Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2014, 21:51   #1531
BHPian

re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Which one did you go in for Ricci, iridium or smoked?
I got a clear visor even for the spare. The shop didn't have tinted, will get those later. Have not tried the visor removal yet, but yes, I saw it in the shop and seems simple.

There are now many brands of helmets from SE Asia. Not just THH, but KYT , OGK , which I'd never even heard of , suddenly arrive in our market. I'd rather skip those brands. The very first google hit for KYT, for example, is Planet DGS. They don't even have their own site , and claim to be Malaysia's biggest helmet manufacturer (as per Autocar India's report when DSG tied up with KYT).
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 09:43   #1532
Senior - BHPian

I got a HJC CL 17 Osiris from Biking spirit St Mark's road. It cost 15k. At first I couldn't stomach the high price but it fit me so well especially it accommodated my spectacles that after a bit of hesitation I got it.
Never regretted that decision. The helmet gives me a small cocoon around my head and blocks out a lot of noise.Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20141104_174233.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20141104_174222.jpg
I am in the process of getting one for my wife who has a S head size. Where in Bangalore can I get one for her? Somewhere near Commercial street, Church street, Indiranagar?? I'm trying to avoid JC road.

Hi I just bought myself a pre worshiped 650. July 2013, done 3500 kms in pristine condition except for a small scratch on Lt fairing. Got a Spartan Helios jacket and a HJC CL 17 Osiris lid from Biking Spirit. Boots are undergoing some repair. Surprisingly, wify is also very happy to ride pillion after a bit of reluctance in the beginning. I need a good helmet for her as her size is small. Any pointers in Bangalore?

New ownership thread coming up with some pics.

Must thank rbp for the inputs for buying this bike.

Note from Support - Posts moved to the helmet thread so that you can get more suggestions from our members.

Last edited by n_aditya : 6th November 2014 at 09:58. Reason: Posts merged
Old 6th November 2014, 10:01   #1533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
I need a good helmet for her as her size is small. Any pointers in Bangalore?
Check out the Dainese store at the Orion mall. I did see some helmets in "S" size last time.

If you're unable to locate one, please don't make do with a larger size. Helmets MUST have a snug fit. You can also consider buying from Bike Bandit or Motorcycle Superstore or Revzilla (internet) and get it shipped over or have a friend carry it down. Their sizing guides are generally spot-on.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 11:21   #1534
Senior - BHPian

My Studds was getting unbearable. Not entirely the fault of the helmet. I bought the wrong size. I was wearing a Small size lid when the actual size was supposed to be Medium. The ride to work and back would result in this red patch on my forehead. It was tight fit. There was next to no air seal on the visor so as soon as you get going there was air coming in from all over the place. After ebonho mentioned about the Axor from Vega, I decided that I must go see and try this helmet. Emailed Vega and was advised to visit Helmet Paradise. I asked for the Axor and out came a nice beautiful white lid. The colour that I wanted too. The chap looked at me and judged the size as L. Took a look at the lid and the build quality was very impressive. It was comfortable too. Decided to pick it up but before that I felt I should try out Medium size. This was as very snug fit. I felt this around my cheeks and ear lobe. Though a snug fit is what is advised, I decided to play it safe and bought the L size. The mistake I made with buying the Studds was the reason I was hesitant to stick to the Medium size Axor. I bought the Large size Axor and the first thing that impressed was the tight air seal around the visor. There is no air slipping through at this point. It does find its way in and is reaching my ears though. This is happening at the visor hinge or through the bottom, I am not sure where exactly. This would not have been the case had I opted for the Medium size as it fits more snug. Though I would like to go back or atleast try the Medium size Axor, I doubt if the store will entertain this so I have decided to stick to the size I bought. On the overall, a very impressive helmet. DOT certification too which is rare at this price point. I paid Rs. 2100. Though its not much of a saving over the mrp of Rs. 2200, I felt there was no real need to bargain.

There is model called the Vega Cara too. I did not see it. Has dual visor setup and ventilation channel on the top.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 6th November 2014 at 11:32.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 12:50   #1535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I bought the Large size Axor and the first thing that impressed was the tight air seal around the visor.
Thanks for the report on the Axor Sandeep. Please let me know about wind noise at high speeds. As that's probably the only thing one cannot check in the shop.
Old 6th November 2014, 13:34   #1536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Please let me know about wind noise at high speeds.
I should have an answer for you by Tuesday. Heading to Pondicherry over the weekend so a good test is just around the corner.

I do ride on the highway for a good distance on my way back from work. Wind noise is on the higher side but its not coming through the visor seals. Its probably finding its way through the bottom or some place else. It is far from bad though. I also feel wind noise is higher as I opted for a larger size that does not make it a perfectly snug fit. There is a little gap around my ears and cheek. I am sure wind noise will be a lot less if the correct size is chosen.

Though it is not feasible, I wish the store allows us to try out the helmets (ride) before making a purchase. I wonder how this works in other parts of the world.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 6th November 2014 at 13:40.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 13:50   #1537
Senior - BHPian

One problem with buying even a Vega helmet for 4,000 INR at a smaller city like Coimbatore is that the stocks are pretty old, as they seldom sell helmets costing over 2000.

My Vega helmet is 9 months old now, and already the glue on the beading are drying and giving up, the air deflector came off about 2 months ago, and now slowly most plastic and rubber fittings that are usually glued, are coming apart!
Old 6th November 2014, 14:45   #1538
Senior - BHPian

Can someone suggest a good helmet shop near Whitefield, Marathalli in Bangalore?

My usage is for city commute that too I use Motor-Cycle 2 - 4 days in a month. I have my old helmet with ISI mark but I want to replace it with better quality one. Also, my head size is little bigger than normal so I would not like ordering online for size issues.
Old 6th November 2014, 17:24   #1539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
My Studds was getting unbearable. Not entirely the fault of the helmet. I bought the wrong size. I was wearing a Small size lid when the actual size was supposed to be Medium. The ride to work and back would result in this red patch on my forehead. It was tight fit. There was next to no air seal on the visor so as soon as you get going there was air coming in from all over the place. After ebonho mentioned about the Axor from Vega, I decided that I must go see and try this helmet. Emailed Vega and was advised to visit Helmet Paradise. I asked for the Axor and out came a nice beautiful white lid. The colour that I wanted too. The chap looked at me and judged the size as L. Took a look at the lid and the build quality was very impressive. It was comfortable too. Decided to pick it up but before that I felt I should try out Medium size. This was as very snug fit. I felt this around my cheeks and ear lobe. Though a snug fit is what is advised, I decided to play it safe and bought the L size. The mistake I made with buying the Studds was the reason I was hesitant to stick to the Medium size Axor. I bought the Large size Axor and the first thing that impressed was the tight air seal around the visor. There is no air slipping through at this point. It does find its way in and is reaching my ears though. This is happening at the visor hinge or through the bottom, I am not sure where exactly. This would not have been the case had I opted for the Medium size as it fits more snug. Though I would like to go back or atleast try the Medium size Axor, I doubt if the store will entertain this so I have decided to stick to the size I bought. On the overall, a very impressive helmet. DOT certification too which is rare at this price point. I paid Rs. 2100. Though its not much of a saving over the mrp of Rs. 2200, I felt there was no real need to bargain.

There is model called the Vega Cara too. I did not see it. Has dual visor setup and ventilation channel on the top.
If you haven't used it much. You can go back to Ramesh and ask for a replacement as you have chosen the wrong size. They are usually accommodating. At least to me he was. No harm trying.
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 18:24   #1540

Looking for some advice here guys... Please can you help.

Confused between the Studds Open Face and the LS2 open face helmets. One costs 1050/- and the other costs about 5300/-

My ride is mostly within the city and I prefer the open faced helmet for the comfort it provides. Is the extra money really worth it?
Old 6th November 2014, 18:50   #1541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABS9 View Post
Looking for some advice here guys... Please can you help.

Confused between the Studds Open Face and the LS2 open face helmets. One costs 1050/- and the other costs about 5300/-

My ride is mostly within the city and I prefer the open faced helmet for the comfort it provides. Is the extra money really worth it?
On the topic of open face , check out the fastrack(yep the titan brand which makes watch , sunglasses etc ) range . I am using a half helmet with visor for 6 months now and so far it has been more than satisfactory . The printed price is/was around 3000/- but I purchased it for 2100/- (flipkart) . Size selected was one higher than what my head measurement read and it fits me perfectly . I used a studds before which lost shape inside after 6 months - size makes a big difference so be careful before purchasing online . They also have half face without visors for around 1,800 if I recall correctly - from image it looks like same helmet as mine minus visor/color difference.

The helmet is desi ISI mark though , no DOT or other international certification so if you are particular about that , LS2 etc might be the way to go . Build quality for the price paid is more than acceptable .

To your original question , I cannot reply but wished to add an option in between
basuroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 07:35   #1542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
You can go back to Ramesh and ask for a replacement as you have chosen the wrong size. They are usually accommodating.
That is nice to know. I think I will stick with the L size. I was paying a little more attention to the fit yesterday. The area around my forehead is already snug in terms of fit. It is the ear lobe and cheek area that is not as snug as it should be. I feel the Medium size may end up like my Studds (around the forehead) and I don't think Ramesh would be too happy if I go back for the third time.
Old 7th November 2014, 07:39   #1543
Senior - BHPian

Spartan progear chennai has stopped selling SOL helmets(location too has changed), went there to get hot weather jacket yesterday and found that they have replaced SOL with MT helmets.
Old 7th November 2014, 09:11   #1544
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Spartan progear chennai has stopped selling SOL helmets(location too has changed), went there to get hot weather jacket yesterday and found that they have replaced SOL with MT helmets.
Old news. They have switched loyalties nearly an year ago.

MT helmets are very good what what they offer at that price point. The revenge model in particular is much better than SOL ones.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 09:19   #1545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
MT helmets are very good what what they offer at that price point. The revenge model in particular is much better than SOL ones.
I have an MT Revenge. The quality is very good, and what you get at that price point is amazing. The outer shell has a different shape so it looks bulkier, which is only nitpicking I've been able to do with it so far.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks