Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2018, 20:32   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bangalore: Bikers being thrashed by locals after an accident

Mob mentality!

And who were the mob : Mostly illiterate, poor, daily wage labourers/unemployed locals

Who were they against: Upper class of socio economic strata, rich people, who may be like their employer or employer's employer. They ride bikes worth the mob's lifetime earning, wear gloves worth one male's monthly earning.

What is the emotion underneath:
1% anger due to lost life
99% envy, frustration over the rich, hatred over society due to poverty and illiteracy, they find pleasure in letting out frustration on the riders.

Who is at fault for the death? God knows! Heck, accidents happen every minute.

What should we do as a rider? Slow the heck down at village/town intersections, Just be extra careful and just keep distance from mobs. They dont like you, they dont like your prosperity, they dont like the fact that you are educated and employed, they dont like the fact that you live a better life, they absolutely dont like your million rupee motorcycle or 40k riding gear.

I feel bad for the riders who got into mess the other day. Unlucky!

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 9th January 2018 at 20:34.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 21:25   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Mob mentality!

And who were the mob : Mostly illiterate, poor, daily wage labourers/unemployed locals

99% envy, frustration over the rich, hatred over society due to poverty and illiteracy, they find pleasure in letting out frustration on the riders.
Really?? When I read this thread I see mob mentality in many, without knowing the facts people are taking stance and fighting with each other
mrvenka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 21:46   #123
BHPian

Extremely sad that the life of a young child was lost in this unfortunate incident. May the departed soul Rest in peace.

Multiple parties can be blamed for this incident but I think we should all stop speculating and wait for the details to come our and hope that justice is served.

However, whatever said and done beating up bikers unrelated to the incident is completely wrong! Typical mob mentality! Animalistic behaviour!
Paradiddle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 21:57   #124
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
They ride bikes worth the mob's lifetime earning, wear gloves worth one male's monthly earning. They dont like you, they dont like your prosperity, they dont like the fact that you are educated and employed, they dont like the fact that you live a better life, they absolutely dont like your million rupee motorcycle or 40k riding gear. !
Just so true, every-time someone from masses asks the price of your helmet/bike or riding jacket, their eyes pop out, so that is fairly understandable. As is racing an i20 against a Mercedes or your 200cc bike against a 200bhp bike.

Be cautious, be careful and I nowadays don't try to go over 120kmph, that too for short bursts, be it bike or car, try to keep it around 90kmph on open stretches else a notch or two below that.

That mob which attacks anyone is no one from the grieving party, but can be anyone, the puncture wala on the road, the fuel dispenser guy, just anyone.

Be safe than being sorry.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 21:58   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvenka View Post
Really?? When I read this thread I see mob mentality in many, without knowing the facts people are taking stance and fighting with each other
No one is fighting with anyone here. We express our opinion. If you disagree with mine, we agree to disagree and move on. That is how any forum works. This is not a mob, but an educated population which is open for discussion.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 9th January 2018 at 22:01.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 22:52   #126
BHPian

As per newspaper reports today http://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.co...w/62406783.cms:
1) "not jaywalking" - "....a speeding biker, a techie from Bengaluru, rammed into another bike, killing an 11-year-old girl riding pillion on it....according to Vijayapura Circle Police Inspector, the mishap occurred around 9 am on Sunday when the girl identified as Anju V ( 11) was riding with her father Venugopal, a local resident, and the duo was trying to cross the road....."
2) The day before, another 13 year old girl had fallen victim to a speeding car nearby on the NH, post which local residents had blocked the NH for an hour demanding speed-breakers.
3) Police have written to NHAI recommending speed-breakers in that location.

Many people who have been in and/or survived accidents know that many accidents happen in split-seconds. If people knew the spot was dangerous, I believe most people will try to approach with caution. Not sure if there were danger or accident-prone-area boards around that location.
manij is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 23:25   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Whatever has occurred, if there is a criminal wrong done, the law of the land and its enforcement needs to be allowed to prevail. Taking law into our own hands makes us no different than animals.

The mob mentality is condemnable !
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 23:52   #128
BHPian

Very unfortunate, in every respect, for everyone who lost someone or something. Most of the new toll highways cut across villages without providing an alternate route.

I do see a pedestrian crossing in the video, suggesting that it happened near a zebra crossing. There are so many examples of badly designed roads on toll ways esp zebra crossings and U turns in a corner.

I have seen some insane places where they have these. Will try to post pics of them.

Due to these issues I started to ride and drive long distance during nights, which most of my friends have started doing few years back.

Even though we have toll roads and so called free ways, always expect to have something/someone to cross.

Drive/ride safe friends, do not cross 70% of capability, machine,man and the unexpected element you might find out of the blue.

Quote:
Mob mentality!

Who is at fault for the death? God knows! Heck, accidents happen every minute.
I feel bad for the riders who got into mess the other day. Unlucky!
Prasanna, you have answered all the questions. One reason I had asked you to ride more carefully.

Last edited by SDP : 10th January 2018 at 08:37. Reason: Trimming quoted post
YaeJay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 23:56   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manij View Post
3) Police have written to NHAI recommending speed-breakers in that location.
There they go. Always an easy way out. Build a huuuge back-breaking bump. And, speed-breakers on a highway? That's a first, I guess. Our internet speeds are increasing and vehicular speeds are reducing to crawls (although BHP/Torques are also increasing). I wonder what's the point of buying high-powered cars and bikes in this country? I used to see 100 kph sign on highway out of my town. Then, they reduced it to 80 a few years back and now it's just 70 which is very religiously monitored by using speed-radars. But, with fall in cruise speeds, the number of accidents hasn't lessened. If anything, it shot up. So much for the speed-breakers! No, there never will be an attempt to teach traffic sense to villagers by authorities. But then again, I'm sure, authorities' attempts to teach these people will fall on deaf ears, as can be seen in their casual approach towards everything.

Last edited by aah78 : 10th January 2018 at 00:19. Reason: Typo.
pgsagar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2018, 01:54   #130
BHPian

While I'm sad for the little girl and also feel sorry for the biker and rest of bikers, who were trashed (along with their bikes damaged).

If it was a group of bikers, then would understand the mob mentality in getting violent with the entire group. But let's say instead of a biker hitting the little girl, if it was a car

-> I'm sure reaction from mob towards the car driver would have been the same as this bike driver, but would the mob damage all other cars passing by there after (like they damaged the bikes)?

I think its the view of violent mob that, riding expensive bikes with all gear is for thrill and also endangering lives of rest on the roads -> which got them to damage and trash the rest of bikers who were travelling on same road (although not in group).
Old 10th January 2018, 06:43   #131
Senior - BHPian

My request is please don't make this thread look like a fight between rich v/s poor or educated v/s illiterates. The reaction of the mob is only due to the nuisance that bikers have created in that area which would have been a peaceful village. This is happening everywhere and there may be an accident somewhere else in the near future. What is the use of teaching traffic safety to villagers when the so-called educated and prosperous urban counterparts lack discipline while driving in the city or to maintain lane discipline at the toll gates or drive in a zig-zag fashion on highways?
deehunk is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th January 2018, 06:47   #132
Senior - BHPian

-third world country
-first world bhp/tonne machines

What could go wrong, aye?

On another note since I ride at a healthy 50 kmph (the end of 'green' mileage zone in my 99.27 cc bike) I could spot these sort of commotions at a distance and could turn back long before any mob could reach me.

''It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society''. Let's pretend we didn't hear that, shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
I had written on some other thread about Bharatmala that future focus should be on railways and not roads anymore.
+1. We cannot keep expanding the lanes of the highways. A very strong network of railways/metro trains is what can work for our population density.

Last edited by ramzsys : 10th January 2018 at 06:52.
ramzsys is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2018, 08:22   #133

Felt compelled to share my 2 cents...coming from a fellow biker and petrol head. It's just incredibly sad that something like this happened. Sad that a little kiddo lost her life, sad that the family lost a daughter/sister and sad that a biker also misjudged and has to live with what he's done. That being said and watching the video, I think this has highlighted gaps as so many levels. Especially so as our country is getting mobile and with more road networks snaking through little towns and cities and the whole automotive travel scene for pleasure and practicality growing.

1. Infrastructure: I think many of us who have driven around and done out of town trips have surely had some close calls through areas like these little villages bisected by highways and even in crowded cities. Gap - the government (whichever department is responsible) just hasn't thought about adequate safety crossings like underpasses or bridges or anything for these areas that are bisected by dangerous highways. Add signage that's effective and warns people to drop their speed for example. And, not jut limited to that! Let's be practical, ours is a crowded country and people need to move from one side to another across these little hamlets.

2. Law enforcement: I wish we had a law enforcement response system that was effective at preventing mob fury and just make sure that incidents like this are handled fairly and without all the added drama and collateral damage. There's enough grief with the incident as is to contend with. Gap - response and effectiveness of law enforcement.

3. Our road manners as drivers and pedestrians: I'm included in this. I won't excuse myself because I'm writing this. We all need to make sure we're considerate of the "other" in public spaces. Slow down or stop when you come to an intersection or traffic light, slow down when driving through such crowded areas, it's frustrating for us petrol heads for sure but better safe than sorry, right? Pedestrians too, look when crossing, make sure that you cross in the right places.

Finally, kids are always going to be kids and not understand how to cross and things like that, its up to us to make sure that we excercise caution (the biker) and also up to the adults of the kids household to make sure that kids aren't left unsupervised in such risky places...at least try hard not to!

I hope someday, we learn to be considerate drivers and pedestrians and learn to treat each other well. Again, its incredibly sad that this happened for all involved and I just hope that the family is able to forgive and the biker is able to understand the magnitude of what happened and move on. I know it's easier said than done, I'm not in any of those people's shoes and it must be painful to say the least. And, I really hope our road manners change.
DH82 Tiger Moth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2018, 09:06   #134
BHPian

This is not something new. Accident by a vehicle, either the driver absconds or reprimanded by the locals and in many cases beaten till the police arrives.

But, targeting the same type of vehicle and thrashing them is a big NO. We are all emotionally tied but need to have some kind of common sense.

Accidents are not intentional and that's why its called an Accident.

Sorry for the Biker\s and RIP the child.

PS. Very surprising how come the real truth hasn't surfaced still, which will calm down this post and end the speculations.
Old 10th January 2018, 09:51   #135
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
hatred over society due to poverty and illiteracy, they find pleasure in letting out frustration on the riders.
I somewhat agree with your post. Reminded me of this video where Sunil Dutt explains to Nawazuddin Siddiqui why the mob is really beating him up (pay attention from the 40 second point):

Last edited by GTO : 10th January 2018 at 09:52.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks