Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2016, 19:47   #1861
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Any ideas on how to negate the limited wind noise I'm still hearing? If there's any web tutorial in this regard - please feel free to simply point me there!
Here's what you can try:

- Tape up, not just close the vents on the helmets. Some of them have an annowying whistle when open. Gmax aka SOL helmets have very flimsy vents and do not shut out air flow completely even when fully closed
- Use a chin curtain. Helps reduce noise but it makes the helmet fog up in winters and drastically reduces air flow in summers. I always ride without one
- The best option of course is getting ear plugs. It is an aquired taste however and while some would never ride the shortest distance without them, others cant stand it. But this is the most effective way to make your helmet significantly quieter

Hope this helps
Old 12th January 2016, 19:55   #1862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
The best option of course is getting ear plugs. It is an aquired taste however and while some would never ride the shortest distance without them, others cant stand it. But this is the most effective way to make your helmet significantly quieter
I can vouch for this option. I was in the second camp until I tried a ride with ear plugs on. I was using an LS2 at that time (SOL now) which was quite noisy. Using the ear plugs reduced the wind noise to a bare minimum while not drowning out the ambient vehicle noises/presence. It was a revelation to say the least and now even on my SOL (same matte black model SF1 i guess- their model number are confusing!!), i use ear plugs. The ride feels very comfortable and due to lower wind noise the fatigue is a lot less as well. On a 400km one day ride, I was not as fatigued as I would be earlier with the LS2-No-Ear-Plug combo on a similar/lesser distance. While majority of the credit would be due to the helmet too and this one being new, the reduced wind noise does have an impact on lesser fatigue.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 12th January 2016 at 19:57.
Old 12th January 2016, 20:01   #1863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Here's what you can try:

- Tape up, not just close the vents on the helmets. Some of them have an annowying whistle when open. Gmax aka SOL helmets have very flimsy vents and do not shut out air flow completely even when fully closed
- Use a chin curtain. Helps reduce noise but it makes the helmet fog up in winters and drastically reduces air flow in summers. I always ride without one
- The best option of course is getting ear plugs. It is an aquired taste however and while some would never ride the shortest distance without them, others cant stand it. But this is the most effective way to make your helmet significantly quieter

Hope this helps
1. Check. Courtesy the most awesome invention since sliced bread - duct tape! I had to do this at 10:45pm on the road itself, because i was really tired and the wind noise was jarring at that time!
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_4280.jpg
2. Check. That was an OEM accessory.
3. I had them on the ride for a different reason - but forgot to use them. Will do so next time

Last edited by phamilyman : 12th January 2016 at 20:03. Reason: wrong pic!
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 21:13   #1864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
There's a store in Bhandup if you don't mind travelling which keeps helmets. I would suggest picking one up from Andheri or Bandra though as more choices are available here. Good luck with helmet shopping!
Hope I'm not too late to the party. Finally picked up an SF-1 Cobra myself from Babloo Motors, Vashi. Thanks, Aman! But I'd like the details of the two stores that you mentioned cause things have a tendency to go sideways.

Placed the order on Sunday and had my father pick it up earlier today.

However, when I inspected the product, I noticed that the locking mechanism isn't the double D-ring but the conventional slider/ratchet mechanism. I brought this up with the sales guy I was dealing with and he said that he too found this odd as the other SF-1 that came in too had with the same mechanism. He said that he'd get back to me tomorrow.

Make no mistake, I plan to pursue this further and get things right.

In the meantime, I've uploaded some pictures for your viewing pleasure.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-cover.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-front.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-side.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-back.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-clasp.jpg.

Last edited by rohan_cherian : 13th January 2016 at 21:25. Reason: Fragmenting
rohan_cherian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 17:17   #1865
BHPian

Booked a Yamaha R3 in Bangalore and expecting delivery next week.

I have decided to visit "Lets gear up" over the weekend to check out SOL helmets.
Can someone suggest other decent places in Bangalore and brands that can be considered for a budget of 5-6k
Old 14th January 2016, 19:58   #1866
BHPian

Are helmets allowed in cabin baggage?

Reason: I'm flying (rather than riding - for logistical reasons) to a destination to join a group ride using a hired Bullet. I will like to use my helmet rather than hired one. I would rather not put mine in check-in because the ways check-in baggage is treated even a helmet is not safe in there. I'm asking the question in this thread to get replies from helmet enthusiasts

Last edited by rahulsnh : 14th January 2016 at 20:00.
Old 14th January 2016, 20:04   #1867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsnh View Post
Allowed. I'd advise you to pack it well and add it to your check in luggage, though.
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 20:11   #1868
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would rather not put mine in check-in because the ways check-in baggage is treated even a helmet is not safe in there. I'm asking the question in this thread to get replies from helmet enthusiasts
I have carried my soumy, arai and agv inside check in luggage without issues. just put the helemt inside the supplied cloth bag and make sure nothing is loose inside the suitcase/bag.

A helmet is supposed to protect the rider from a bad accident. A dropped bag with helmet in it due to baggage mishandling should be nothing for it.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 10:50   #1869
BHPian

Quote:
I have carried a Helmet as cabin baggage. The helmet was packed in a box.
slicvic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2016, 12:55   #1870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I somehow find the wind noise to be there. Not anywhere near a cheap studds, but yet clearly audible. Even after taping up every silly vent on the helmet. Not sure what i did wrong but the helmet was really silent on the outward leg of the ride (600km) but I could clearly hear *some* noise on the return.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Let me get back to you on this regards.

The first when I wore it and did some decent speeds, there was a light hum which I didn't notice the next time. This was with the vents open. Let me try with all the vents shut.
I got a chance to check for wind noise yesterday and it was present at speeds closing to a ton. This was with vents shut. Surprisingly it wasn't there the first time I used and did some good speeds.
The only place I feel wind was getting in was from under my chin.
Doesnt matter much since it works well for the speeds I do and a balaclava will help.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 16:38   #1871
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahilkhurana View Post
Booked a Yamaha R3 in Bangalore and expecting delivery next week.

I have decided to visit "Lets gear up" over the weekend to check out SOL helmets.
Can someone suggest other decent places in Bangalore and brands that can be considered for a budget of 5-6k
SOL isn't perfect for that budget except its not so awesome vents.

Other folks claim MT Blade or HJC has zero wind noise. I would suggest checking other helmets basis Urban Nomad's excellent post:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3889343

I would suggest meeting up with other bikers and borrowing their helmets. Shops don't allow helmets to be test ridden so I would suggest borrowing helmets to make sure about wind noise at our modest budgets.
Old 22nd January 2016, 17:19   #1872
Senior - BHPian

Guys, looking to replace my daily helmet - a Cross helmet. I was looking online at Kronos and they seem very VFM. How are the prices these days? Around the 3.5k mark?
Old 22nd January 2016, 17:38   #1873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Guys, looking to replace my daily helmet - a Cross helmet. I was looking online at Kronos and they seem very VFM. How are the prices these days? Around the 3.5k mark?
Try looking at the Royal Enfield range of helmets also. Made by Vemar IIRC. Seemed pretty good for a daily run about

Other than that you have the usual suspects like KYT and MT
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2016, 17:19   #1874
BHPian

I am planning to buy a new helmet, pls suggest me a good light weight helmet at a price range of 5-6K and a good shop in Bangalore to buy one. My only criteria is the helmet should be as light as possible as I have neck pain and heavy helmets make things worst.

Vijay
Old 24th January 2016, 19:32   #1875
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Prices have gone up a bit to Rs 3750, IIRC. Just check Spartan Pro Gear's FB page to confirm latest prices. The good thing about them is the fact that pricing is very transparent nation wide, so you dont have different shopkeepers charging different rates for the same helmets like in the case with LS2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay_k View Post
I am planning to buy a new helmet, pls suggest me a good light weight helmet at a price range of 5-6K and a good shop in Bangalore to buy one. My only criteria is the helmet should be as light as possible as I have neck pain and heavy helmets make things worst.

Vijay
15 mins on this thread will tell you all you need to know, buddy.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed