my road bike and only ride on track.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks