Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2017, 01:46   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Auto-headlamps on (AHO): Getting rid of people's gestures on the road

Some from my side. As funny as it sounds, it's strange how people get "offended" when someone rides with a headlamp on. When you ponder about it, I think it's ingrained in Indian mentality the need to correct others. Well.. We never let know if a guy has his side-stand down, we never let know of a guy if a guy has either of his indicators flashing on a plain stretch of road. We never let the guy know if he has low tire pressure. Where did the signals go, where did all the air pom-pom pressing go. Well, the attitude is who cares.

But somehow, the juntas get offended the moment they see a headlight on. They feel it's a moral duty. I've had enough shares of people, waving, pressing in air and what not. From my side, it all ends with a duly noted nod. At least in my case 90% of the time, people just ignore the moment you see them and shake your head up and down, they stop pop-poming in mid air.

Try it out, it might work for you.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by tsk1979 : 29th June 2017 at 12:17. Reason: No censored words please. Stick to the Team-BHP rules.
VijayAnand1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 09:59   #32
Team-BHP Support

Ever since the confirmation of this happened, I've been looking for a picture of the "air pom-pom" hand gesture that people on the roads use to denote a headlight being on.

Have searched everywhere, but could not find a picture or video! Can anybody else?

I had to make my own for now, using what was available:
Auto-headlamps on (AHO): Getting rid of people's gestures on the road-msaho.jpg
original image source

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th April 2017 at 10:02.
Rehaan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 14:35   #33
Senior - BHPian

Some one had sent me a message on whatsapp a while back. "Other riders will point out when you have your headlights on in the day, but will never point out if you have not worn a helmet?"

Unquote: Which situation is more life threatening and which actually needs to be pointed out is anyone's guess.
hrman is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 17:02   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Some one had sent me a message on whatsapp a while back. "Other riders will point out when you have your headlights on in the day, but will never point out if you have not worn a helmet?"

Unquote: Which situation is more life threatening and which actually needs to be pointed out is anyone's guess.
I was just thinking about the same. What should be an appropriate hand signal for helmet ? Or is there any standard signal for the same?
Old 7th April 2017, 08:30   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Ever since the confirmation of this happened, I've been looking for a picture of the "air pom-pom" hand gesture that people on the roads use to denote a headlight being on.
Heck, you're innocent.

I have a habit of riding with my HL on, which stems from the first time I crossed the 100 kms a day milestone, and whenever I get the aforementioned gesture I just give them a thumbs up, the most funny incident was when a guy saw my HL's on his RVM and signaled me to turn it off, I was surprised to see a commuter make use of his RVM's in the first place.

I've even thumbs up'ed a couple of cops last week who signaled me to turn off the HL's, but once I showed them the thumbs up, they smiled and returned the same. I for a second thought that they were testing me.

So until giving thumbs up becomes considered as a rude gesture I guess I'll stick with that.

MOD NOTE: There were several spelling errors in your post. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 29th June 2017 at 12:17. Reason: Removing inappropriate term (b**b...)
Old 10th April 2017, 11:30   #36
Senior - BHPian

Beat this!

http://www.cartoq.com/video-chennai-...e-riding-gear/

A short video of riders being harassed very recently in Chennai. Towards the end of the video, there is one question from a cop "Pagalla, yenpa light potu oturenga", "Why are you riding with the headlights on during daytime"!

Things will only get worse I suppose!
anachronix is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 20:31   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Beat this!

http://www.cartoq.com/video-chennai-...e-riding-gear/

A short video of riders being harassed very recently in Chennai. Towards the end of the video, there is one question from a cop "Pagalla, yenpa light potu oturenga", "Why are you riding with the headlights on during daytime"!

Things will only get worse I suppose!
Cops jumped the gun here!! But seriously, I have seen many bikers with KTM or other such bikes are the ones who wear safety gear (good practice), but also ride rashly(not good practice). What are they trying to achieve anyway, get a fast bike, care for your own safety but not of the others on the road?
Old 29th June 2017, 12:15   #38
BHPian

I am used to this hand gestures from people nowadays. The good thing is that people do notice you. Some of them still make these hand gestures, some of them stare at you and most of them now know that the bikes come with AHO feature nowadays.
Whenever someone make the gestures or give you the stare, my wife keeps asking why do these people don't read newspapers. May be people stare at us because we both ride with helmets!
Old 29th June 2017, 16:24   #39
BHPian

Whether AHO is good or bad is a question. It is completely pointless in southern coastal states like Kerala, where i live, where we don't even have a proper winter season or foggy conditions. Off late, i'm totally annoyed by the increasing number of fools on road who keep their headlamps on in the "High- Beam" position. Its extremely tiring to the eyes. The makers should have given only the AHO in the Low-beam position only or should have given DRLs instead of automatic headlamps. Of course, its the mistake of some ill brained govt official in Delhi.
aruncheloor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 17:19   #40
BHPian

Quote:
The makers should have given only the AHO in the Low-beam position only or should have given DRLs instead of automatic headlamps.
Yes I agree with that. Just like headlamp is turned on when you switch on the ignition, there​ should be a provision such that vehicle cannot be started with the headlamps in the high beam position. When we have automatic climate control and rain sensing wipers, why can't we have a sensor based high beam operation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aruncheloor View Post
It is completely pointless in southern coastal states like Kerala, where i live, where we don't even have a proper winter season or foggy conditions.
Good point. This was the exact response made by one of my cousin ( who was living abroad and came to India for a vacation) when he noticed too many two wheelers with headlamps on.

Last edited by knightrider_7 : 29th June 2017 at 17:30.
knightrider_7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 17:26   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
headlamps on in the "High- Beam" position. Its extremely tiring to the eyes. The makers should have given only the AHO in the Low-beam position only
I do think AHO is a good feature that will help bikers get noticed, but thing habit of switching to high-beam is highly annoying indeed. If I am not wrong, Dominar's light seems to be in high-beam by default and the most annoying one of them all!
Old 30th June 2017, 15:38   #42
BHPian

Switching on High Beam within the City Limits is illegal. But, i do see hundreds of vehicles with the High-Beam on where we have super bright LED Street Lights on city roads nowadays. Lack of proper road safety education i would say. Bangalore city police earlier conducted a drive to catch those vehicles putting on High Beams within Bangalore city limits. Its high time such a drive should be conducted in every cities to create awareness. AHO in High Beam position should be treated in the same manner.
Old 17th July 2017, 18:07   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Whether AHO is good or bad is a question. It is completely pointless in southern coastal states like Kerala, where i live, where we don't even have a proper winter season or foggy conditions. Off late, i'm totally annoyed by the increasing number of fools on road who keep their headlamps on in the "High- Beam" position. Its extremely tiring to the eyes. The makers should have given only the AHO in the Low-beam position only or should have given DRLs instead of automatic headlamps. Of course, its the mistake of some ill brained govt official in Delhi.
You are very much right.

They should've carried the operation with two LED based DRLs :-)
Old 22nd July 2017, 00:33   #44
BHPian

I've been riding a HD Street 750 and have been facing this problem long before BSIV came into play. Its pretty easy actually, I just nod my head "up and down" and flash my header at them at which by default they realise that I already know my head Lamp is on!

On a lighter note:

Rather than the lights on my bike, people are even more purplexed on looking at the dual cylinders as to why my bike has a double engine to which I tell them that one starts when the other stops working.

Something even funnier is one day I was riding the Ninja 300 when one person came up to me and rather than telling me the headlamp is on, told me that only one headlamp was working and the other bulb had died out! I replied by saying my bike just can't stop winking

So take it with a smile! Just first world problems I tell you haha!
Attached Thumbnails
Auto-headlamps on (AHO): Getting rid of people's gestures on the road-img_4512.jpg  

Last edited by Starfire : 22nd July 2017 at 00:37.
Starfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 05:18   #45
BHPian

In India everyone is trying to help, atleast that's what they think. Why have lamps on during the day. Just ignore and ride on. I ride the Triumph Rocket and experience different type of people depending upon the place iam. On way to Manali I had this person come to me while I was with my friends at a dhabba n ask why the lamp is on, what's the fuel average and what's the cost. First I normally tell the cost and for fuel average I simply say 100kmpl. So when they ask again to be double sure I simply add that that's the reason why I paid a hefty amount to purchase this thing

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks