Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2021, 17:52   #76
BHPian

Re: Non-ISI Helmets banned in India

Is this rule is still in place or it is scrapped?
Please let us know if there are any updates on this.
Old 22nd December 2021, 22:10   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
Is this rule is still in place or it is scrapped?
Please let us know if there are any updates on this.
The rule is still in place.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 00:01   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
You are right in that the target for the government move was the road side vendors that sold helmets that cost Rs 400. We got caught in the crossfire. The unintended consequence of noble intentions.
They say you should never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. However, in politics, assume the reverse.

This whole ISI fiasco is quite transparently an attempt to push foreign helmets out of the competition, with a side effect of giving cops another way to hassle responsible riders for the crime of investing in safety. To me this is plainly obvious to the point where it doesn't even need explanation. Are the Indian media's propaganda efforts really that effective that so many Team-BHPians genuinely believe that our noble gormint is interested in our personal safety and health? Please tell me that these comments were veiled sarcasm and I didn't realize it.

That said, so far I haven't heard of anyone getting hassled for having a good helmet without an ISI mark. At least not here in Delhi. So perhaps this is one of those laws that will end up not really being enforced in any meaningful way.
marcussantiago is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 15:38   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
After the initial furore and anger, it looks like a lot of riders have now come around to accepting that there is nothing wrong with India imposing an ISI standard for helmets. There are two strong points that favour this
- International companies dont need to dumb down their products to meet Indian standards and
- It gets the Indian companies to up their game and become more competitive.

Personally, I dont mind the ruling at all. Tomorrow, if I create a product and sell it in the UK, I will have to meet their local regulations. I cant claim that my product meets Indian standards and hence it is fit to be sold in UK, without proof (this is the important part). Anyways, its been debated to the moon and back on every whatsapp motorcyclist group.

Onto some positive news. From what I hear
- There might be an update by the government that allows for ECE approved helmets to be sold in India. We will have to wait for a few months to see how this plays out.
- Some of the international companies have started the process for getting ISI approvals.
- One of the companies that is rumoured to have done so is AGV. Apparently the entry level K1 sells very well in India. So they are probably getting the approvals for that.
- This is a surprise, but Suomy is also going to be making an entry into the market with ISI helmets. From what I understand, Suomy, NHK and KYT are all made in the same plant and they have made progress with regards to getting the required approvals.

@ am1m - it is an open secret that the owner of a large helmet manufacturing company in India was behind the push to get all helmets sold in India to be ISI certified. If you dont believe me, look no further than the absolutely ridiculous 1,200 gram weight cap that was proposed earlier. How many internationally sold helmets do we know that would be clear this inane constraint? Fortunately, better sense has prevailed and the government has struck off that requirement.

You are right in that the target for the government move was the road side vendors that sold helmets that cost Rs 400. We got caught in the crossfire. The unintended consequence of noble intentions.
I am not sure how you seem to have reached the conclusion that lot of riders have come around to accepting the fact that helmets have to be ISI certified. The number of posts expressing outrage is far more than the ones expressing acceptability to this regressive decision.

The helmet certifications that are available are -
  • DOT
  • ECE
  • Snell
  • ISI (India)

DOT has it's own standards and is overseen by NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration). They have their own system of tests - like Crash Protection, Penetration Level, Drop tests etc. This is a self certification - which means helmet manufacturers can test their helmets in their own lab and ensure the outlined standards are met and self certify their helmets. DOT will do random tests on available helmets in the market to check if the standards are met. (if not met, the manufacturers will be penalised)

Similarly, ECE (which is in Europe) has it's own system of tests very different from tests performed by DOT. Also, the helmets are tested in their own lab and certified before it goes on sale with their certification. In most, middle weight, litre class community of bikers, the preference is highly towards ECE certified helmets for this reason - their method of testing and all helmets with ECE certification are up to that high standard (unlike DOT where this cannot be the case because of self certification).

https://law.resource.org/pub/in/bis/....4151.1993.pdf

The above link will take you to the requirements to meet IS:4151 certification. If you go through all the clauses you can understand that almost all the requirements outlined are the same requirements for ECE certification. The tests required to be performed on the helmets are all the same as the one outlined by ECE. Even the foreward on this document accepts that they have looked at ECE standards to define ISI standards for Helmets back in 1960's. In the last 5 to 6 decades nothing has changed and ISI certification requirements - like materials to the test conducted on helmets is nothing but a shameless (yet smart) copy of ECE standards.

Everyone rejoicing in pride and thumping chests about some new Indian standard for helmet certification - Let me break it to you that those Indian Standards are nothing but a near 100% replica of ECE certification standards.

Now, coming to the weight limit - if you cap the weight of the helmet at 1200 gms, some of the brands that wont make the cut would be - Arai, Shoei, AGV, MT, Caberg, HJC, Acerbis etc. That shouldn't be the area of focus to understand what's happening but you should focus on the brands that will make the cut. It would be - as you guessed - Studds, Vega, entry level models of KYT, Bell, HJC etc.

This introduction of the 1200 gm weight limit is the give away of the fact that the new requirement is nothing but lobbying of some Indian Helmet Manufacturer to keep out growing competition and demand for high quality helmets from the growing space of leisure biking among the youth of today. This one clause should tell you there was no noble intention of attacking street vendors selling unsafe helmets. This is intended to attack brands selling some of the safest helmets at the most affordable prices which Indian manufacturers could not dream of matching.

If you do not own a middle weight or above category of vehicle this might not be significant for you. However, if you are a tourer with less than 500cc and owner of middle-weight/litre class/superbike then you would understand how dangerous and detrimental this new rule is. This is an added layer of bureaucracy to make entry of competent helmets from Europe into India. Brands like MT, HJC are offering excellent value for money and luring safety conscious customer into their fold. Once you use these brands there is no stepping back into products offered by Indian Companies. But in return does Indian manufacturer offer a competing product? No, They lobby to cut out their competitor (which is okay) but in return denying safe helmets to a community of bikers that need it the most.

IMO, no one is doing a favour by rejoicing ISI requirements for helmets sold in India when the entire document of ISI requirement seems to be a copy of ECE.

When you have decided the whole IS4151 standard for helmet certification based on ECE, what is this requirement to ask ECE standard certified helmets to adhere to ISI? There can't be bigger stupidity than this.
Fred The Head is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 09:31   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcussantiago View Post
That said, so far I haven't heard of anyone getting hassled for having a good helmet without an ISI mark. At least not here in Delhi. So perhaps this is one of those laws that will end up not really being enforced in any meaningful way.
First things first, so far, even I too havent heard of any riders facing trouble with the cops for wearing a non ISI helmet. And I dont expect that there ever will be.

The impact from all these updates has been on
- retailers. Everyone can just clear current stocks but cannot legally source new helmets that do not have the ISI certification. An ISI certified KYT helmet is as safe as an ECE only certified KYT helmet.
- riders who want to buy new imported helmets. Once current stocks run out, its ISI helmets only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred The Head View Post
I am not sure how you seem to have reached the conclusion that lot of riders have come around to accepting the fact that helmets have to be ISI certified. The number of posts expressing outrage is far more than the ones expressing acceptability to this regressive decision.
A lot of the initial outrage was based on the "ISI standards, lol" mindset of most Indian riders. Once they got to know that it is the same as ECE standards, many of them have come around to accepting that
- there is no compromise in safety if you buy an ISI helmet. No company has to / or can, dumb down an ECE helmet to get the ISI certification.
- you gotta pay to play. If you want to sell your products in another country, you have to meet their local regulations. Even if it is a copy of international regulations. That is how business in a global economy works.

Quote:
Everyone rejoicing in pride and thumping chests about some new Indian standard for helmet certification - Let me break it to you that those Indian Standards are nothing but a near 100% replica of ECE certification standards.
Yes, we have discussed the same earlier on the forum, you can find one post of mine regarding this here (Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet).

Quote:
Now, coming to the weight limit - if you cap the weight of the helmet at 1200 gms, some of the brands that wont make the cut would be - Arai, Shoei, AGV, MT, Caberg, HJC, Acerbis etc. That shouldn't be the area of focus to understand what's happening but you should focus on the brands that will make the cut. It would be - as you guessed - Studds, Vega, entry level models of KYT, Bell, HJC etc.
To my knowledge, the weight limit cap isnt being enforced due to the ambiguity around it. At least in the new ISI helmets that I have seen, the weight was above 1,200 grams. So there is nothing to worry about it.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 12:41   #81
BHPian

https://www.thehindu.com/todays-pape...le38316407.ece

Non-ISI Helmets banned in India-f5086948703d419d9f4a7702e494cedb.jpeg

On another note, I just bought an Axxis helmet because my existing helmets don’t have ISI sticker. It looks great, but feels very flimsy and the foam is squishy (very soft) compared to my old Axor and LS2 helmets.

Non-ISI Helmets banned in India-ba31015e603e4b5597d50d1be2d3ccea.jpeg

Last edited by amvj : 24th January 2022 at 13:01.
amvj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 20:58   #82
BHPian

I went to a nearby automobile spares shop and the shopkeeper looked into my helmet and said that the I should not wear it. He pointed that the helmet has an ISI sticker instead of print.

On the other hand, I find the DOT certification is a print. Is he telling the truth?
I mean stickers are not allowed ?

Non-ISI Helmets banned in India-567bcf19df4c477394ada8a3e78bac15.jpeg

Non-ISI Helmets banned in India-1b6f9edec94e4f828629a39f3d9050ae.jpeg

Last edited by amvj : 17th June 2022 at 21:18.
amvj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 22:23   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
I went to a nearby automobile spares shop and the shopkeeper looked into my helmet and said that the I should not wear it. He pointed that the helmet has an ISI sticker instead of print.

On the other hand, I find the DOT certification is a print. Is he telling the truth?
I mean stickers are not allowed ?
I havent really seen the post ISI rule Axxis helmets, so I dont know if all their helmets have a sticker on the side, like what is on your helmet. It is rather unusual to have any safety stickering on the side. The certification and weights are usually at the back of the helmet. Even the weight being offset to one side, is most unusual.

Perhaps you should cross check other new Axxis helmets at nearby store, to see if the labels / stickers are the same as yours.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 16:08   #84
BHPian

Hey guys, How strict is the ISI rule in your cities ? I have heard Bangalore cops imposing fine for Non ISI helmets.
It is not an issue in my town but might move to Bangalore .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks