Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2017, 11:46   #31

Re: Want to get confident about my riding skills before buying my first bike. How can I do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Friends teaching you might get you into bad habits though unless you get the right friend.
That's fair, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhatman510 View Post
In your case, get yourself a cheap cheap bike, not new. You will dump your bike no matter what.
Makes sense, I'll keep that in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Simple exercise to begin with, when you have a bike...
I'll try that out, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkr15 View Post
Please do wear it and strap it securely.
I pledge commitment to safety!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I suggest get an old bike like first generation CBZ or Yamaha RX 100. These bikes are cheap in Delhi.
Will check out, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Would suggest to rent one of these things over a weekend, spend hours riding it in traffic free areas. Since you seem to have the basics of riding right, this should be good enough to get you comfortable.
Yeah, I think so too. I'll try renting, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I have the best option for you - OneMoto. They offer motorcycle coaching in Delhi. It's run by BHPian Revved Soul.

Even Hero (link) appears to have training programs in Delhi. Once you want to get to the advanced level (after 2 - 3 years), check out IndiMotard.

Also rent bikes from companies like this, this and this. Get adequate training before buying your first bike, but remember, the learning never stops.

Good luck & ride safe .
Oh my you are the best! I contacted motobike and I'm starting my training today itself with them. They are a bit far from my place but they've helpfully squeezed the 10 hour class schedule from 10 days to 5 days with a 2 hour class each day. I'll rent some 200-220cc bike from your suggested website after training for practice and then hopefully I can buy and drive an FZ25 without a hitch! Thank you so much, GTO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj2268 View Post
@ OP: Before you start practicing riding on a new/used bike, please wear adequate protection(Head/arms/knees/foot) so that any untoward fall only leads to you getting up and dusting yourself off, not an ER visit.
I'll keep safety in mind.
golkante is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 14:44   #32
BHPian

Re: Want to get confident about my riding skills before buying my first bike. How can I do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Firstly, a splendor is easy to fix if you fall. Get used to falling at low speeds. Secondly it should be easy to find used. Third, it will be very easy to fork over to the dealership in exchange for a yamaha. Anything else in the 100 cc category will also do.

You dont need anyone to teach you. Buy a bike, and get out to a playground and just start riding it. Take a friend along for help. Clutch, gear, shift, brake. You just need to train body brain reflexes. You will have to do the same thing 100,200,500 times to allow it to be reflex action. No driving school can help with this.

When i learnt to ride my yezdi 250, i just took her out for a spin around the park every day for 30 minutes. Alone. I was set in about 1 week. A month later i was out on a ride from bangalore to chennai. I was your age.

Give yourself more credit and go out there and just do it. Being a keyboard warrior will not help one bit.

Sorry if i am being pushy. In cases like this however, thats what you need. Your innate confidence will do the rest.

Now get out there and start riding!
Reminds me of an incident where for the very first time my sister rode a yezdi CL II. Her riding experience was limited to a cycle, a suvega (wonder how many of you have heard about this machine and a tvs 50) - mid u all ungeared. My, rather our cousin had a yezdi CL II which I used to ride with him for small errands. One day my sister said she wants to try it out. We showed her the controls, which she seems to have understood based on her limited experience. In front of our house was a 2 kms straight road (5 bangla road, ramgunj, Ajmer - for those who know this area). My cousin went with her, he riding giving her a demonstration, the plan was, cousin shall get down at the end of the road and sister shall drive it back to where i was standing alone. My cousin turned the bike around, sister sat on the saddle and started driving towards me. I noticed, she was bending her body to the left and doing something with her hand, due to the distance, initially I did not realize what she was doing, then i realized, she was changing the gears of the yezdi using her hand instead of her leg!!! Anyhow by the time she reached me, she was pretty slow so i could run along and control the bike. Now she is a perfect driver, having driving in more countries than we could dream off.
ALTIMAed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2017, 10:25   #33

My class yesterday with Vikram at Onemoto was absolutely amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Sorry to hijack your thread, but I too have an almost similar quandary.
Thanks.
Ah, hopefully GTO or someone can recommend an instructor in your area. His recommendation for me is terrific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverabhi View Post
First of all, buy a proper riding gear. Helmet, riding jacket, knee guards and wear shoes.
Noted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
More than FZ25, R15 makes a better buy.
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Your initial few mistakes will end up stalling the bike
Thanks. Yeah, I experienced this several times in my class yesterday. Need more practice I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arungeorge View Post
So I would suggest to rent a bike and learn in couple of days.
Thanks for sharing your experience! I do plan to rent a bike after training is over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
What an exciting time for you.
It is! Thanks for your reply, will keep in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
Also, don't get a faired bike
Makes sense, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterace View Post
And most importantly - common sense and caution. They are the salt in your riding experience.
Certainly, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks1418 View Post
1. Easy to ride. No clutch, no gearshifts. Just twist your wrist and go.
Well, yes, but I need to learn to ride a bike either ways. I rode an Activa once to length and, as you said, it feels like a no-brainer to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
hopefully the OP can learn something from my experience as well.
Thank you for sharing your experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTIMAed View Post
Now she is a perfect driver, having driving in more countries than we could dream off.
That's an awesome story, thanks for sharing!

(Apologies for replying to everyone in one go with long posts!)
golkante is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2017, 22:24   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post

I don't know who went and taught half the bikers in chennai but to make a right turn they'll drive onto the wrong side of the road, turn right again onto the wrong lane and then diagonally cut across to the correct lane.

Thank God that someone brought this up. This topic should have a thread of its own. This is an endemic problem in Mumbai and is not only limited to bikes all modes of travel with wheels on them. No one in Mumbai knows how to make a left or a right turn on intersections devoid of signals or physical dividers.

They will simply cut the corner and perform the maneuver described so aptly by you.

This irritates and angers me no end. And the best part is that these guys / gals do not know that it's the wrong thing to do.
Yusha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 05:25   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusha View Post
They will simply cut the corner and perform the maneuver described so aptly by you.

This irritates and angers me no end. And the best part is that these guys / gals do not know that it's the wrong thing to do.
They feel very affronted when I ask them who taught them to drive, funnily enough.

If the cops set up a camera at the turning into the street where I live they would mint money from issuing tickets for this practice. At least 20+ or more bikers a day because there is a school further down the road.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 09:35   #36
Team-BHP Support

While you are at it, please do go through this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ng-thread.html
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 09:54   #37

Well this is my first post on T-BHP and does it feel good to be posting on a bike thread!!

All the points have been covered till now. May I know what bike are the trainers using to teach you? I'd suggest that you DO NOT learn on a commuter bike. Reason? Mostly the commuters have sequential gearboxes whereas the bike that you will end up buying will most probably have ratios in the form of 1down, 4/5 up. So it'll be easier for you to ride your own bike if you have the hang of such a gearbox.
nachiketparate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 10:53   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by golkante View Post
I contacted motobike and I'm starting my training today itself with them. They are a bit far from my place but they've helpfully squeezed the 10 hour class schedule from 10 days to 5 days with a 2 hour class each day.
Very happy to help. Now that we helped you, you help us . Once your training is complete, please put up a review of OneMoto in a new thread. It'll be a boon for others sailing in the same boat as you were.

Thanks!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 12:24   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
While you are at it, please do go through this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ng-thread.html
I shall do so, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachiketparate View Post
May I know what bike are the trainers using to teach you?
I am getting training on a Yamaha FZ, don't think it is much different from what I plan to buy. I'll check with him today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Once your training is complete, please put up a review of OneMoto in a new thread.
Will do!

---

Btw, hot damn is riding bikes one hell of an exhilarating experience.
golkante is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 17:44   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by golkante View Post
Hey folks, I am turning 20 in a few days and I want to gift myself a bike. My budget is up to 120K INR and I reside in Delhi/NCR area. Preferred brand is Yamaha based on my lurking around on this forum and some internet research.
While learning to ride, make sure you try and learn how to perform minor adjustments (like chain slack, engine tuning for carbureted engines etc.) and troubleshooting (removing a punctured wheel, replacing a broken clutch cable etc.). These would really help you once you are confident and start taking longer trips.
Learn well and ride any Motorbike you want to but I would really advise against buying any Royal Enfield as your first bike.

You have to get slightly used to some mechanical aspects of motorcycles before committing to an Enfield, otherwise you would be forever put off motorcycling.

Happy riding.
revvenant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 09:05   #41

Quote:
I am getting training on a Yamaha FZ, don't think it is much different from what I plan to buy. I'll check with him today.

The FZ is a great learner's bike and it has the 1 down-4 up layout of the ratios.
nachiketparate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 12:33   #42
Senior - BHPian

You are in safe hands now so not much I can add, just remember one thing though, when riding stay with the traffic flow and follow the speeds the general traffic is moving at.
I have seen a lot of people moving at 20Kmph while the traffic is moving at say avg speeds of 50kmph on highways, it will put you in a lot of danger. If you arent sure you can stay with traffic, use slower alternate routes.

Welcome to the wonderful world of two wheels Ride safe and wear your gear.
sammyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 14:08   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvenant View Post
While learning to ride, make sure you try and learn how to perform minor adjustments
That's fair, I'll see what I can do. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachiketparate View Post
The FZ is a great learner's bike and it has the 1 down-4 up layout of the ratios.
Yeah, I quite like it as well. Although, I'm slightly tall (6'3") and I feel a bit trapped inside it possibly due to the low seat height, otherwise it might be the perfect first bike for me since it is only 150cc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
when riding stay with the traffic flow and follow the speeds the general traffic is moving at.
I shall keep that in mind, thank you!
Old 13th September 2017, 18:01   #44
BHPian

Good to hear that OP was able to find a qualified instructor at a reasonable price.

For other in the same boat but don't have access to such instruction, I suggest buying (instead of renting) a used commuter bike from Hero or Honda and learning at your own pace in a controlled environment.

Buying the used bike has several advantages
  • Getting good at riding a bike is a matter of practice. 10 hours of practice on one day is not as good as 10 days of 1 hr practice each. Renting a bike for 10 days is not cost effective.
  • You can use the used bike for your errands - cheaper than rickshaw/taxi and you gain practice too
  • You don't lose your deposit on a rented bike in case of damage.
  • You can learn basic maintenance on your used bike
  • As long as the bike you buy is in the commuter category from a respected brand like Hero or Honda, you can sell it after 6 months for the same cost as you bought it.
vivtho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 09:52   #45
BHPian

As the saying goes, "four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul." Prepare to have your soul moved as you progress on your motorcycling journey.
To add to all the fantastic advice BHPians have already given you on this thread, do seek out more information online about motorcycling and educate yourself about safety, and of course, physics that applies to two wheels in motion.
Here are some Wikipedia article links I have found to be consistently useful:
Motorcycling safety
Motorcycle helmet
Motorcycle Components
[url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_touring"]Motorcycle Engine
Motorcycle Touring

Last but not the least, and probably the most important: learn to drive defensively.

Good luck! And welcome to motorcycling!

Last edited by dhruvtanwar : 14th September 2017 at 09:53. Reason: Added link to Motorcycle Touring on Wikipedia
dhruvtanwar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks