Team-BHP - Only ISI Helmet, says Bangalore Traffic Police. EDIT: Order reintroduced
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Ride Safe (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ride-safe/)
-   -   Only ISI Helmet, says Bangalore Traffic Police. EDIT: Order reintroduced (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ride-safe/194630-only-isi-helmet-says-bangalore-traffic-police-edit-order-reintroduced.html)

This warrants a thread.

Any biker wearing an expensive DoT or ECE approved helmet will now have to switch to a probably cheaper ISI helmet.

Mods :
Please merge if there is already another thread.

Quote:

Bengaluru traffic police have turned over-zealous with their crackdown on substandard helmets by suggesting that ones that meet global standards - such as United States' DoT and Europe's ECE - are not acceptable. Only riders who wear ISI-marked helmets will not be penalized when the rule comes into force from February 1, police said.

Replying to a tweet last week, police had at first suggested that helmets ratified by DoT and ECE - which are approved by the Bureau of Indian Standards, the body that issues ISI certification - are legal. However, R Hitendra, additional commissioner of police (traffic), told TOI: "We will not accept such helmets. We will only accept those with an ISI mark."
Source & Full Article

Seriously or it is a joke. Anyway, just needs a sticker job now. Like the police have any clue about ISI sticker vs DOT sticker

I wish some of these decisions are made by educated police and not the ones who joined the force on recommendation.

There are so many educated ones.

This should go into one of those rules which do not make any sense. :Shockked:
:OT I think we should have a separate thread for weirdest and senseless rules which have been implemented based on the whims and fancies of someone who has no idea what he is talking about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy (Post 4343751)
Any biker wearing an expensive DoT or ECE approved helmet will now have to switch to a probably cheaper ISI helmet.

Same folks (BTP) had allowed usage of DOT/ECE certified helmets just few days back, what's sudden U-turn?

Below screenshot from this thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4341347)

Quote:

Originally Posted by VW2010 (Post 4343755)
Seriously or it is a joke. Anyway, just needs a sticker job now. Like the police have any clue about ISI sticker vs DOT sticker

I wish some of these decisions are made by educated police and not the ones who joined the force on recommendation.

Exactly my thoughts as I was reading through the news snippet. I will certainly do a sticker job on my DOT and ECE approved helmet. Though that could be a fraudulent move, I still know my helmet is safe enough. Once we experience the safety, the comfort and the finish levels of the imported helmets, its very difficult to downgrade to these ISI helmets.

We have too many illogical, irrational thinkers, we will keep seeing and hearing such news.

What next..? Only made in India cars that meet our crash requirements (ARAI: huh, what's a crash requirement? :eek:) would be allowed to be sold here? Those with NCAP rating would be banned?

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4341347)
Big relief. clap:

I don't think so.
This was in today's newspaper.:Frustrati

Only ISI Helmet, says Bangalore Traffic Police. EDIT: Order reintroduced-img_20180123_071110_01.jpg

What next?

Ban ABS & Airbags on cars and insist on Nimbu-Mirchi Safety Standards?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy (Post 4343751)

I refuse to switch. I plan to just pay the fine rather than discard my DOT-certified Sol helmet (I hope they don't plan to confiscate the non-compliant helmets and give them the road-roller treatment, like they did to modified silencers a few weeks back).

But according to the twitter link, BTP has clarified that helmets with DOT and ECE standards can be used.

http://twitter.com/blrcitytraffic/st...90568655941632
Only ISI Helmet, says Bangalore Traffic Police. EDIT: Order reintroduced-img20180123wa0003.jpg

What spectacular buffoons!

These roadside vendors must've gone to the local politician; told them how these big bikers wear expensive helmets due to which sales of their sub-standard Rs. 100/- "ISI certified" helmets are falling. So, this smart politician decides to make an agenda out of it, convinces the hare-brained judiciary and law enforcement and voila! we have a rule.

I'm not a biker, hence the question: are there any ISI-rated helmets that also conform to DoT or ECE?

I'd rather hand over a 100 rupee note at every cop who'd stop me for wearing the best-rated helmet and not an ISI-rated one, than compromise my safety.

Does the new rule mention anything about wearing full face helmets ?

I recently purchased a Studds open face helmet (for running errands only). Hope it doesn't get wasted.

I have another full face helmet for long distance commutes. (Although I prefer the car for long distance commutes)

Rohan

Quote:

Originally Posted by libranof1987 (Post 4343799)

I'm not a biker, hence the question: are there any ISI-rated helmets that also conform to DoT or ECE?

My Royal Enfield branded helmet (Manufactured by Vega) has both DoT & ISI certifications so there appear to be some that qualify. But what happens to helmets that are far safer but don't have the ISI mark? This appears to be a textbook case of following the law in letter but not in spirit.
I was going to upgrade to a better helmet now that I'm riding long distance but it looks like I'd better wait a bit.:Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by libranof1987 (Post 4343799)

Yes, Axor helmets via Vega, check here.

Well, I’m pretty sure they won’t stop a motorcyclist wearing a full face helmet. They’ll mostly target the half face ones.

That said, it’s a very illogical move and should be definitely be challenged in higher courts.

This basically gives them more power to extort more money from owners of expensive machines.

I believe all the biking groups should get together and make a representation in front of the Police Commissioner and the Chief Minister/Transport Minister about this issue.

We can make fun of the cops as much as we want. But like the Addl. Commissioner says here, they are just following whats there in the motor vehicle rules.

If the rules need to be changed, the affected parties should initiate discussions around it.