Team-BHP - Review: Onemoto, two-wheeler riding school in Delhi
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Ride Safe (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ride-safe/)
-   -   Review: Onemoto, two-wheeler riding school in Delhi (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ride-safe/190373-review-onemoto-two-wheeler-riding-school-delhi.html)

Background

I am a beginner to bike riding. I asked for suggestions on learning to ride a bike before, and was suggested trying Onemoto which is run by a BHPian.

I sent them a message, and the very next day I started training. We decided on 5 sessions, two hours each. Comfortably priced.

The trainer, picked me up at a nearby metro station for the training sessions, and the location for training was quite near. It was preemptively occupied with learners for the most part.

Overview

Day 1

I was introduced to basics of motorcycling, and the various parts of a motorcycle. Engine, clutch, gears, brakes, etc., followed by the basic process of starting the bike, gear shifting, and halting.

We practiced some, and I was able to ride to some distance already. I did U-turns manually, and only focused on steering at idle speeds to gain better control of the bike. It was a bit overwhelming but trainer has just the right balance between being polite and strict, so it was quite comfortable.

Day 2

We recalled what we did the day before. Followed by practicing gear shifts, braking, and U-turns (in the same lane). We kept at very safe speeds and I was able to clearly understand the process. Only my reflexes were lacking. I failed a lot at pickup, but instructor was calm and encouraging.

Day 3

We recalled the previous stuff as usual, and then did more U-turns, counter steering, braking while turning, riding to make a figure of 8 on the track, and just more practice in general. We also expanded the street coverage to practice on slightly more occupied locations.

Let me just tell you this - I freaking love counter steering. Best part of riding a motorcycle.

Day 4

This is when we were to go in some real traffic conditions. We practiced braking and pickup first. At this point, I was much better at pickup. Then we proceeded to a normally trafficked road. We did U-turns in road traffic, practiced giving the correct indicator hint, horns, more braking, using the rear view mirrors to keep track of traffic behind us etc. in 2 different locations.

The session ended with me riding back to the metro station (quite short distance, though) :D

Day 5

On the last day, we drove more in real traffic. Practiced at corners, blind corners, U-turns etc. near traffic lights, an inclined slope etc. I asked a bunch of questions about bike handling. We drove back, and by this point I was pretty confident at starting to ride a bike in traffic by myself.

Review: Onemoto, two-wheeler riding school in Delhi-image1.jpeg

Review: Onemoto, two-wheeler riding school in Delhi-image2.jpeg

Since this is a new thread, I am giving the relevant links here again:

Website
Facebook Page

Thread moved from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing.

Many thanks for sharing, Golkante! Much appreciated :thumbs up. Here's the thread that started it all - link.

Quote:

Originally Posted by golkante (Post 4269771)
Comfortably priced.

Please share the pricing for the benefit of others.

Quote:

It was preemptively occupied with learners for the most part.
How many others?

Thanks for sharing the review. Two Wheeler schools seem to be more of an unorganized sector and good to see a professional set up.

Can you share some more details?

EDIT: Got some of the info from the Website.

Review: Onemoto, two-wheeler riding school in Delhi-motorcoaching.png

Quote:

Originally Posted by golkante (Post 4269771)
Background

I am a beginner to bike riding. I asked for suggestions on learning to ride a bike before, and was suggested trying Onemoto which is run by a BHPian.

I have a few questions to understand what is being taught with regards to riding a motorcycle/scooter.

1. Have you ridden a bicycle before?
2. Were you instructed to strap your helmet properly? What instructions were given on how a helmet is to be worn?
3. Were you asked to wear any knee guards, elbow guards, gloves etc?
4. What were the instructions that were given to you with regards to making left and right turns?
5. Was there any specific reason for repeated instructions for "U" turns? What were taught as part of taking "U" turns?
6. What were the instructions that were given with regards to braking?
7. What were the instructions given with regards to shifting gears (which gear at what times etc. / downshifts)

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4270470)
Please share the pricing for the benefit of others.
How many others?

I was charged 2K INR. There were less than 5 or so other learners at any time but they were learning to ride a 4 wheeler. I do remember seeing someone teaching a friend to ride a bike as well, but momentarily.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajeevraj (Post 4270479)
  • The bike used and whether the trainer decided on which one based on your existing skills and other parameters (This one I assume is a Pulsar)
  • Were the initial days in some open area/ground or on traffic free roads?
  • The instructor would sit behind all the time or guide from close range-Especially initial couple of days?
  • Do they insist that you have a learner license or do they help do that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by swissknife (Post 4270498)
1. Have you ridden a bicycle before?
2. Were you instructed to strap your helmet properly? What instructions were given on how a helmet is to be worn?
3. Were you asked to wear any knee guards, elbow guards, gloves etc?
4. What were the instructions that were given to you with regards to making left and right turns?
5. Was there any specific reason for repeated instructions for "U" turns? What were taught as part of taking "U" turns?
6. What were the instructions that were given with regards to braking?
7. What were the instructions given with regards to shifting gears (which gear at what times etc. / downshifts)

1. Yes, I've ridden pedal bicycles a lot, and in severe traffic conditions of Ghaziabad and Delhi highways (although I don't recommend doing that, haha)
2. I was wearing a helmet all the time, even as a pillion. No special instructions, wearing a helmet doesn't seem that hard?
3. No
4. Maintain visibility - make yourself visible and see the incoming traffic, keep speed low if possible. Always use indicator lights and give a horn.
5. I think the focus was on looking clearly about where you want to go, and to maintain the steering during the curve. We possibly repeated it because of me not doing them very well at start. We turned around in the same lane and on divided roads.
6. Braking was huge part of everything. Braking while panicked situation, braking at turns, braking normally etc. Preference to use both the brakes together in appropriate amount, using rear brake while turning, prevention of skidding during brakes etc.
7. Decide speed first, and switch gear based on changes in speed. Maintain appropriate gear for appropriate speed.

I'd happy to answer any other questions as well.