Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2018, 15:55   #166
BHPian

re: Bangalore: Bikers being thrashed by locals after an accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
A guy is riding a commuter motorcycle (nothing fancy here) in the driving on the wrong side of the road without any safety gear
Hey, did you not notice his Iron Man suit. It looked like a shirt, but trust me it is made from a deadly fabric which is a million times stronger than steel and also as flexible as rubber. Moreover he has an invisible shield (like USS Enterprise has in Star Trek) which would protect him against an impact even with an asteroid. I blame that car and that bike guy who was capturing the video. Simply wearing seatbelts, riding gear and driving at safe speeds has no meaning.

I vote to make this guy the World Safety Ambassador and post him to the UN. He also deserves a Nobel prize for safety; if such a category doesn't exists then I further vote to have this created.

I humbly use both my smileys here in an effort to express my utter exasperation.

And please don't call him a pin-head. A tip of the pin has an area of 0.01 millimeter squared. If this bloke had brains of even that size, he would have been on the other side of the road.

Stop the planet, I need to get off!!

Last edited by ptushar : 11th January 2018 at 15:56.
ptushar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 20:25   #167
Team-BHP Support

Have a look at this guy's attitude

Bangalore: Bikers being thrashed by locals after an accident-conv.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 13th January 2018 at 13:18. Reason: Cropping image to show only relevant bits
Sheel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 21:03   #168
BHPian

Re: Bikes being thrashed by the locals

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
Ditto for vehicle buying patterns. Ditto for apeing the West. Can anyone assume roads in our country are the same as the USA ?

Mob mentality exists in all parts of the country, especially when mindless bikers speed to glory. Would this biker have stopped, in case he did not skid and fall ? Chances are slim. That's what is called mentality. That's what is generalization of thought !
Go watch motovloggers from the USA and you will see the stupidity that exists while riding in the USA. The stuff I deal with on "pristine amazing US roads" whether im in my car or on the motorcycle is hilarious. And unfortunately because of California's lack of traffic demand planning, the Bay Area festers with the issue. Just this morning I dealt with four people not using crosswalks, two cars with no headlights on, and three cars trying to go into my lane.

Mob mentality exists even here in CA especially when people try to justify there mistake (happens here in the Bay Area all the time). We just have really "strong" LEOs (law enforcement) which usually leans on the biker.
Bhatman510 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 09:55   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhatman510 View Post
We just have really "strong" LEOs (law enforcement) which usually leans on the biker.
I think this is the fundamental difference. Obviously there will be people all over the world who will break traffic rules. When the chances are greater that they will be caught and punished, it eventually leads to a modification in behavior. Our traffic cops in India are pretty much overwhelmed and we need far better enforcement and zero-tolerance for rule breaking before the situation improves here.
Old 12th January 2018, 10:13   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
I think this is the fundamental difference. Obviously there will be people all over the world who will break traffic rules. When the chances are greater that they will be caught and punished, it eventually leads to a modification in behavior.
Also, our traffic fines are not really deterrents. Till the time that fines for traffic offences continue to be affordable, there are minimal consequences for violating the rules.

For disregarding a traffic signal, the official fine is 100 bucks when caught. This is before any off hand 'negotiations'. The amount of the fine itself has probably not changed for decades; if I recall correctly. Till there is a fear of the vehicle or driving license being impounded or points docked on your license for violations or paying a steep unaffordable fine, the free for all will continue unabated.
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 11:45   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Also, our traffic fines are not really deterrents. Till the time that fines for traffic offences continue to be affordable, there are minimal consequences for violating the rules.
It is not even a question of fines any more. Villagers own the road.
My daily commute is to Pune IT park at Hinjewadi. Supposedly a developed area but actually a glorified village with newer buildings. Police are present at all intersections and yet the villagers continue to flout absolutely all rules in front of them - going wrong way, 3 or 4 seated, breaking signals: the poorer ones are on two wheeler while "samaj sevaks" are in Fortuners and Audis.

And I dont blame the kids - they learn everything from their parents and with such examples set for them what can we expect?

Once while waiting at a signal, I asked a policeman why they do not take any action against these people and he just walked away!
timuseravan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 15:15   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
For disregarding a traffic signal, the official fine is 100 bucks when caught. This is before any off hand 'negotiations'. The amount of the fine itself has probably not changed for decades; if I recall correctly. Till there is a fear of the vehicle or driving license being impounded or points docked on your license for violations or paying a steep unaffordable fine, the free for all will continue unabated.
On the topic of fine or should I say "negotiations", yes they are indeed not a deterrent. Recently, one of my friends did not renew his Bike insurance and when I insisted him to do, he told that he will just pay 100 rs "fine" to the police and that will be get caught may be once or twice a year. So, his reason was that he will just pay 100-200 rs, instead for renewal he may have to pay well over 1000 rs. I was like
Old 12th January 2018, 22:55   #173
BHPian

Sad to read about the death of a young kid. But what's done is done, there's no changing that now. May she find peace wherever she is.

Coming to a query which I had ever since I read about this accident on the news, what do I (or you) do if I ever find myself in such a scenario? What I mean is that as a passerby on a motorcycle who are being stopped by the mob and beaten. Especially if I have my better half or someone other riding pillion with me.

One scenario is that if I notice a mob from a distance, then turn around and find an alternate route. But sometimes situations like cannot be avoided. As you cannot really distinguish from a distance what a mob is really doing until you get up close with them. And you can't really ride off, and risk falling off or hitting someone from the mob if someone tries to be a hero and jumps in front of the bike.

Is it advisable to carry a weapon, not a gun, but like a baton or a stick?

Last edited by maker_of_things : 12th January 2018 at 22:56.
Old 12th January 2018, 22:58   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maker_of_things View Post
Is it advisable to carry a weapon, not a gun, but like a baton or a stick?
Absolutely not!

What ever weapon you have, it is just going to infuriate the mob further.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th January 2018, 20:28   #175
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bangalore: Bikers being thrashed by locals after an accident

This invite is spreading in various Bangalore based biker whatsapp groups.

Bangalore: Bikers being thrashed by locals after an accident-img20180114wa0007.jpg
Quote:
Good evening Guys.. we (Riders Repulic) had a meeting today at Century Club to discuss about what had happened last week end to our riders.. This could have happened to anyone and for these situations not to occur again, we have decided to have a Bike Parade on 21st Jan on the same stretch.. we have decided to invite each and every rider for this.. Therefore request everyone in this group to make themselves available for this ride as this is for our own benefit.. No one has the rights to touch any rider.. We may be wrong, but this can be a start for our new tomorrow..
Personally I'm not very sure about this. Rather than being a show of unity, villagers might perceive it as a show of wealth / power / strength further infuriating them.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 14th January 2018 at 20:37.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th January 2018, 22:12   #176
Team-BHP Support

^ Would have been better had 10-15 riders would have gone, met the affected family as well as few people from there and explained there side of story as well as heard their grievances. (If they have to do something)

With ample police protection if I may add.
Old 14th January 2018, 22:17   #177
Senior - BHPian

I hope this does not escalate into India's reverse version of the hollister riot
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollister_riot
Old 14th January 2018, 23:04   #178
Senior - BHPian

So they're throwing their weight around, now villagers & local authorities there will watch these people and they all should get scared of the spectacle. Bullying is supposed to resolve the issue ? Sick.

They need to send a simple message, "We are not the terrible people that you generalise us to be". For that, the necessary PR would be far different from what is being planned. They're afterall aggrieved villagers, it'll not be hard to connect with them.

They better be careful. Elections are close & Villagers are a vote bank. Urban citizens, not as much. If the villagers convince local MLA, they'll be able to put up quite a formidable opposition & make it look like "Rich bikers threaten & bully villagers".

Edit : They should do some CSR. Take 10-15 calm minded people & organise some events in a controlled environment. Paint them a village board, donate some children's play articles, fund a medical camp. (Spend some money. If they're an elite club, they should behave like one).

Edit 2 : I'm not into PR, but still I guess a regular PR guy should know better ideas.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 14th January 2018 at 23:30.
GrammarNazi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th January 2018, 23:27   #179
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
This is stupidity at most. They are not thinking what would mob/villagers think. There is no need to show the strength, as the the same strength will not with them, when they drive in smaller group or alone.

It needs more of education and discussions to resolve these sort issues. Show of strength is certainly not the solution.

What happens if 1000 villagers gather to face them, worst attack them. Aren't these bikers creating another Law and order problem and trouble to themselves, have they taken police permission? If they do this rally or show of strength, they would loose their legal advantage.

Rather they should work with police, identify those who man handled the riders earlier, bring them to justice.
Old 14th January 2018, 23:32   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Personally I'm not very sure about this. Rather than being a show of unity, villagers might perceive it as a show of wealth / power / strength further infuriating them.
I got a totally different version of this invite - group bike ride on 21st across the city with Police support to promote safe riding. But lets see what happens - i dont believe half the things going around on whatsapp anyways.

Last edited by ethanhunt123 : 14th January 2018 at 23:34.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks