Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2018, 21:00   #31
BHPian

Re: Bikes being thrashed by the locals

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
My dear chap, the pedestrian in question was a small child. You can't lay blame on them at all. And please don't blame the now grief stricken parents.

One ironclad rule around the world .. guess who has right of way even if they are coming from the wrong side etc? You got it, the pedestrian.

Regardless of what the pedestrian does, if you hit them you will be booked. If you kill them on hitting them you will be booked for culpable homicide (one step less than murder in the IPC).
This doesn't mean that the biker was at fault, we are here condemning mob justice and ironically, passing judgement that it was the biker fault at the same time. The ignorance is similar in both cases.
I can think of several instances where pedestrians appear from thin air and suddenly start running on the road, jumping across the expressway etc.
There are times when you can't really do anything, imagine you're driving at 90Kmph on the expressway and suddenly some guy decides to run for it like a deer in the middle of the road, what do you do?
Doge is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th January 2018, 21:03   #32
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore: Bikers being thrashed by locals after an accident

I am quite surprised with certain replies on this thread.
People are quite comfortably throwing mud at biker riders, by using terms like overspeeding, rash riding and what not at ,without knowing what exactly happened.

Ideally you are supposed to slow down, while driving/riding through densely populated areas. Since I wasn't there, I Won't assume the speed of the KTM rider.

A couple of years ago, I was doing about 55-60km/hr in a 90km/hr zone, a dog darted across the road, I didn't get a chance to lift my foot off the accelerator to brake; before i could react, the dog was history.
Keeping in mind our conditions, It could have been a kid, and I would have been behind the bars today.

I am not blaming the kid or the parents, but I am 99.9% sure, that the KTM rider wouldn't have gone off the road and knocked the poor girl down.

Stop speculating, let the details come out, and then decide who was at fault.

May the departed soul R.I.P, and i also wish good luck to the rider and hope he is given a green chit, if he wasn't at fault.
akshay4587 is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 7th January 2018, 21:21   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
imagine you're driving at 90Kmph on the expressway and suddenly some guy decides to run for it like a deer in the middle of the road, what do you do?
If you are driving so in the appropriate lane on an expressway, you should have enough time to act.

Last edited by deehunk : 7th January 2018 at 21:22.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2018, 21:35   #34
bkc
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
This happened today morning between 8-9AM. A bunch of us were on a ride on the same route and we were luckily warned by car drivers coming from the opposite side. Decided to take an alternate route back home.

Not sure how/why the KTM rider hit the poor girl. But the mob behavior post is a scary situation to be caught in completely unawares.
So good on part of car drivers and it was an accident, why beat up the rider??

It is the carelessness of the parents, who left the kid to go on the road.

link of that incident
https://www.rushlane.com/bikers-beat...-12259868.html
bkc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2018, 21:58   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
If you are driving so in the appropriate lane on an expressway, you should have enough time to act.
Sir with due respect let's not generalize or come to conclusions here.
What exactly is the appropriate lane ? Rightmost u meant I presume. In which case, what if someone was crossing from the median ?
(Which happens on our so called expressways btw)

Also do note that my statement is just for your generic comment and not has been made in any way to the present lost life or incident for which we have not been presented the complete report.

I would prefer not to comment on that untill there is some proper information on the whole incident.

Rip for the poor soul who did not deserve this.

But stopping and destroying private bikes who are in no way related to this incident(if true) is just shameful

Last edited by vamsi2390 : 7th January 2018 at 21:59.
vamsi2390 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th January 2018, 22:03   #36
Team-BHP Support

Can see some people comment that the bikers are at fault. And I can see why someone would say that about the KTM guy who hit the kid. Yet to see any video that shows how the accident happened, so can only assume he was at fault.

But most important point to note -

The bikes that were damaged afterwards had nothing to do with the KTM.

They were just at the wrong place at the wrong time, arriving at the scene couple of minutes after the violence broke loose. And their biggest fault was that the had expensive bikes and were wearing riding gear. This is not a hearsay, but first person account from the riders of the second group that got stopped and assaulted.

Now justify the mob mentality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
A kids life is lost. If it was my Kid, i do not think my reaction would be too different but to see the guy responsible for that loss to pay an equal price till i realize and recover my sanity. But i am allowed to hit a zone of insanity and i think it is only fair to be a human/animal for that moment.

Not justifying what happened here but pointing fingers on either side will have supporters for either side.
Means the mob can stop any passing vehicles and do what they want? The casualty would have been a lot more had bikers been not active on social media and diverted many other bikes heading that way.

Some of those bikers who got stopped themselves alerted many people and helped save a lot many others along the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Like someone mentioned earlier, the locals would have been noticing this for a while and this was the trigger. I am surprised they didn’t burn the bikes.
Agreed.

There are just too many show off gangs on that particular road. Inline4 superbikes and no riding gear ripping till redline in every gear and with the loudest exhausts possible. These guys ruin the experience for everyone else too, and are too young mostly to realize the consequences of their actions.

But the bikes that got caught today (not the KTM) belongs to one of the better known disciplined riding groups in Bangalore, as far as i know. They were just at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Everytime i meet a bunch of rash riders on the road - I slow down and try to get some gap with them. For this reason that onlookers may mistake everyone for the same gang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
May the departed soul R.I.P, and i also wish good luck to the rider and hope he is given a green chit, if he wasn't at fault.
May the poor soul RIP. Sad to have a life lost this young.

Not sure about the KTM guy though. He's in trouble. Even if he recovers from the legal mess, the aftermath of such an incident will never let him ride in confidence again - even if he is not at fault. And if he is at fault - he deserves what comes his way too.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th January 2018 at 22:20.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 7th January 2018, 22:15   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi2390 View Post
Sir with due respect let's not generalize or come to conclusions here.
What exactly is the appropriate lane? Rightmost u meant I presume. In which case, what if someone was crossing from the median?
(Which happens on our so-called expressways btw)

I would prefer not to comment on that until there is some proper information on the whole incident.
Then blame the vehicle which obstructed your view to notice the pedestrian, there are no biased conclusions here. This is anticipated always on the highways on weekends. The violence is due to the years of frustration building up around Bangalore. Why? The inefficiency of Police and State government to punish the criminals. There was one gore accident which was covered up by Police near Karnataka-TN border about 2 years ago, a drunken truck driver killed 8 people at late night. He knocked down 2 people in Hosur and tried to escape on Attibele-Sarjapur road killing 6 more in the process. He was about to be burnt alive before Police brought the situation into control, the next day the driver was let scot free. There was another accident in which a woman was knocked down by African students in public, was anybody arrested or punished. The whole functionary of GOI came down to Bangalore to protect the culprit. It is true that rash driving exists on our highways and unless somebody does not get killed it is not taken seriously.

Last edited by deehunk : 7th January 2018 at 22:36.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2018, 22:25   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wonder where is this coming from; I am not too sure as to what kind of road this was.
In majority of the developed countries across the globe, pedestrians are expected to use the designated walkways and crossings.
Going by your rules, a pedestrian can pop up in the middle of a highway, get knocked down and then fight for his/her rights(if he/she survives) against the driver.
Not my rules at all. While right of way laws do differ, one thing is universal. If you hit a pedestrian and kill him you will be arrested and prosecuted for it.

If you convince the judge the dead person was at fault and you tried to avoid the accident you may get off and be spared jail time. But you will still be arrested and produced before a court.
hserus is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th January 2018, 22:28   #39
Team-BHP Support

Rumour - Child is alive and recovering.

Also hearing another version that the kid is alive. Not sure of the news yet, but is coming from multiple sources - though news channels earlier said she died on the spot.

Trying to validate it. Hope the poor child survives fine.

Rumour 2 -

Hearing 2 Police SI officers are suspended and 10 locals arrested for trashing bikers, attempt to murder and damage to public property.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th January 2018 at 22:40.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 7th January 2018, 22:40   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not my rules at all. While right of way laws do differ, one thing is universal. If you hit a pedestrian and kill him you will be arrested and prosecuted for it.

If you convince the judge the dead person was at fault and you tried to avoid the accident you may get off and be spared jail time. But you will still be arrested and produced before a court.
Only if you are at fault, in any nation with sensible road rules.
If I run over a jaywalking pedestrian, on a freeway tommorow in Melbourne, i can safely assume, i wont be prosecuted for it;
That's how laws should be.

In India, its the other way round!!!!!
akshay4587 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th January 2018, 22:46   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Only if you are at fault, in any nation with sensible road rules.
If I run over a jaywalking pedestrian, on a freeway tommorow in Melbourne, i can safely assume, i wont be prosecuted for it;
That's how laws should be.

In India, its the other way round!!!!!
Melbourne you say? That assumption isn’t as safe as you think it is, mate.

https://www.fullyloaded.com.au/indus...ns-break-rules
hserus is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th January 2018, 22:47   #42
Team-BHP Support

Can't add anything about the incident proper, but a related viewpoint.

I would like to know why authorities building highways without safe crossings aren't questioned or held responsible? Someone gets hurt/killed, people vent their frustration for a day or two, then go back to status quo.

With average highway speeds getting faster and human tendency to speed and jaywalk never really going away, why aren't we building safe crossings into highway design? Why depend solely on driver/rider maturity to protect pedestrians?

Rhetorical questions I know, in a country where safe crossings are equivalent to badly placed and randomly built unmarked speed breakers, that hurt/kill more than they save.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 7th January 2018 at 22:48.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th January 2018, 22:51   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Melbourne you say? That assumption isn’t as safe as you think it is, mate.

https://www.fullyloaded.com.au/indus...ns-break-rules
You may want to read the fine print, this particular incident was for a pedestrian who was knocked down at a crossing.
What we are discussing is jaywalking; There have been loads of cases,
where jaywalkers were knocked down, at places they were not supposed to be, and drivers were given clean chits.
My example was for a freeway where pedestrians are banned.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 7th January 2018 at 22:53.
akshay4587 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th January 2018, 22:56   #44
Senior - BHPian

The biker may or may not be at fault, but how can people tie him on the tree & thrash him? They could have just called the Police & get him arrested. No wonder most often, the bike/vehicle involved in such mishaps just flee to escape the mob fury!
And again those morons stop other bikers, thrash them & damage their expensive rides. Simply not acceptable!
On the other hand, Cars & high powered Bikes should be driven responsibly on highways / public roads.
finneyp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2018, 23:03   #45
BHPian

Once again, I see that part of the forum that shocks me with most people taking the side of those taking law into their own hands. If a bunch of educated people are supporting this cause, I can't even begin to think of the barbarians that don't even care about the law, especially in the rural areas. This makes me even more scared to get onto the road. It also makes me think, I will probably have to have to apply for a weapon license or carry something for my own and my family's safety. After all, in this country, I guess, might is right.

If you think you are going to retaliate in the same way that these barbarians did, if something was to happen to someone close to you, then, sorry for being blunt, you are not fit to live in a civilized society, especially being an educated person. You have no right to blame the pathetic situation this country is in, because you are a part of the problem too.

I'm quite shaken by this as I was planning to ride through that route today morning, that too on an RC 390! I thank my stars that I slept late yesterday night which made me wake up late today morning and skip the ride.

I'm someone who maintains sedate speeds most of the time. 80-95 on 4 lanes and 60-70 on 2 lanes and slow down significantly near intersections. Even with this, I have had a few close calls with pedestrians behaving worse than brainless animals on the highway running across the road at the last moment. Unless there is enough proof that the guy was at fault, I'm not gonna blame him. I'd blame the parents for not teaching the kid how to cross the road, especially a high speed highway. More than anything, the blame should go to the government for constructing poorly designed highways with a million crossings and intersections. The blame should go to them for handing out licenses to people without testing their knowledge properly about the rules to be followed.

My condolences to the little child who did not deserve this and to her mourning family. I have seen superbikers and luxury car owners ride and drive at crazy speeds. If they ended up killing someone due to their fault, they should face the law and deserve the punishment handed over by the law. They do not deserve to get beaten by a barbarian who does not belong in a civilized society.

PS It is due to incidents like this one that no one bothers to help an accident victim. What if an uncouth person comes and beats me up thinking I did it when I try to help a hit and run victim? I guess I would no longer blame people who look the other side when they see an accident victim lying by the side of the road.

Last edited by theredliner : 7th January 2018 at 23:16.
theredliner is offline   (27) Thanks

Most Viewed