Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2015, 11:14   #1681
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Pretty sure there are no snell approved open face helmets. There's a modular one (and the only one) by hjc that's snell approved. A big part of snell certification is the chin protection. Kinda moot in case of an open face helmet

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 16th March 2015 at 11:15.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 13:41   #1682
Senior - BHPian

I was looking at the AGV helmet being sold by Royal Enfield online.

http://store.royalenfield.com/collec...ucts/mlg-white

Is the pricing correct since I know RE will charge more since it is being sold by them.
The same AGV may be selling at a lower price outside.
Old 24th March 2015, 11:55   #1683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post

Is the pricing correct since I know RE will charge more since it is being sold by them.
If i was in your place and lived in Bangalore. i would head straight to the Dainese store and see the official AGV helmets available there.

4k for the helmet shown in the link by agv is not bad at all.
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 14:20   #1684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post

This line --> Exclusively designed and manufactured for Royal Enfield by AGV Italy -- I kinda find it dicey. not sure how much of it is true.

as speedy mentioned - Just walk into the Dainese show room at Orion mall if you are serious about AGV helmets.
Shubz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 15:27   #1685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
If i was in your place and lived in Bangalore. i would head straight to the Dainese store and see the official AGV helmets available there.

4k for the helmet shown in the link by agv is not bad at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
This line --> Exclusively designed and manufactured for Royal Enfield by AGV Italy -- I kinda find it dicey. not sure how much of it is true.

as speedy mentioned - Just walk into the Dainese show room at Orion mall if you are serious about AGV helmets.
From what I heard on another thread, this AGV is manufactured with MPA and should cost around 2-3k outside of Enfield.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...rchandise.html

I will visit Dainese . Thanks guys!
Old 24th March 2015, 15:39   #1686
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Pretty sure there are no snell approved open face helmets. There's a modular one (and the only one) by hjc that's snell approved. A big part of snell certification is the chin protection. Kinda moot in case of an open face helmet

Eventually bought a LS2 Open face ECE R-22-05 approved helmet.
Passed the Scrutiny.
Old 25th March 2015, 10:55   #1687
BHPian

Been testing out the new helmet from Spartan Pro Gear called Kranos. Here are the initial impressions:

1. Helmet is extremely light, especially when compared to SOL or MT.
2. It's so light that the dual certification of DOT and ECE looks dubious.
3. It's well ventilated, maybe a bit too much at the mouth.
4. Rear of the helmet above the spine is too high up, looks weird, would call it a design flaw.
5. Padding is soft, but has a very cloth-y feeling to it, unlike the spong-y one you get with MT or SOL. Wearing goggles inside the helmet is possible, unlike the hard padded HJCs.
6. Removing and putting back the visor is a pain. Looks easy, sounds easy, but isn't easy.
7. The left strap with double D rings is fit too far up. Impossible to use it without removing gloves. Very difficult to button up the strap even without gloves.
8. Front nose piece of gigantic! Takes a while getting used to, is very irritating to begin with.
9. Shell is nice, fits snug on the head. Available in only M, L and XL. No country for people with small heads.
10. Wind noise is controlled, nearly the same level as an MT or a SOL.

Will write a detailed article once finished with it.

Note from Support - Post edited. Please keep it clean and avoid using slang in your posts. Please read the forum rules before submitting any more posts.

Last edited by n_aditya : 25th March 2015 at 11:23. Reason: removed words such as screwing. this kind of language is not allowed.
RiderZone is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2015, 11:44   #1688
BHPian

AGV K3 Wake Up 2010 comes home. Treat for a VR|46 fan!

Finally my pursuit for owning a premium came to happy end when after a lot of thinking, decision making and review watching/reading I booked for myself an AGV K3 in the superbly looking Valentino Rossi graphics. I'm a fan of AGV helmets in Rossi graphics and loved the Corsa and PistaGP helmets. As of now I cant afford owning one and the newly launched K3-SV range does not lure me due to the internal sun-visor (I hate dual visor systems) so zeroed down to the older and tried and tested K3 range.

I purchased my helmet from www.bikegear.in the owner Saurabh Gupta is very warm and helpful guy. BikeGear guys are now transformed totally to provide the best brands and original original products at the best price in India. Also their service is nice with my helmet delivered to me in committed 15days time. As informed they get their gears from Italy. That made my buying experience even more special (AGV, VR\46 & Italy what more I can ask for )

Now came the point where I had to choose the graphics. Wanted to own the 5 continents (Its one of the most loved design in the K3 range) was out of stock and even my 2nd desired Dreamtime was out of stock. So then decided to go for Wake Up 2010 as its the helmet graphics Rossi had on his helmet in 2010 at Misano race when he came back to racing after his crash in 2010. So again another brownie point for me to have this special helmet

Now the helmet ownership experience:

Weight: Its very light helmet. And wearing one did not make me feel any weight.

Graphics and Build Quality: Build quality is typical AGV and is top notch. Graphics looks really superb looks like a well crafted paint job. No unevenness or spots or anything. You get a totally upmarket product against the price paid.

Comfort & Fit: Have got L size and the fit is very snug and good. Helmet comes with a padding that is not too comfy and soft buy it aint that hard too. It is just a right balance of snug yet a comfortable to wear fitting.

Wind Noise & Ventilation: Having owned a Daijya, Sparx S-07 and Airoh PitOne XR before found this helmet to be quieter than all the ones I owned before. I own a KTM Duke 390 and at higher speeds I felt more comfortable and quieter than all of my previous helmets. Now coming to the ventilation. its really good. Chin and top vents do an excellent job of keeping me cool and comfy inside the helmet on the hottest of the summer days in Goa so far for me.

The helmet did not come with Double D-Ring closure came with retention fastener instead which I feel is a downer. And come with a clear visor. Tinted or Iridium visor will set one back by almost 3750 INR. And the helmet cost me 15,500 INR which I feel is a good price I paid for a helmet this good and legendary. But I have one last thing to say. This is a helmet way ahead in quality and build for an entry level premium helmet and BikeGear is the best in India for competitive prices. I shall come back to them for my next purchase of Alpinestars AST Air Jacket.

Any more queries feel free to ask. Hope this could be of help to you all

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20150326_110801227.jpg
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20150326_110825909.jpg
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20150326_110841554.jpg
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20150326_110853415.jpg
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20150326_110901273.jpg
akshayhonda is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 19:31   #1689
BHPian

Folks, a friend who bought his MT Helmet a few months back has started to feel pressure points on the back of his head, right near the scalp.

Any solutions to resolve this? Can someone elaborate on the back-of-the-spoon method?
Old 10th April 2015, 14:17   #1690
Senior - BHPian

MT Axxis helmet: Short review

I have recently got myself MT Axxis helmet - DOT as well as ECE certified. Been using it for 4 months now.

Pros-
1.Superb fitting. maybe my head shape is a bit different , but I could never get a proper fitting with my previous Vega helmet.
2.Removeable Liners-Cleaning is made easy
3.Adjustable vents - you can decide the airflow you want.
4.Visors are available - At times it gets difficult to procure the visors of certain brands. They are also a quick release ones. Easy to swap day/night visors.
5.Double D strap - Infinite adjustment possible

Cons-
1.A bit bulbous shape - doesn't fit in Vespa under-seat storage, Vega does fit.
2.Wind noise - a tad higher (only if all vents kept open) , but you get used to it.

Here are two pics that I took.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20150410_140115616.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20150410_140128795.jpg

Note- there is no scratch/blemish on the visor, its just the flash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Could someone please recommend a rubbing compound to buff up the helmet face shield / visor
If you just want to clean, you can do what I do. I use spectacle lens' cleaner that I use to clean my glasses with. Just apply little on tissue paper (plain white) and clean your visor. You will see improvement immediately.

Please do not apply rubbing compound as that will actually decrease the thickness of the visor. Incase your visor is scratched, replacing it is the best solution.
Old 17th April 2015, 19:08   #1691
BHPian

Friends i ride an RC390 with an ls2 helmet.

I feel ls2 helmets are too heavy (1.5 kgs). I need a helmet which is the lightest as i have developed pain in my shoulders because of neck stress.

Budget is not a problem and long distances are the main concern, it would be better if it doesn't stress my neck more.

Note from Support - Please include spaces between sentences, commas and full stops. Paragraph your posts as it makes for an easier read.

Last edited by n_aditya : 21st April 2015 at 12:33.
Old 17th April 2015, 19:42   #1692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitninja View Post
Friends i ride a rc 390 with a ls2 helmet.I feel ls2 helmets are too heavy (1.5 kgs).I need a helmet which is the lightest as i have developed pain in my shoulders because of neck stress.budget is not a problem and long distances are the main concern,it would be better if it doesn't stress my neck more.
1.5Kg is not considered heavy for good quality full face helmets (DOT, SNELL, ECE, SG approved). In fact it is the highest point in the bell curve for helmet weights. (see WebBikeWorld). Some modular full face helmets can go up to 1.9kg and still feel comfortable. That said, a helmet may feel heavy if the weight is not distributed evenly by design and also if there is a mismatch in riding position compared to the helmet design.

Weight distribution in helmet design is easy to understand and feel by trying on a helmet. Impact of riding position is a bit tricky because one can't test this in a showroom.

Riding positions can be upright for classic, enduro or sport touring bikes, slightly tucked in, or fully tucked in for sports bikes. Helmets are designed accordingly. If there is a mismatch, not only the airflow inside the helmet, but the drag and wind buffeting at higher speeds also gets impacted.

Do some research, figure out your own riding style and then choose the correct helmet appropriately. Anthony of Revzilla.com does great video reviews on almost every possible helmet available in the market. Once you get the right match, that 1.5 Kg weight will not feel a bit on your head. Go with the popular brands and you can't go wrong. AGV, Shoei, Arai, Schuberth, Shark, Nolan, Bell, Icon make some very decent lids. I'm not so sure about LS2. You own a great world class bike, do invest in a comparably competent lid.
Old 27th April 2015, 13:33   #1693
Distinguished - BHPian

With my recent fall, I need to get myself a new helmet and I thought I will stick to HJC since it served me well. I was doing a bit of research on their model lines and was looking at their FG and RPHA 10 offerings but Lets Gear Up doesnt have any helmets and X Torque in HSR only had LS2s and some other brand. It looks as though PRS is importing the next consignment sometime in May and by my guess, the store in Bangalore should have new stock by June. Anyone with first hand experience of using the RPHA 10 helmets? Assuming PRS does import these, I would love to get myself either of the following DOT, SNELL and ECE22.05 approved helmets that should retail for around Rs 30,000.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-jl.jpg
Jorge Lorenzo Replica

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-aa85f6c3241e798fa0599b44c7a012ad.jpg
Ghost Fuera

The twist in the tale is I will be making a foreign trip in May and I know of a store that is willing to sell X Lite (a Nolan brand) X802R helmets for around the same cost. There's not too much out there on X Lite helmets except for their light weight (1250 grams) and ECE 22-05 certification. They arent sold in the US so you wont find US safety test approvals. This Carlos Checa replica does look smashing though.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-xlitex802rcarloscheca.jpg

I found this on one of the websites selling the X Lite helmet - Each part was carefully designed considering top performance and developed along an experimental and test scheme in the MotoGP. Already at the beginning of the 2008 motorcycle racing season, Casey Stoner, Jorge Lorenzo, and other riders sponsored by Nolan Group, tested and experimented many of the innovative technical solutions found on this helmet which is now available for the most serious and demanding riders.

To go for the X Lite with ECE certification or hold on and hope that PRS imports some RPHA10 helmets in the next set (while I use my MPA AGV as a standby?). The confusions arising from choice. Thoughts anyone?
Old 27th April 2015, 21:07   #1694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
Been testing out the new helmet from Spartan Pro Gear called Kranos. Here are the initial impressions:

Will write a detailed article once finished with it.
[/b]
How has the intial one month of using the helmet been? I plan to buy the same brand of helmet this coming weekend and wanted to know your firsthand usage report on how comfortable it is. Also what is your feedback regarding the safety of the helmet. I've heard that Kranos is an MT brand so I guess the DOT and ECE certification should be genuine. Or at least I hope so!
Your timely inputs are much appreciated.
Old 28th April 2015, 01:39   #1695
BHPian

Has anyone used AXR Helmets? I am getting a good deal for 5k on the Scorpio range. This fits my budget. Any reviews?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks