Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2015, 17:52   #1816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Sojo, I have heard that they are made in Spain and not China. Need to verify though. The one consistent negative I have heard with MT helmets is that they take a really long time to break in. I have found my HJC CL 17 helmet breaking in and becoming comfortable within a few rides though my current Nolan took a little longer. Nowhere close to an MT though.
My Nolan took like 3,000km to break in. But once broken in, wow, I could wear it all day every day for 15 days.
Old 3rd November 2015, 20:00   #1817
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

All,

From which website does one buy helmets online in India? I need to source a MT matrix track spirit in L size.
Old 3rd November 2015, 20:08   #1818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
SunnyBoi, as good as it is I am sure the helmet is nearing its end of life. Most helmet companies say you should get yourself a new lid every 5 years. That doesn't have to be the gospel truth but its more of an indicative timeline. I remember reading an article which said a helmet loses 20% of its safety over a period of 10 years even with good maintenance and care.
Ofcourse, I only use that helmet in my hometown - puttering around the town at 30KMPH on my dad's kinetic

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20151103_173733001.jpg

I have an AGV K4 Evo and Suomy Extreme I use with my bikes back in Bangalore apart from a special Arai Corsair V for highway trips and trackdays
Old 4th November 2015, 11:05   #1819
BHPian

Quote:
Helmet stores only. Bike dealers add a massive markup. What is your budget? Which helmets are you looking for?
Budget is around 4-6K. I commute 30Kms everyday within city. Not sure about brands. Looking for something good in terms of safety, looks and comfortable..
Old 4th November 2015, 12:47   #1820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
Budget is around 4-6K. I commute 30Kms everyday within city. Not sure about brands. Looking for something good in terms of safety, looks and comfortable..
MT Axxis(Basic MT with loads of color options and great safety standards) or Revenge(Sharp rated 5 and has NFC chip. Not sure if they are still available) or Blade (has a sun visor as well). HJC basic one is also around 6K I think.

Dealers are mentioned in link

Make sure you check enough YouTube to find out how a helmet should fit. A non fitting helmet as good as nothing at all.
Sojogator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 12:50   #1821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
MT Axxis(Basic MT with loads of color options and great safety standards) or Revenge(Sharp rated 5 and has NFC chip. Not sure if they are still available) or Blade (has a sun visor as well). HJC basic one is also around 6K I think.

Dealers are mentioned in link

Make sure you check enough YouTube to find out how a helmet should fit. A non fitting helmet as good as nothing at all.
I heard that the Revenge has been discontinued. None of the dealers seem to have it.
Old 5th November 2015, 16:15   #1822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
i personally use a Studds Ninja (approx 10 years old). But most of the new kids on the block swear by LS2 TRON. i saw this on my colleagues desk and its looks pretty good, feels light, easily washable and the dude says great performance at high speed as well.
Whatever you buy, buy a full face one.
Old 5th November 2015, 16:30   #1823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
i personally use a Studds Ninja (approx 10 years old)
Please upgrade. Even if it's perfectly fine, it's long since it's shelf life.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 09:20   #1824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Please upgrade. Even if it's perfectly fine, it's long since it's shelf life.
the Shell is pretty hard. the inners are washed regularly. the skull cap lining has been padded with balaclava cloth (spandex + polyester and polygiene - to remove odour).
In my humble opinion there is no shelf life for helmets. It depends on how you maintain it, how it has been used and more importantly - how it has been stored.
Fyi - my dad has a 1981 Studds Vintage green with black stripe helmet. shall post a pic when i get a chance. you would be surprised on how new it looks. Back then, skull cap lining was reinforced with grade 3 thermocol. IN the 90s he replaced them with foam. But that generated head and lead to hair loss. Now the lining mix is the same as i have.
FuelInjector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 13:17   #1825
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
All,
From which website does one buy helmets online in India? I need to source a MT matrix track spirit in L size.
Why do you want to get it online? MT helmets are available in Cochin. Check with AutoQueen or DJ helmets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Ofcourse, I only use that helmet in my hometown - puttering around the town at 30KMPH on my dad's kinetic

I have an AGV K4 Evo and Suomy Extreme I use with my bikes back in Bangalore apart from a special Arai Corsair V for highway trips and trackdays
Lol, that explains it! From your earlier posts, I knew you have an enviable collection of helmets so I was wondering about the MPA AGV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
the Shell is pretty hard. the inners are washed regularly. the skull cap lining has been padded with balaclava cloth (spandex + polyester and polygiene - to remove odour).
In my humble opinion there is no shelf life for helmets. It depends on how you maintain it, how it has been used and more importantly - how it has been stored.
Fyi - my dad has a 1981 Studds Vintage green with black stripe helmet. shall post a pic when i get a chance. you would be surprised on how new it looks. Back then, skull cap lining was reinforced with grade 3 thermocol. IN the 90s he replaced them with foam. But that generated head and lead to hair loss. Now the lining mix is the same as i have.
A quick search on the topic will reveal that there is a shelf life for helmets. With regular usage, it is proven that there is degradation in safety levels over time. In fact, it is recommended to not buy old helmets as they will be nearing the end of their suggested lifetime of 7 years from manufacture (even if they are unused).

15 minutes of research can make a big difference. If I were you, I would replace them without a second thought. Of course everyone has their own opinions on safety.
neil.jericho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 22:26   #1826
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

I'm looking to pick up a couple of good helmets for my parents (elderly) who both ride (mostly in the city, on an Activa). Any recommendations on where to go in Mysore? Also, what budget range should I look at for a solid safe helmet?

Apologies if this is already in the thread but it's rather long and I didn't go through all of it. Thanks!

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 18th November 2015 at 22:28.
Old 19th November 2015, 12:24   #1827
Senior - BHPian

Anyone with Shoei? Any clue on how long it takes to break it? I have used it for a few long rides, example: Kanyakumari & Back. Cochin & Back. Besides our sunday rides. Yet the pressure point on forehead seems to remain. Not as intense as it was during the Kanyakumari ride. but it remains.

I also have another theory - If i wear the riding sunglasses, it comes on. It comes on a lot later if I am just using the Internal visor.

Any inputs welcome

Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 12:57   #1828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Any inputs welcome Thanks
It could also be due to a mismatch in shape of your head. The symptoms you describe are if an oval head shape wears a round shape helmet. It's a very bad practise of retailers here that they don't disclose what head shape a particular helmet model caters to. Two good resources of info on your helmet's shape type are at webbikeworld and revzilla.

The other critical bit is to determine your own head shape.

This is an image scan of my actual head measurement - intermediate oval.
I took a thin aluminium wire and wrapped it closely around my head. Later I unfolded it to take circumference measurements. I always use it while ordering helmets online.
Name:  MyHeadMeasurement.png
Views: 2202
Size:  96.0 KB
Old 19th November 2015, 13:04   #1829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
It could also be due to a mismatch in shape of your head.

. Two good resources of info on your helmet's shape type are at webbikeworld and revzilla.

The other critical bit is to determine your own head shape.

Attachment 1441296
Thanks for the prompt response.

Mismatch - Possible.
Reviews on Revzilla/WBW etc were repeatedly read.
Shape of the head - I have done similar exercises, but not with a aluminium wire. but with a thread and measured the circumference on two axis and then arrived at the sizing.

The entire head snugly fits in - its only after about 100/130 kms of continuous riding - the pressure is felt. if I wear the shades -- that too i slide them over the balaclava. the pressure is felt in about 70/80 kms and becomes quite intense.

So any remedies? (please don't tell me -- change the helmet )
Old 19th November 2015, 13:24   #1830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
So any remedies? (please don't tell me -- change the helmet )
Yes mate, no one in their sane minds would ask you to change a Shoei!

Looks like you ride a cruiser so I assume an upright riding position? The only upright position full face Shoei & that too with an internal visor I'm familiar with is the GT Air. In case it is not and is meant for a tucked up riding position that could be the other culprit.

It seems that during riding your helmet's balance is somehow tilting to the front or back and putting pressure on your forehead. Try adjusting the cheek pads or the support around the neck area to see if it helps in getting a better balance.

Basically when one is standing upright, the position at which the helmet feels the lightest is the correct balance position and that needs to be maintained during the ride. Mostly impacted by a loose fit somewhere.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks