Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2019, 11:01   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Non-ISI Helmets banned in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik.guru View Post
It has been more than 4 months since any news of this issue has resurfaced. Has anyone come across any updates?
I am using both my DOT/ECE helmets on a regular basis all over Bangalore. Havent caused any issue nor is there any checking going on. The latest update I heard was that the Bengaluru Traffic Police was not the competent authority to decide the legality of a helmet. Going by the sticker on the helmet was not a fool proof method either since the stickers were easily replicable. Hence if the ban must be enforced then the sale must be curbed or the competent authority must check for these helmets on the streets. Until either happens, its good to go.
Old 3rd March 2019, 22:32   #47
BHPian

I found an interesting video from FortNine . For those who are not familiar with this channel, here's a description in their own words
Quote:
FortNine creates motorcycle and gear reviews with a rare dose of honesty. We also share accessible and incredible places to go ride. Our goal is to entertain our audience, but also to stay truthful.

Gear up for your next adventure at fortnine.ca:
https://frt9.co/98au9e
The first part of the video talks about the components that go into making of a modern helmet and the DOT, ECE & SHARP certifications. His humorous narration and knowledge is what makes his videos quite interesting and a treat to watch. Here are his other videos.

Here goes

Cheers !

Video courtesy : www.youtube.com, FortNine

Last edited by Ironhide : 3rd March 2019 at 22:35. Reason: inserting link
Ironhide is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 12:38   #48
BHPian

Looks like the Bangalore police are at it again. A snippet from today's newspaper. Now with hefty penalties, I think this would worry many.
Attached Images

Xaos636 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 12:48   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos636 View Post
Looks like the Bangalore police are at it again. A snippet from today's newspaper. Now with hefty penalties, I think this would worry many.
There was this line from a TV series - "One who doesnt know history is bound to repeat it". These police seem to be doing the same. Last year, the Bureau of Indian Standards stated that the police is no competent authority to decide on the genuinity of the helmets. Yet, they want to enforce such stuff. Not long before the lobby of imported helmet dealers take this to court and suspend the drive again. So now, if I put an ISI sticker on any helmet, the police cannot verify whether it is genuine or not. As simple as that.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 17:35   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Last year, the Bureau of Indian Standards stated that the police is no competent authority to decide on the genuinity of the helmets.
Sure, but good luck arguing with that when you get stopped by cops threatening to impound your bike
Old 3rd June 2021, 10:47   #51
Senior - BHPian

Non-ISI helmets banned from June 1, 2021

The blanket ban on non-ISI helmets has come into effect from June 1, 2021.

Non-ISI Helmets banned in India-download.jpg

The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways had issued a notification in November last year, stating that 2-wheeler helmets were included under compulsory Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) certification. This meant, only BIS certified helmets would be allowed to be sold in the country. It was also notified that the sale of imported helmets would be allowed under the revised rules, as long as those helmets met BIS norms.

Non-compliance with the rules will attract heavy penalties. A person, who manufactures, stores, sells or imports a non-ISI helmet will be punished with imprisonment of up to 1 year or a fine of Rs. 1 lakh - Rs. 5 lakh.

This is not the first time that the government has banned the sale of non-ISI helmets. In 2018, a similar announcement was made. At the time, even international brands had to adhere to ISI standards.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 3rd June 2021 at 10:51.
TusharK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 14:12   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Non-ISI helmets banned from June 1, 2021

This is simply outrageous. I wouldnot trust my Dog's life with an ISI helmet. If you cant force in-house manufacturers to produce quality helmets, BAN imported one. You wont be a loser and nobody to judge your performance when there is no competition at all.
Tuisha110HP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 14:30   #53
BHPian

Yeah right!!! Fine a person who is sitting in the car alone for not wearing a mask and fine a person who is wearing a Dot certified helmet.

Our govt sure does know how to make money out of taxpayers.
frewper is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 14:44   #54
BHPian

Can anyone clarify how is the government enforcing that imported helmets certify to BIS norms. Have certain models been submitted for certification and met the current ISI standards?
Old 3rd June 2021, 15:33   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
Can anyone clarify how is the government enforcing that imported helmets certify to BIS norms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post

Non-compliance with the rules will attract heavy penalties. A person, who manufactures, stores, sells or imports a non-ISI helmet will be punished with imprisonment of up to 1 year or a fine of Rs. 1 lakh - Rs. 5 lakh.
Government is enforcing a blanket ban. They want the manufactures to get BIS certification done at their end to be able to sell their helmets in India.

Govt doesn't care to check if the imported helmets meet the norms. Question is will the international players spend time and effort to get this certification done? Is India such a big market for them?

One grey area is that there's no mention of using a non-ISI superior helmet on the streets of India!

Big players may continue importing premium lids stating that this is a track tool and not meant for road usage. Small importers will dry up over time!

The SMK (Studds) & Axor (Vega) range of helmets are the target here, alongwith Steelbird completes the trinity! They can easily put ISI mark on their range.

In addition, RE helmets come with ECE + ISI certification.

In my opinion, GOI should add value crteria to the above ban, helmets less than 5k, it should be ISI certified. Above it, anyways no commuter is buying helmets at the first place. Leaving the higher range to enthusiasts like us! Everyone is happy

But as a consumer I want the best in every price range!

Last edited by surjaonwheelz : 3rd June 2021 at 15:35.
surjaonwheelz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 16:16   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Bringing in a rule like this is pretty one-sided. There are enough road-side sellers selling cheap helmet look-alike topi's even today. And many people buy these because they want to escape being caught by the cops for not wearing a helmet. Unless this is eliminated, or people start focusing on safer helmets for their own protection, the BIS for Helments is of not much use.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 16:30   #57
Team-BHP Support

• After the tyre restrictions - superbike tyres have become expensive and hard to get.
  • Petrol is at 100 Rs/litre.
  • Now quality helmets will be hard to get as well. Hope police won't start hunting expensive helmets once again, in search of an ISI stamping.

Good times for the biker!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 16:38   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

I think this was discussed earlier in 2018 when this policy was first announced. The Government can only regulate the manufacture and sale of these helmets. But the traffic police cannot enforce this rule on the field since they do not have the capacity to verify if a helmet is ISI/BIS certified or not. At least not like a roadside enforcement which the attempted earlier. In simple words, they cannot distinguish between a real ISI sticker and a fake sticker in order to be able to levy a fine. Hence my guess is that for those who already have non ISI helmets(all my three helmets are DOT/ECE) there is not much of a problem.

On the other hand, this will curb the sale of such helmets unless the manufacturer/distributor decides to obtain BIS certification. I think this shouldn't be difficult to obtain, especially when the DOT/ECE helmets can exceed the standards set. It would rather help curb cheap helmets sold on the roadside and prevent their sale. For now, we can continue using the Non ISI helmets we already have.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 20:39   #59
BHPian

Simple solution for those who already have non-ISI premium helmets, buy a ISI sticker and stick it on back surface!
gauravanekar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 15:33   #60
Senior - BHPian

STUDDS has plans of launching its IPO in the Stock Market.

"Loha Garam Hai... Maar Do Hathoda..!!"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks