Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2017, 08:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

Cop sees 5 people on a motorcycle; folds his hands in resignation

Wish this could be a one off exception. Sadly, on our roads, this is more of a rule.
Attached Thumbnails
Cop sees 5 people on a motorcycle; folds his hands in resignation-img20171010wa0012.jpg  

dailydriver is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 13:17   #2
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Backstory:
Quote:
“I had just finished an one-and-half hour programme on road safety awareness in which that man was also present. My mind went blank when I saw the five of them riding so dangerously and all I could do was fold my hands in total resignation, helplessness and frustration. I asked him to think of the safety of his family as he did not have minimum sense of responsibility towards them. As the two kids were sitting on the fuel tank, he had little room to manouevre because their legs were stuck to the handlebar. Accidents happen like that only. When I confronted him, he just smiled back at me and murmured something,’’ Shubh Kumar said.
http://indianexpress.com/article/cit...eness-4882955/

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th October 2017 at 17:23. Reason: Expanding excerpt a bit :)
darklord is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 16:57   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Cop sees 5 people on a motorcycle; folds his hands in resignation

Thanks for sharing, dailydriver & darklord! Moving this unique situation to a new thread.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 17:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

Sad state of affairs. Feel for the policeman. Goes to prove that the person must be willing to change to make a difference. Given our population, unless some amount of self discipline is there, enforcement will be an issue I suppose

Looks to be a spontaneous reaction on the part of the police man based on the interview, but the photo looks perfectly framed
arvind71181 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 17:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

Well, to be frank, many of us (me included) might have experienced 4 people (2 Adult, 2 kids) on a bike/scooter first hand, during our childhood days.
That wasn't safe either.
This guy had the mis-fortune and the brain to go one step further, without realizing that the additional 5th passenger created a serious steering handicap while driving the motorcycle.
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 17:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

I initially thought this to be a photoshopped image. But was surprised to hear that it was a real life incident. I am happy to see the inspector doing what he did though seeing the expression on the rider's face he would have laughed it off as a joke and carried on.

I remember in early 90's when we were kids my dad used to ride around town in his chetak with four of us. But he stopped it soon after as he said it was dangerous to ride like that and we used to travel in bus when all of us had to go. This was in mid 90's with considerably less traffic than now. I used to feel bad but understood it later.

But I see this being followed by many people even now in roads with heavy traffic. They drive without any care, traffic police do not stop them nor do they care themselves. I was once asked to push off when I suggested to a family of five to be careful as they had a small infant being carried while the laday sat sideways along with two other children standing in front on a scooter.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 17:49   #7
Team-BHP Support

In Kannada, we call it "Dodda Namaskaara" (Big Greeting)

You use it when a person's actions leave you speechless and you have no words to say.

Last edited by SmartCat : 10th October 2017 at 18:13.
SmartCat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 17:54   #8
BHPian

I got that picture as a whatsapp message today, as a joke.

The sad part is there are so many families where the younger child is in the mother's lap, virtually hanging outside

What shocks me is that the Father (wearing a helmet) weaves through the traffic on most occasions without bothering that a small accident would mean death for the child who has zero protection.

An unexpected pothole would be enough.

An Example - (Source:http://www.alamy.com)
Attached Thumbnails
Cop sees 5 people on a motorcycle; folds his hands in resignation-temp.jpg  

Slick is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 18:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

Have to bring up an incident I faced a few weeks back in Pune. To start with I find drivers in this city have the least regard for rules, especially wrong side driving.

One evening on my commute home, there was unusually high traffic and I was at a busy junction near 'Bhumkar chowk'. As is normal here in these situations, people started going down the wrong side of the road (road has a full divider!).

Naturally, there was chaos at this junction and finally a cop arrived. The cop stops the cars on the correct side of the road and allows the people on the wrong side to move ahead first !! This cop was right near my car, so I put down my window and asked him if he was encouraging wrong side driving and he replies, "unka galti ho gaya, 2 minute ruko"

This is the sorry state of the traffic cops here.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 10th October 2017 at 18:25.
fiat_tarun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 19:12   #10
BHPian

Just yesterday Morning, I was reading about a motorcycle accident reported in Mysore Mitra ( local Kannada daily), where two youngsters were killed on the spot and three more critically injured, when the rider lost control of his Honda Activa and rammed into a barricade. I read twice to understand clearly, if there was one more bike involved. 5 guys were on the activa. And sadly, one more has succumbed today, taking toll to 3. I wish its time for all stakeholders to start addressing road safety issues seriously.

Last edited by GTO : 11th October 2017 at 09:37. Reason: typos
nutmello is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 19:31   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

How can we forget this accident where the child, rider and pillion barely missed getting run over!

This was captured by our very own BHPian 2500cc last year!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post4021926

Last edited by paragsachania : 10th October 2017 at 19:34.
paragsachania is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 08:46   #12
Team-BHP Support

It turns out that the rider in the first post didn't even have a driver's license.

http://www.thenewsminute.com/article...s-family-69760
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 09:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

The biker was riding with more than the pillion, not wearing helmet, did not have a licence, endangered the kids and all the cop did was give him that expression. Should the cops resign to this frustration? Does this not send wrong message to the bikers who do this kind of stunt often? Shouldn't an example be made of this and strict laws enforced.

The smile on the face of the man was a tight slap on the cop.
ghodlur is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2017, 18:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

The man whose photo appears in the opening post would need at least a small car to transport his folks safely.

But,

Only a seven seater can accomodate the family that is featured in the picture below.

Cop sees 5 people on a motorcycle; folds his hands in resignation-img20171102wa0004.jpg

PS: Wonder how would inspector Shub Kumar (the cop in the opening picture) react to this .

Picture Courtesy: WhatsApp
dailydriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2017, 19:09   #15
BHPian

You all misunderstand. This is a safety feature! In the event of an accident, the soft bodies of the children serve as excellent air-bags, absorbing the force of the impact that would be felt by the adult driver. Granted, this is not good for the health of the little one. But then this is India, they can always have more kids, no?

Stop criticizing this innovative jugaad.

/dark sarcasm obviously
//but really tho, why do people do this.
marcussantiago is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed