Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2018, 17:28   #151
BHPian

re: Bangalore: Bikers being thrashed by locals after an accident

What's the message being conveyed by the villagers? Are they asking people to not cross their village on super bikes, instead drive around in cars and SUVs and don't stop even if you happen to hit any of us unintentionally.Because if you stop to help us we will thrash you.
bharatbits is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2018, 17:44   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I don't think you understood what I said. What PrasannaDhana pointed out is not a political or financial problem, but an economic one. Something I regularly discuss in the economics thread.
I know and my response didn't clarify that. My apologies. What I meant was that this real issue is used by a few for their own benefit, portraying others as unfairly privileged and thereby dividing society.

We all know who these people are, and what their real goal is. This division causes such mob wrath, not a direct result of poverty but of it being used to divide people.
Old 10th January 2018, 18:11   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
What's the message being conveyed by the villagers? Are they asking people to not cross their village on super bikes, instead drive around in cars and SUVs and don't stop even if you happen to hit any of us unintentionally.Because if you stop to help us we will thrash you.
No message , a mob is an expression of raw impulse . On another day , the same individual would be found taking selfie next to a parked motorcycle .

I am reminded of another similar incident during the UP poll in 2017 ; apparently some politician's son started revving his supercar in a village and this peeved off the men there , so they started pelting stone at his supercar and then decided to pelt stones at any "Costly" looking car passing through.

In 2016 , a large mob from a slum invaded a gated housing society in kolkata and savagely vandalised over 50 cars . Their reason was a maid from their community was harassed by her employer. They found that reason enough to destroy every car they could lay their hands on .
Old 10th January 2018, 18:26   #154
BHPian

How is the situation now? Is it safe to ride from hyderabad to bangalore now?
Old 10th January 2018, 18:29   #155
BHPian

Re: Bikes being thrashed by the locals

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Not my rules at all. While right of way laws do differ, one thing is universal. If you hit a pedestrian and kill him you will be arrested and prosecuted for it.

If you convince the judge the dead person was at fault and you tried to avoid the accident you may get off and be spared jail time. But you will still be arrested and produced before a court.
Agreed. The same thing was told to me by my instructor when I gave the test for driving license in UAE. It is pretty much the same laws everywhere.

The company where I work in had a case where the vehicle road tester knocked down a jay walker & was arrested . But later released when they saw that it was not his fault. But company paid blood money to the family of the victim.

Last edited by snaseer : 10th January 2018 at 18:34. Reason: Grammar
Old 10th January 2018, 18:39   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagadeesh.b View Post
How is the situation now? Is it safe to ride from hyderabad to bangalore now?
Given the mob mentality and memories from the recent episode, It would be good to pass this section (Devanahalli - Bagepalli toll) in wee hours, at least for the next couple of days. Also, avoid riding in groups or making noise when passing by these sections.

However, there have been no such news that mention about recurring incidents like the one that happened last weekend.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2018, 18:58   #157
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
It would be good to pass this section (Devanahalli - Bagepalli toll) in wee hours, at least for the next couple of days. Also, avoid riding in groups or making noise when passing by these sections.
Things are just fine, just ride slow and safe when you are approaching this area and Bangalore in general. Don't worry about the timings and all.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2018, 19:00   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Things are just fine, just ride slow and safe when you are approaching this area and Bangalore in general. Don't worry about the timings and all.
Exactly what I mentioned that there have been no such incidents reported and by not making noise and passing, I invariably meant pass these areas slowly without making a super hero entry and give all hints. You never know what a bunch of jobless guys sitting on a culvert can do.
paragsachania is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th January 2018, 21:27   #159
Senior - BHPian

Guy's forget about who is right or wrong. Just think about what can be done when we face a similar situation like this ourselves. Would you stop and wait to help or will you just leave and surrender to Police ?

I myself would leave the place and just surrender myself to the cops. Because 99% of the time, villagers will attack us, thinking that we are some spoilt rich brat.

Also it's much safer to ride on the slower lane or Middle of the road for taking evasive maneuvers. Riding slow on the highway and people or animals not crossing the road are not going to happen in India.

Last edited by stanjohn123 : 10th January 2018 at 21:28.
stanjohn123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 09:29   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
I myself would leave the place and just surrender myself to the cops. Because 99% of the time, villagers will attack us, thinking that we are some spoilt rich brat.
Yes, even I would suggest that. If it is an incident which involves injury, severe damage to property etc however possible, just go to the nearest police station and explain what happened. Let them settle matters in the police station. Stopping at the spot, trying to help or even clarify wont help, since no one will be willing to listen.

OTOH, if it is a small incident, like running over chicken, slight brush with a two wheeler etc(where the rider hasnt fallen or injured) just carry on with your journey. Even small incidents get escalated to such a level that they might end up damaging your car and breaking glasses even if one guy comes in your way and you scare him away with a loud honk, and stop to scold him.

Many a time, if we try to escalate the situation ourselves, the opposite party even if at fault realizes that he could somehow benefit out of the situation. A few years back, my uncle was driving on Kanakpura road and I was on the passengers seat. Since it is a narrow road, a biker even without seeing his mirror came from the left shoulder to the main road and hit our car. Since the speed was around 50kmph, he hit the car, went back to the shoulder and regained control. So much was his guilt, that he didnt even look at us directly. We went ahead of him and when I did a gesture of question what on earth he was doing, he replied with a gesture of what happened. We didnt stop since explaining to him what his mistake would have led to him blaming it was our mistake. Hence, there is no point in trying to stay at a spot and trying to show whats right and whats wrong. Mobs dont listen.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th January 2018 at 18:01. Reason: times > time.
audioholic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 10:02   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post

Details here

None of the people with expensive bikes are even more expensive safety gear would attempt something dead foolish like this yet they got thrashed. What should be done with this pin head?
You need to share this video to all how drive/ride a lot. This can happen even in other areas and people need to be aware of its existence.

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th January 2018 at 15:22. Reason: Removing Youtube link from the Quote. Thanks.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 10:43   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Exactly what I mentioned that there have been no such incidents reported and by not making noise and passing, I invariably meant pass these areas slowly without making a super hero entry and give all hints. You never know what a bunch of jobless guys sitting on a culvert can do.
You are 100% right. Have faced this myself. While crossing one such area in Faridabad where my speed was very minimal, say-30-40, i could spot a bunch of guys sitting by the roadside. God knows what crept into their minds that one of them suddenly ran towards my car and he was bang in front of me in a minute. The very next moment he was by my side and ready for a brawl. His whole and sole motive was money. By gods grace, there was policeman behind me on his bike and he immediately intervened and slapped that guy saying that if he spots him next time, he would be behind the bars.

Am sure that he had his group waiting by the roadside. Had the policeman not been there, i would have been victimized. Although here it is a different case but just am seconding what parag said in his post above.
su1978 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 14:51   #163
BANNED

There was an instant when I, riding my Apache, hit a 8 year old cyclist who decided to cross the crowded 4 lane city road. Three motocylist crashed and I being the fourth and nearest to median(which the kid had intended to vault over) braked but hit his rear wheel.

Thank God, nothing happened to the kid.

I do believe that had I injured the kid, I would have been a culprit rather than a victim in not anticipating and slowing down proactively.

There was another incident when I got mobbed for killing a 30kilo goat which was the last in line of the string of animals that rushed in to the road after being shooed away from nibbling at something by the roadside. Yeah, it has slowed me a tad more.

Last edited by COMMUTER : 11th January 2018 at 15:00.
Old 11th January 2018, 14:57   #164
BANNED

Re: Bikes being thrashed by the locals

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghate View Post
The citizens of our country have this habit of stereotyping everyone and generalizing their thoughts about something.
Ditto for vehicle buying patterns. Ditto for apeing the West. Can anyone assume roads in our country are the same as the USA ?

Mob mentality exists in all parts of the country, especially when mindless bikers speed to glory. Would this biker have stopped, in case he did not skid and fall ? Chances are slim. That's what is called mentality. That's what is generalization of thought !
lifebuoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 15:14   #165
BHPian

This reminds me of an incident which happened with me quite a while ago. I was in school and I had just started riding my bicycle to school. This was in mid-1980 I guess.

Now I was riding at medium speed and suddenly I crashed into a pedestrian walking along side the road in the same direction as me. I don't remember the cause of the crash - mostly it was me at fault by not paying attention to the road.

But I was a schoolboy with a schoolbag on my back. As soon as I fell down (with the cycle falling on me) I started crying loudly. I had also a rather large scratch on my right leg. Now I knew that it was my fault and I was crying more due to being scared that people will now scold me. But when I started crying, the gathered people started blaming the pedestrian !! He had a hard time getting away for making a school going child fall.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks